Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looks like AHRMA has finally put together a class for ZX7's to race as vintage superbikes. Anything from 1983 up to 1992 appears to be legal for the class. That's a solid kick in the nuts for anybody that just bought a 93 ZX7R, but that's life.:evil

http://www.vintagebikeracing.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1875

·
RRRRRR
3,587 Posts
Now if only wera would stop being pussies and afraid to upset the balance and status quo : they allow ZX7 TO 2003 but Gsxr750 to 95 ONLY in vintage as they know that it would clean the F up, and all the CBR6 and zx6 would be scrap, except for the lone Lance zx7/9..(sorry, I know this is a zx forum but that is the reality, and proven by the fact that they won't open the rules to srads).

Btw, i can't stop looking at the pics of your M1, would love another one, miss mine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yep was the same here in the uk,the golden era,the zx7r can be big bore,but the old 750 srad has to stay as it was no over sized pistion.....

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now if only wera would stop being pussies and afraid to upset the balance and status quo : they allow ZX7 TO 2003 but Gsxr750 to 95 ONLY in vintage as they know that it would clean the F up, and all the CBR6 and zx6 would be scrap, except for the lone Lance zx7/9..(sorry, I know this is a zx forum but that is the reality, and proven by the fact that they won't open the rules to srads).
I was irritated at first when I saw the AHRMA rules. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an ARHMA racer and never have been. I had thought it would be cool to go old school and build an old CB-whatever Honda to go beat up on the race track for fun, but hadn't got there yet.(actually building the bike).

When I saw these rules it was after I bought the 93 and I had no plans to race it. I thought about the rules for a little while and they made sense to me for a few reasons. Stopping at 92 allows a good mix of everything in there.You'll have the oil cooled gsxr's, FZ700 and 750 Yamahas, VFR Hondas, The RC30 and H,J and K model ZX7's. This offers the possibility of many bikes on the grid and that means more money for AHRMA (in entry fees). Going to newer bikes will have a tendency to muddy up the rules.

It can also be argued that the 96 to 2000 GSXR was sooo good (and it was) that it killed the 750 Supersport class in AMA because other manufactureres stopped fielding bikes in the class. It virtually became the GSXR cup overnight. Letting that bike into the vintage class would be like putting a pirrhana in a goldfish tank. Eventually all the goldfish will be gone and there will be just one fish in the tank. I used to love 750SS in AMA but by the time the 97 season came I had stopped watching it for these reasons.

i can't stop looking at the pics of your M1, would love another one, miss mine.
Thanks for the kind words. I've done nothing to this bike except go pick it up. The man who built it and maintained it deserves all the credit.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I was irritated at first when I saw the AHRMA rules. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an ARHMA racer and never have been. I had thought it would be cool to go old school and build an old CB-whatever Honda to go beat up on the race track for fun, but hadn't got there yet.(actually building the bike).

When I saw these rules it was after I bought the 93 and I had no plans to race it. I thought about the rules for a little while and they made sense to me for a few reasons. Stopping at 92 allows a good mix of everything in there.You'll have the oil cooled gsxr's, FZ700 and 750 Yamahas, VFR Hondas, The RC30 and H,J and K model ZX7's. This offers the possibility of many bikes on the grid and that means more money for AHRMA (in entry fees). Going to newer bikes will have a tendency to muddy up the rules.
Nobody in their right mind is going to put an RC30 on the track. There are only a handfull around and the bike is worshipped.

The GSXR was popular at the amateur level, but the ZX7 and Ducati 916 is what cleaned house in Superbike from 91-97 and 94+ for the Duke.

Honda/Bostrom won AMA in 98 Mat Mladin dominated from then on (well except Hayden and the RC51).

It does seem strange to limit a race class to a bunch of bikes that are harder to find and not too many care about. I have a feeling this will be the 1st and only year this class occurrs, if it even begins.

Seems better to just make a 750 Nostalgic superbike class, run whatcha brung.

Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts