Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today im heading to the gym and im crusing at about 55mph. When the stupid bitch in front of me decides to slam on her brakes so she could get over to turn. Mind you that she wasnt paying attention to the roads cuz she had to put her make up on. Well i hit my brakes hard to the point im skidding. Now first because i didnt want to end up apart of her car i didnt even think about pulling the clutch in. So as i got close to a complete stop my engine starts bouncing and stuttering cuz its about to stall.

When it does that i quickly pull in the clutch regain control before it stall and continue on my way. As im driving along my bike is way quieter than normal. By that i mean my exhaust doesnt seem as loud as it should be. Example normally at 55mph im in 3rd gear and my exhaust is loud. Well after all this same speed and gear my exhaust sounds like a factory one. Not loud at all. So i drop it to 2nd gear at 55 and it is still low. Another thing my engine has the famous tick sound that zx6r have but that actually was extremely quiet. My wife even said that my bike sounds quieter on the exhaust and she can barely notice the tick. So its not imagination or an exageration.

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? It makes no sense that my bike exhaust would sound weak and quiet and that engine tick would almost gone from almost stalling and braking hard. Any ideas or suggestions would help. Thanks in advanced.

Oh i have a two bros slip on and the pop noise that i had when shifting at high gears is gone to.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I can't imagine what you could have done to it that would make it quiet all of a sudden.

Take it out for a ride in an hour or two or tomorrow and see. Today I was sitting at a light, then went to take off and had like... no power, it barely revved and it was super quiet... but then it was all fine and dandy the whole rest of the 15 mile trip home.

·
Registered
35 Posts
braking hard or increasing load via incorrect gear compared to speed would not and should not change engine performance.

Bikes maintenance comes into question in my opinion. Mileage would also help indicate a problem but i still resign myself to the idea that the bike services are in question.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All bike maintenance done regularly. And I know it.sounds pathetic but my bike only has sighhhh 3654 miles on it. Fresh oil done two weeks ago, also cleaned chain. 3 weeks ago I had it at the dealership and it was completely checked and road tested. And it got a perfect bill of health. it just sucks cuz this past Monday my extended warranty expired. Fuck me.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I would check to see if you have the same amount of power. If not do a compression test. This might just be me, but i might look towards bent connecting rods since you basically threw the engine from 5k to 1k with the brakes and locked it up. This could explain the loss of exhaust noise too since you are now running lower compression.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The acceleration didnt seem to be different. On the way to work I would give it some gas and it would pick up and go. Just sounded like a little moan from exhaust.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would check to see if you have the same amount of power. If not do a compression test. This might just be me, but i might look towards bent connecting rods since you basically threw the engine from 5k to 1k with the brakes and locked it up. This could explain the loss of exhaust noise too since you are now running lower compression.
You are the third person to tell me this. I wish I could find that good lookin bitch and redecorate her car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bent rods due to a bit of hard braking? pure nonsense. Not to mention the slipper clutch equipped 2007. At worse case is computation error due to a sensor by the CPU module. Claiming otherwise is absolutely ludicrous, its a god damn track bike. Crazy occurrences do happen but why assume zebra when you hear hoof beats.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Bent rods due to a bit of hard braking? pure nonsense. Not to mention the slipper clutch equipped 2007. At worse case is computation error due to a sensor by the CPU module. Claiming otherwise is absolutely ludicrous, its a god damn track bike. Crazy occurrences do happen but why assume zebra when you hear hoof beats.
A bit of hard braking..... and going from 5k to stall in .01 second...big difference. Slipper clutch isn't going to do shit, it's meant to keep the wheel from locking in a decel mode.......I've seen it happen to bikes and cars both before. In fact 2 weeks ago we had a car that did it, and it threw the timing chain off and bent all the valves and a rod. Innertia will do that.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
He doesn't specify but locking the rear wheel would have stalled outright. So you can assume the back tire is skipping and bouncing but still rotating. A force strong enough to bend rods yet the slipper clutch (its sole function to let the rear wheel spin faster than the motor to provide engine braking) nor the skipping of the tire didn't absorb that shock?

Again, when you hear hoof beats think horse not zebra. That assumption is very remote and other avenues should be considered first.

Edit: to further back up my claim the braking distance of 60-0mph is about ~150ft, which is going to take considerable time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
He doesn't specify but locking the rear wheel would have stalled outright. So you can assume the back tire is skipping and bouncing but still rotating. A force strong enough to bend rods yet the slipper clutch nor the skipping of the tire didn't absorb that shock?

Again, when you hear hoof beats think horse not zebra. That assumption is very remote and other avenues should be considered first.
If he didn't down shift when this happened, I can see it bending something. It will make the tire skip and slipper clutch max out but it will also make the drive line try to run at different speeds when the tire does catch. And on top of that, say you are in 5th, the gear ratio is now reversed because the driven gear is different. In 5th you have a lot more torque multiplication going up the drive line.

Also think about what happens if you have combustion and the piston cannot move. something has to give.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that he says it still pulls just as hard, unless his ass accelerometer is not calibrated.

Try holding a piece of paper up to the exhaust. Does it blow it away with constant force or is there weak spot?

·
Registered
35 Posts
In regard to the ticking having quieted down your 2007 has a automatically adjusting cam chain tensioner. Often the spring doesn't provide enough pressure to adjust the next click and take up that additional slack. However what you experienced would and could easily have provided enough slack by putting tension on the opposite side.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so today i went to start it up and it hesitated bad. So i waited a few and then it started right up. My never completely stalled. I was able to pull the clutch in last sec before it did. As for acceleration it doesnt seem to be affected. But once again exhaust is still weak sounding. Usually when i pull up in my drive in the morning i wake my son up. Today didnt happen. I will run a few tests on it. And i will try a compression test because it doesnt take long to do it. Thanks for the replies. I will keep informed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that he says it still pulls just as hard, unless his ass accelerometer is not calibrated.

Try holding a piece of paper up to the exhaust. Does it blow it away with constant force or is there weak spot?
I agree with you. I figured my acceleration would be screwed up, but i took it out today and was flying. My buddy is taking it for a spin. he is good with bikes hopefully he can tell what im talking about.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I agree with you. I figured my acceleration would be screwed up, but i took it out today and was flying. My buddy is taking it for a spin. he is good with bikes hopefully he can tell what im talking about.
Well, if it still pulls the same... like said above, could have just clicked the cam tensioner.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
I would bet that it kicked your cam chain tensioner into a bit tighter notch and quieted the whole bike down.

This is really just a theory of mine not based on anything but experience. I had the cam chain tick and it was pretty loud... went out and started it one morning and noticed it was so much quieter. I usually ride with headphones on when commuting so I never noticed it until I went to warm up the bike.

New engine I had a pretty loud cam chain as well... I did a "quick fix" on the stock CCT by pulling is out until it clicked one setting in and re-torqued. Quieted the whole thing down again.

Again... just my theory. It could be total BS for all I know but it did make the bike much quieter. (not exhaust wise though)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So as I sit at work my friend took my bike to his house to look at it. See what happens i guess

1 - 20 of 42 Posts