Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright. i know this is a kawasaki forum, but my wife is buying a sportbike this weekend, and not a ninja. :rolleyes despite many attempts to "suggest" the ninja, she likes the feel and comfort of the gsxr. my question is how should we break in her bike? i know the traditional easy break in period, but i also have heard the opposite method works even better.

i've seen samples (supposedly true) of pistons from both the traditional method and the ride it hard method and the hard method looks better! does anyone have any input?

here is a popular referenced article about this issue:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Hard all the way after trhe first 1000k

·
Registered
14 Posts
While i don't disagree with most of what is said, there is just something fishy about that site.

I do believe that the rings will seat within 50 miles or less but there is more to the break in than that. Everything that moves or gets hot will be affected by the break in.

Not to mention that if you have an new bike its probably not a bad idea to take it easy for a while so that you can learn to ride it better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
heres my input....i bought a brand new car in 2004...only had 3 miles on it from the dealership!

i dont care wat anyone says..i broke it in..drove it like a grandma for 3,000 miles...after that...i drove that thing pretty hard..and its hooked up..its a import...right now i got 50,000 miles on it...absolutely not one engine problem...

i did the exact same for my NINJA...i did exactly wat the dealer said on its break in sticker...i dont know, everything has been just fine...a big thing is change the oil alot in the beginning....im a big bike and car builder/modifier...and as i get a little older/wiser(sometimes dumber) i realize manufacturers are pretty smart and prolly know wat they are talking about -for the best performance/ life ratio KEY HERE- performance/life ratio..thats their J.O.B they aren't going to manufacture a "production" vehicle that is drag strip ready...cuz if it truly was it would only last 1000 miles or less..they have to R&D life and power together or they dont make money...their recomendations are gonna give u best of both worlds.. ya there are ways to increase power(break in hard) but this is short lives... life is sacrifised...you choose your route that suits you thats all....a bike has plenty of power...you literally got a Lambo' under your crotch...(look at 1/4 mile specs. its true) keep your bike life too!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the manual says the first oil change should be at 300 miles to get all the debris out, and then it didn't say a follow up oil change until 1,500. but i am going to change it at 300, 600, and lastly at 1,000 unless i come across some information to suggest otherwise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes 300, 600, and 1000, then wat ever the manual says...but my manual said at some intervals only change oil and not filter...thats because if you do change your oil before it is really broken down then the life of the filter is going to still be ok,,, i always change filter and oil...

and remember oil gets bad even if you dont ride your bike...so if you store your bike for a while and dont ride it...drain that oil and spill in some fresh stuff..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts