Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Just got my zx-6r 2006 last night! It's sweet :) I love it even if i didnt havea the chance to drive it hard yet ... because of the breaking in period.

The owner's manual specify a really conservative procedure with not exceeding 4000 RPM for the first 300 km.. etc..

Then, the dealership told me I could run it a little bit harder, its ok. And now a body told me I should run it even harder! And I have 2 websites here telling that the actual soft breaking in procedure are bad, and that the bike should be ran hard to break in correctly.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/NewBike.html

What they say kind of make sense, but I would be more for something in between the soft and hard break-in. What are you thoughts ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's been lots of debating over which method is best, some people swear by one, and some people by the other. What I think most people will agree to, is that you really just need to keep the engine loaded - meaning no cruising at a constant rpm for very long. The best way to do it in my opinion is let it warm up, then start accelerating/decelerating through a few gears, making sure to let the engine slow you down instead of your brakes. Then just start easing into more rpms as the miles roll on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fliyin_solo.......

You should have just asked what everyones favorite color was :rotflmao

Go with the opinion you trust or go with the dealer. I've done both:headscratch

Race bike was broke in like a little bitch, I chose to break the 07 in by the manual, well sort of, with the exception of taking it to 6,000 vs. the 4,000 and I changed the oil at 200 miles myself. Stealership did the 600 mile.

I understand the "hard break in" gives more HP and I beleive that to be true. However, There isn't much backbone regarding longevity of an engine broke in that way. Most street bikes are not going to see the winners circle of any sort. So, with that said close your eyes and pick a method or do what I did and make up your own.

What colour is your favorite?:tard :dunno

·
Registered
498 Posts
From my point of view, just follow what the manual says... I've had owned 6 bikes and all of them i've followed what the manual says. It works for me. No problems regarding engine reliability and so forth... just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeah.. I guess there's no 100% answer here. My feeling is that Ill do like Cooken said... I dont want to run it too softly like the manual propose, what could polish the cylinders walls and wouldn't allow the seals to make a perfect fit like mentionned in the links above. But I don't feel quite comfortable to top it to the red line just quite yet.

Anyway.. Thanks for your input guys. At least, you made me realize one really important thing... My favourite colour is BLUE :crackup

·
Registered
87 Posts
i ran it fairly hard out of the box, not quite red lined, after about 300mile iv been wringing its neck!!!:crazyloco seems to be going fine so far (700 on clock)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dealer told me to keep to 6000rpm up til 300km and then up it 1000rpm/100km and it worked fine for me.(On my second bike). Now done 6800km hard riding, no leaks or problems!!!
Done my own exhaust mods and uncoupled exhaust valve and mine is running like a rocket! I am going to do a -1,+2 sprocket mod now but mainly for the track.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did what cooken said and my '06 has been fine. Think the most improtant thing is to take it up & down the rpm range as much as possible rather than crusing at steady rpm a lot :headscratch

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did what cooken said and my '06 has been fine. Think the most improtant thing is to take it up & down the rpm range as much as possible rather than crusing at steady rpm a lot :headscratch
Bingo. Make sure you don't do this on busy roads cause you'll piss a lot of people off doing the fast/slow thing, especially someone next to you trying to change into your lane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts