Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just about 5700 miles on the original 021's.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z311/JamminJere/?action=view&current=100_2783.jpg FRONT

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z311/JamminJere/?action=view&current=100_2784.jpg FRONT

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z311/JamminJere/?action=view&current=100_2788.jpg REAR

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z311/JamminJere/?action=view&current=100_2789.jpg REAR

They are toast.

We did alot of 2up riding this summer, fully loaded and "maybe" more aggressive than usual (coz it handles so well). I dont believe its a fault of the tires, rather weight, heat, and riding style.

I am gonna be the guinea pig and try a set of Avon Storms on her. I had these on my C10 before I traded it and loved them, I was at about 3800mi on those and they were wearing well.. however this bike is a whole different animal. I found the storm front tire to be the best I ever had tried on the C10, tracked perfectly, predictable, great feedback, great in the wet.

They excel on the FJR's as well.

Anyone else besides Fred shod new shoes yet? Any other Avon's? I'd like to hear from someone else if they have them on already.

Once I have them mounted and scrubbed in, I'll give my report on them compared to the 021's when they were new.

Maybe by the time I wear them off.. the Pilot 2's will be out.:clap

See you on the road,

Jerry

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Jerry,
Include the price for the Avons if you dont mind. That way I'll know how to budget my mama-dont-know money! Tail of the Dragon this Sunday!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jerry,
Include the price for the Avons if you dont mind. That way I'll know how to budget my mama-dont-know money! Tail of the Dragon this Sunday!!
Ok bud, will do.... have a blast stay on top of your cornering lines and keep them clean!

Jerry

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've always been a big fan of Avon. I have not owned a sport touring bike for about 10 years. Plan on trying Storms as well. Local store in Colorado has the rear for around $168, Front at $120 + $15 for mounting. G*d I love these guys...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Jerry,

I agree with your choice of tires both Avon and Michelin. I am curious how you were able to wear them down so much front and rear must be the temp difference. Great photo's, the chicken strips still look good.

Daka

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Jerry,

I agree with your choice of tires both Avon and Michelin. I am curious how you were able to wear them down so much front and rear must be the temp difference. Great photo's, the chicken strips still look good.

Daka
I'm wondering the same thing... that front wore pretty darn quick!

Must be nice not to have a big squared off rear. :evil :banghead

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine did not last any longer. Replaced rear at 9200km(approx 5750miles) and am replacing front this saturday at 10200km(6120miles). I went with the origanals again, but am looking forward to hearing a review on any other's. My miles where 2 up for the most part as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine did not last any longer. Replaced rear at 9200km(approx 5750miles) and am replacing front this saturday at 10200km(6120miles). I went with the origanals again, but am looking forward to hearing a review on any other's. My miles where 2 up for the most part as well.
That sort of mileage is about right for these tyres. Perhaps another 1000miles on the front. You will get more if you spend more time on the sidewalls cornering etc. We tend to get more mileage out of our tyres in the UK 'cos we have more twisty bits and don't really end up squaring the tyre off like in the photos above. I like to keep off the motorways and only tend to use A and B class roads.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That sort of mileage is about right for these tyres. Perhaps another 1000miles on the front. You will get more if you spend more time on the sidewalls cornering etc. We tend to get more mileage out of our tyres in the UK 'cos we have more twisty bits and don't really end up squaring the tyre off like in the photos above. I like to keep off the motorways and only tend to use A and B class roads.
If you think Jerry's tyres are squared off, you aren't going to want to see mine when they are at the end of their life. :rant

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Poor Kory,

He probably has to really hunt for twisty roads in Texas....

Chris, Most of my miles are not on the Interstates.. I do feel I flat spotted them badly on my way home from Virginia when I was on my death ride home from the hospital in early August. They may have been slightly under-inflated on that ride home of almost 400 miles.

Jerry

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Jerry,

Daka
Daka,

I am a fairly aggressive at cornering and tend to charge out the back end of a tight turn as well.. I guess you could say I'm not very tire friendly..:rotflmao

Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts