Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the world of motorcycles. I am not new to riding, I grew up riding ATVs and more importantly dirt bikes. I am aware that riding a dirt bike on a trail is vastly different than riding a motorcycle on the street. I have done a lot of reading of reviews, watched a lot of videos and browsed a lot of forums in helping me make a decision on my first purchase. I am pretty dead set on buying used, because I feel there is no need to pay full MSRP for a bike that I will undoubtedly lay down, might out grow or might find out is just not for me. I am looking at the 500-600 range, and I have read how most new riders should start at the 250 range. I was all about starting with a 250 bike, however there is a caveat. I am 6'7 and 270 pounds, basically I am a defensive lineman. So, I feel that the 250s are just a bit too small, and I have experienced this on a buddies ninja 250. Some bikes that I am looking at the Ninja 650r and the Yamaha FZ6R. That being said, I am by no means an expert and would like any further advice on these two bike, or potentially other bikes. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
258 Posts
I'm a d-lineman myself and I'm happy to see you already ruled out a 250. You would have regretted it, I did after about 20 minutes. I have had friends with both bikes you mentioned, I've ridden both, not extensively but enough to know what felt right. I would go with the 650r, it's more of a sit upright ride, pretty comfortable, and they're cheaper on insurance. Just my 2 cents. If you can try out both and see what feels right.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
I'm 6'7" 200lbs hockey player. I started on a 500 and then moved to the 750. the 500 was cheap, easy to work on, had enough omph to move my ass and was about as comfy as a street bike gets.

The 7 is very comfy and fast. haven't regretted either choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.