Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from picking up my new 1400GTR. Completed 185 miles, initially in the dry but ending the ride in really heavy rain. I come from years on sports bikes which I’ve also used for touring. They’ve proved great for our longer trips, 2 up, around the Alps, Pyrenees and Picos with Ventura luggage and a tank bag. You just have to travel light. The big problem though is you just can’t leave your bike with the luggage as it’s not secure. Also the tank range can be limiting. So I thought I’d go for a sporty tourer and opted for the GTR. Thought I’d share my initial thoughts after my first ride;

1. In the flesh the bike definitely looks bigger in silver (the colour of my bike). The dealer also had a black bike and side by side the black colour seems to just hide its bulk.
2. Overall the bike looks really well put together. It has a real quality look and feel to it.
3. The bike is bigger than I thought. I come from a background of sports bikes (last one was a GSXR1000) so was expecting a bit of difference especially as I’m short in the leg (30”). I feel secure though as I can get both feet on the ground albeit on tip-toe. Not the easiest thing to get on/off though with the panniers. Technique I guess.
4. Once moving the bike really is easy to manoeuvre and control. The weight really does just disappear.
5. All the controls/switches seem really good quality.
6. The storage box on the tank though is pretty light weight and cheap. Very plasticky. It seems to move around a lot as well. I need to check to see of its secured properly or if that’s just how it is.
7. Motor seems really smooth. Running in up to 4,000 rpm which in top is about 85mph.
8. key-less ignition seems great. Simple to use.
9. dash is clear and concise and easy to operate. Coming from sports bikes it has all the info I need.
10. panniers seem really good quality. Easy to operate and to take on and off the bike. I’ve been told the inner-bags will be available end of August in the UK at £65 each. Mine are on order.
11. brakes are FANTASTIC
12. Suspension on the ‘dealer settings’ seem fine. A lot firmer/sporty than the FJR I tried but still compliant.
13. Handling really good. The bike seem so smooth and corners really well.
14. Clutch seems a little strange. Not sure if it’s just different, perhaps being hydraulic compared to the GSXR cable clutch. Sometimes when letting the lever out it almost feels as though there is a slight judder through the lever. I’ll keep an eye on it during the running in.
15. My wife was on the pillion. She was a little disappointed initially as the stepped pillion seat is not as high as it looks (she actually likes the higher seats of the sports bikes). After the initial ride back she felt it’s OK and better than the flat seat of the ZZR1400 we tested. Comfortable but not the view she’s use to on the sports bike.
16. The only really negative thing for me – the screen seems noisy. It doesn’t cause buffeting like some bikes I’ve tried (new Tiger 1050 was just terrible!), it’s just noisy. Think I want to try a LOWER screen. Kawasaki only make a taller screen so I might have to try cutting one down. Any one got any ideas/thoughts?

That’s all I can think of for now. I just to need to pile on the miles so I can really find out how the motor goes and how she handles. I can’t wait. I’ll keep you updated. Any questions just let me know and I’ll get back to you with my view from my experience as I complete the running in. It won't take me long!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
little early to say in all honesty. Initial impression is that it's much more stable/planted/responsive than the others i've tried - BMW, Pan, FJR. It does though seem BIG after the sports bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts