Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...

I have a problem....Where can I get engine rebuild kits for my 92 zx6?

I have hardly any compression on the #4 cyclinder. I noticed this when I repaired a fuel leak on the same cylinder...

And ..Is it even worth repairing this old of a bike?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
990 Posts
Engine rebuilds on 4 cylinder bikes are not usually (at least that is the case in the UK) an economical repair due to cost of parts & gaskets (& labour if you don't DIY).

If it is a valve problem a good used head is an option or replacement valves.

You probably need to at least pull the cylinder head to see what the problem is.

Look around to see what is available from breakers & on ebay. Alternative is to get a tatty bike with a good engine & swap parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soo..What do ya think it would cost to rebuild it?..Guesstimate...I didn't pay much for the bike, and its in really good shape( except for the compression thing)...So...it might be worth doing...

Also..I've built and rebuilt many a smallblock chevy....Ya think I could handle this motor, or are things REALLY different...*L*

Terry

·
Registered
990 Posts
Don't have a clue on cost of parts, especially not in the USA. Best bet is to get part #'s & phone or email a list to a parts supplier over there to get a quote.
Part #'s from here:
http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?
Click on Motorcycle then find your model from the list then look up the parts diagrams for the bits that might need replacing.

Also lists Kawasaki workshop manuals on there.

Firstly have you checked valve clearances to see if they are the problem?

End of the day engine building principles are the same whatever the engine, it's the details that differ. Main difference on most modern Jap engines is that they are overhead cam so no pushrods to worry about .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts