Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah i just bought a 07 ZX-6, and its was brand new, but the thing is this is my first bike, did i just make a huge mistake?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new bike :clap

Take things steady until you get used to handling the bike & the power delivery, following the break-in procedure will help keep things sane to start with. Also think about getting some training, it will help avoid the pitfalls of learning to ride a high performance sports bike & also help you to get the most out of it. Otherwise have fun :crazyloco

·
Registered
179 Posts
As long as you take your time and take it easy on the throttle for a little while you should be fine. Just be careful and don't become a statistic. :cheers

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi and welcome. Congrats on the bike!!! I think you bought the perfect beginner bike!

Like the others say, during break-in you will have enough time to get used to the bike, and it is the best handling bike out there! After a while you will get used to the power and there will never be too little of it.

Just keep it safe ( don't over-ride yourself) and enjoy every minute and km (mile).!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome! Good choice. As the others say sneak up on slowly. If you're out with mates remember "Ride your own bike".
gammac

·
Registered
649 Posts
buy some sliders ASAP!!!!!!!! take it easy and learn as much as you can about the bike before you go searching for the edge....... post some pix!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
No mistake here! Great bike choice. Just take it easy, learn learn learn, then take it easy some more, and most of all be safe and have fun!

I agree about sliders - no matter how much experience. Man, I had a sensor problem with my '07 the week I bought it. Started it without the clutch pulled in, and it took off on me a little. I wasn't on it, it dropped, and those sliders saved my bike! Not a scratch on it except for a little one on my mirror. Those sliders paid dividends!

·
Registered
80 Posts
did the same thing, just take it reaaaaalllll easy, shift slowly, easy on the trottle, steady braking and turning and you should be fine! also, take a msf course, and practice riding around by yourself and not with a bunch of buddies, that way you focus on what your doing, and not what their doing.

we took a ride out to jamul 2 weekends ago and had my friend lay down his brand new white cbr600rr right into a gravel hill because he tried keeping up with people who had a lot more experience, and now he is looking at over $1000 in damage.

so just chiiiilll and take a msf!

·
Registered
649 Posts
+1 +1 +1 on the MSF course..... you will learn a lot about riding. It's nice if you can trail a buddy thru town that won't break every rule in the book. Get used to riding in traffic and anticipate what all the cagers are going to do....always assume that you have a big bullseye on you!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 07 is my first street bike as well. Like everyone is saying ride the way you feel comfortable, dont push it. I tried to go ridding with some of my buddies that have been ridding for years and it really wasnt to fun trying to keep up with them, its also kinda overwhelming having 6 other bikes around you. So know i just ride by myself until i get more skilled. But seriously this bike is great for us begginers because first gear is kinda sluggish and the power curve is really smothe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 +1 +1 on the MSF course..... you will learn a lot about riding. It's nice if you can trail a buddy thru town that won't break every rule in the book. Get used to riding in traffic and anticipate what all the cagers are going to do....always assume that you have a big bullseye on you!!!!!!!!

Yeah i've done the MSF already and frame sliders was the first thing i bought and i have already used them sadly enough, but its all fixable, and i also put a two brothers exhaust on it so it sounds real nice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i am about to purchase the same bike but black and it too will be my first bike...anything that i should research in addition to what you have posted?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guess you guys are like my brothers!! I'm about to purchase my first bike green 07'. Never been on a bike before in my life b/c of money issues. But I'ma take a class end of june and plan on FINALLY purchasing in july. If there are ANY recommendations or advice for me-- PPLLEEEAAASSSSEEE LET ME KNOW!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
i say you made a mistake. lol. you should give me your bike and just take mine to be safe. j/k. good choice in bikes.

hey mitsuninja... im from durham north carolina. right now i live in chapel hill. im probably about 2 hours from you. if you are going to be this way any time you should get up with me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah i just bought a 07 ZX-6, and its was brand new, but the thing is this is my first bike, did i just make a huge mistake?
I did the same thing. No worries. Buy the sliders. oops will happen. I laid the bike down twice already. Sliders saved it. Both times I wasnt moving. lol.

Update: 3 times not moving. LOL.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Congratz on the purchase and welcome to the bike world. All good advice posted. New riders and experienced riders sometimes get into trouble trying to play catch up with their buddies. The way I look at it, if they can't wait for ya at the next intersection... get new riding buddies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ive been riding only 10 months myself. i started off on a 99r6 and last month bought my green machine.
my advice........
1- if you can ,ride locally by yourself all the time so you can get used to making your own decisions of road conditions and traffic(some people will disagree and say that you should always ride with someone in case you go down-which is also true). The reason for me to ride by myself is,,theres just a certain kind of effect this has on your mind especially when your talking to yourself saying "ok,im out here alone,if i mess up,im done!" It helps keep you disciplined!

2- if you ride with someone else,dont follow them or use their judgement for your ride! I found myself makin decisions that i would have never made when i rode with my friend. The time and reaction someone has to road conditions in front of you is not the same when you reach that point. It was a kool learning experience for me,,but when i ride with someone else,,i try to stay in out of their lanes and i try not to ride with them.

3-Have fun and enjoy your ride,dont let people tell you that its time for a 1000cc bike just because your used to your 600cc bike. A great sportsbike will trick you into thinking your a nice rider with a lot of skill,,,but your not! The bike is more stable the faster you go,,but she will toss you off with no problem if you mess around !!

dont play catch up!!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts