Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just picked up a pretty clean 1993 ZX7 to add to the collection. I/m really excited about this bike as I remember looking at them in the showroom the first time around but couldn't afford one at them time.

The question I had was if the graphics on bike are stock. I have looked at tons of pics online of the '93 and the graphics look the same except for mine has a skull / head (flaming?) on it that I have not seen elsewhere. It is also clear coated (?) into the finish like all the other graphics and deff. not just a sticker stuck on. There are 3 of them (2 white and other flame colored) on each side.

Any thoughts or does any other '93's have this????

·
Registered
451 Posts
No those flaming heads aren't stock. Are they cleared?? I wouldn't know without seeing it but unless yge previous owner decided to reclear the bike I doubt it was clear coated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are for sure clear coated into the finish. There is no way you could just peel them off like a normal applied sticker. The thing that has me confused is that they appear of similar age to the bike and not something recently added. Also, there is not the normal signs of someone doing mods after factory such as crappy finish or orange peel, etc. Running my finger over the stickers I can't feel any difference between them and the stock graphics!?!?

I was a little thrown off when I went to purchase motorcycle as I would have thought they were something that could be taken back off (trust me, I have pulled many decals, stickers, etc. over them years and am good with the heat gun) and in person couldn't tell if they were factory or not when I realized they were permanent!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I would remove them... sand the clear coat off and remove the stickers carefully!!... then you can re clear with some 2K (2 part) cut in clear coat... wetsand, buff, polish.... then it will look much better...

You could do that in a day easily taking your time... wait 4-5 days for the cut in clear to set and then finish!!

Looks like you got a nice bike there aside from those gross looking skulls!!

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Those decals are not stock. Those are old school NO FEAR decals from that era. I know because I used to have some as well that I put on another bike I owned at the time. I agree with ZXgreen7r as I would remove them as well. You have a very nice bike there and Kawasaki got it right the first time with their paint and decals. No need to add to an already perfect scheme.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
They're all right,you know. It should look like this:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HaHa ...... thanks Subzero for clearing that up. The thing that was bugging me most (besides the looks) was that I knew I recognized those logos but couldn't place them!!!!! Hell, I probably had the same darn NO FEAR stickers on my jet ski or dirt bike back in the day! Why someone went to that much trouble to clear them in instead of just sticking on I'll never know?

Thanks for all the other great suggestions and help EXCEPTfor 2fat2fly's. Even when I get the darn stickers off, my bike STILL won't look like an "R" model!!!!!! If ya feel sorry for me we could always trade bikes???? lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And to ZXgreen7R, what would be the safest way to "sand" the clear coat off? Meaning, what grit sand paper, etc.? I just don't want to make it look worse.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
And to ZXgreen7R, what would be the safest way to "sand" the clear coat off? Meaning, what grit sand paper, etc.? I just don't want to make it look worse.
I would maybe try a razor 90 degrees to the suface on the face of the decal to see how thick the clear coat is... then once at the decal work your way out to the edges with 600 wet (using water to prevent clogging and scratches) once you get to the edge remove the decal... then carefully wet sand the 'lip' of clear coat left... if you do it carefully you may be able to wetsand and not even have to re-clear coat!!

look up some tutorials on youtube... things like removing a run from clearcoat will give you an idea

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Remember you are working on plastics!!! and not a steel tank!! so be careful

my described method will take time but yield the best result when being careful!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks a lot for all the great info!!! You guys rock! I think i got it figured out how to get those suckers off. Looks a lot easier then I previously thought. I've pulled tons of decals off bikes and other stuff but just never ones that had been cleared over.

Acutally, after watching the video of the tank stripe it reminded me of an R1 I had years ago with a similar clear coated stripe on tank. It always bugged me but was too scared to try and get it off. Now I'm sure I could have got it done in no time at all.

PS I've never tried wd-40 to loosen stickers up before. Usually I use 3m adheasive remover. Any one else ever gone the WD-40 route and if so, how did it work???

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I prefer to use a little heat and patients... once you start adding chemicals to the process you can add complications, they may distroy the clear coat, or leave a film that you have to remove with an even harsh'er cleaner..

I like my water and wet sand paper...

I would suggest the wetsanding method starting at the center of the decal and working out... 600 grit, 1200, grit, 2000 grit, buffing compound, then polish on a high speed buffer...

·
Registered
558 Posts
In the blue section , i think if you make it with Red , than it will look more attractive, however great work you have did, the bike is looking just wao......
WYF? Either english is your second language or you flunked out of second grade. :rotflmao
In case you don't know, that's a pristine set of 93 panels, taking the skulls off is a must, painting them is a sin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts