Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I picked up my new black 2012 zx-14r this weekend. Found one for sale with 800 miles near chicago, IL and could not resist. Price was too good. Problem (if you see it as a problem) is that I live near Tampa, FL. So my first ride on my new 14R was over 1100 miles. Left Illinois about 3am saturday morning 9/8/12 and rolled into my garage about noon on 9/9/11.

Prior to this purchase I owned a 09' Hayabusa and thought for sure that all the hype had to be exaggerated. I can't believe how awesome this bike is. The acceleration, shifting, handling, comfort, Everything. Just about as perfect as I could ever imagine. The bike has a voodoo exhaust. For anyone wondering how loud it is. It is ridiculously loud! Had to stop and buy foam ear plugs the second day into the trip home and it was still loud! My Busa had a hotbodies megaphone which seems whisper quiet comparatively. I don't recommend it if your into long trips. Overall, Leaps and bounds more awesome than my Hayabusa.

The only issue I have with the bike is that it's so tall. I'm 5'11 which, i think, is about average height. When I stop, I don't feel like both feet are firmly touching the ground. They are but it doesn't feel solid. I know lowering the bike a bit will fix this issue but Im getting mixed info about how to do this when I search. I only want it lower maybe 1/2" to 1".

Lowering links seems to be the one part i do need. The roaring toyz links I think are the least inexpensive. How do I get the front lower? Also, is it really necessary to get a resized kickstand?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
5-11 and you don't fit on the bike?

Shenanigans. I am 5-11 and like, 3/4" and a stock 14R fits under me with PLENTY of room to spare. You must have some stumpy little legs. My 7 is more of a stretch than the 14R in every way and I don't have any issues putting both feet flat, even without shoes on. The 7R is WAY wider, which has a huge impact on whether or not a short person can fit on it, but the seat is .4" shorter than the 14R. Sitting on either the 7 or the 14 has my legs bent by a comfortable amount while sitting on the bike and feet down.

I have a 32" inseam too.

Anyways, you should be able to just slide the forks up through the yokes to lower the front. If you drop just the front it will change geometry and make the bike turn in a little faster too, you might be able to get away with just that. As for the rear, you may be able to adjust ride height on the bike by adjusting the shock mount, but I have no idea if that is possible on the 14R since I don't have one. With such a small goal in mind, you probably don't need to go buy lowering links and stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Welcome!
Glad you're happy with the new ride. Sounds awesome.
Can I ask the price that was so hard to resist? Been waiting to see some prices for myself.
Also that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome!
Glad you're happy with the new ride. Sounds awesome.
Can i ask the price that was so hard to resist? Been waiting to see some prices for myself.
Sorry, can't help on the lowering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5-11 and you don't fit on the bike?

Shenanigans. I am 5-11 and like, 3/4" and a stock 14R fits under me with PLENTY of room to spare. You must have some stumpy little legs. My 7 is more of a stretch than the 14R in every way and I don't have any issues putting both feet flat, even without shoes on. The 7R is WAY wider, which has a huge impact on whether or not a short person can fit on it, but the seat is .4" shorter than the 14R. Sitting on either the 7 or the 14 has my legs bent by a comfortable amount while sitting on the bike and feet down.

I have a 32" inseam too.
[End quote]

That's weird. I have a 32" inseam also. When i sit on it barefoot, my heels don't touch the ground. Off by maybe 1/2 inch or so. Maybe i do have stumpy legs.. I dunno.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Lol, well we figured one thing out.

I found the 14R as close to perfect as I could ever desire from a sport bike. The only other thing would be, are you like 750 lbs and have super thick legs and you sit on the bike like a child stuffed into 4 coats?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, well we figured one thing out.

I found the 14R as close to perfect as I could ever desire from a sport bike. The only other thing would be, are you like 750 lbs and have super thick legs and you sit on the bike like a child stuffed into 4 coats?
Funny

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Welcome to the zxf.... how come no one ever puts lift kits with big tires on these bikes ? Maybe some aggressive off road tires ? Let's just be more original next time:crackup

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
500R site that I got "banned" from.

Lots of people do it to them.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
I thought I had seen it all , I should have known better . Good one squidge.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Just curious why everyone wants to be flat-footed on the ground with their bikes?
I thought that was obvious, it is far more stable to be able to plant your feet. It is kind of uncomfortable to have even the slightest imbalance of a 500 lb bike that you really don't want to drop between your legs. Not being able to put both feet all the way down means you can't really use the strength of your upper legs to handle it, instead relying on your feet/calves.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
sorry, I thought we were riding our bikes. I guess nobody has ridden mx bikes. To worry about being flat-footed means that you aren't capable of keeping a bike stable at any time. I can balance my 500# bike to almost zero mph coming to a stop. Once you learn the basics, you're good to go.
you guys need a cruiser, that's obvious

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I thought that was obvious, it is far more stable to be able to plant your feet. It is kind of uncomfortable to have even the slightest imbalance of a 500 lb bike that you really don't want to drop between your legs. Not being able to put both feet all the way down means you can't really use the strength of your upper legs to handle it, instead relying on your feet/calves.
haha, you do come up with some crazy stuff.
how much strength do you need? Are you leaning over at a 45* angle at a stop light?:lol
If you're over that far on ANY bike you might as well give it up.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
No kidding, but that doesn't negate the feeling of instability. It FEELS more stable to be able to put your feet down.

And come on, just because someone can come to a dead stop and balance the bike for a moment without putting their feet down doesn't mean they can sit there all day like that.

And riding a dirtbike rarely involves coming to a stop in traffic to put your feet down for a minute or two.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts