Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '22 14R with 15K miles on it. It replaced my '12 14R that had 86K miles. The 14R is superb and the only bike for me.

So, when riding at highway speeds, 70-90, when I brake moderately hard the front brakes chatter and the front end shakes. It did not do this early on. The strange thing is that if I do this 2 or 3 more times, it stops. But it returns a little while later. I don't see how a warped rotor is the issue because, as I said, it will stop with several aggressive front brake applications.

From day one I did not like the ABS brakes. They don't have the initial bite that my '12 had. Is it possible the ABS system is malfunctioning and rapidly releasing, grabbing, releasing, grabbing? I'm baffled, as is my shop. I'm thinking of pulling the ABS fuses to de-activate the system and see if it still happens.

Thoughts? Much appreciated.

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,169 Posts
I have a '22 14R with 15K miles on it. It replaced my '12 14R that had 86K miles. The 14R is superb and the only bike for me.

So, when riding at highway speeds, 70-90, when I brake moderately hard the front brakes chatter and the front end shakes. It did not do this early on. The strange thing is that if I do this 2 or 3 more times, it stops. But it returns a little while later. I don't see how a warped rotor is the issue because, as I said, it will stop with several aggressive front brake applications.

From day one I did not like the ABS brakes. They don't have the initial bite that my '12 had. Is it possible the ABS system is malfunctioning and rapidly releasing, grabbing, releasing, grabbing? I'm baffled, as is my shop. I'm thinking of pulling the ABS fuses to de-activate the system and see if it still happens.

Thoughts? Much appreciated.
Isn't the abs tied into the speed sensor?

· Registered
5,169 Posts
I'm not sure. And if it is? Wouldn't I get a code? I'm gonna take a look at the sensor and the rings.
I only mention this because HealTech doesn't have a speedo healer for the ABS equipped zx14r. Only the non-ABS 14/14r. I assumed it had to do with the ABS being linked to multiple systems/sensors on the bike.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to remove the ABS motor fuse and the ABS solenoid fuse and take the bike out for a ride to see if the problem still exists. Other than a CEL, what can I expect from the fuse pulls? I assume the brakes would still work normally?

· Registered
5,169 Posts
I'm going to remove the ABS motor fuse and the ABS solenoid fuse and take the bike out for a ride to see if the problem still exists. Other than a CEL, what can I expect from the fuse pulls? I assume the brakes would still work normally?
Maybe? Let us know if your speedometer still works too

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rode the bike with the ABS fuses pulled. No change in the chatter and the brakes and speedo worked fine. ABS light went out as soon as I replaced the fuses.

I'm gonna check the runout of the front rotors, AND the wheel at the rotor mounting surface. I mention the wheel because I had a similar issue on my 2012 which had the same BST wheels which I transferred to the 2022, which I attributed to warped rotors. Also, on the 2012, the brakes ALWAYS chattered. Not quite the same as on the 2022. On the new bike, as I said before, if you grab the brakes hard a few times, after that the braking is smooth. But that only lasts a short time. That's the part I don't understand. The chatter should be the same all the time.

I'm considering replacing the pads with something better, but I can't see how that would help with chatter.

It's just so frustrating on such a stellar bike that I've put so much money and energy into to make it special.

Thanks for the help.

· Administrator
57,851 Posts
I had to put new rotors on my 2007. Doesn't take much to warp them.
Have you done any work to the front end where you might have bumped the rotors?
Have you ridden in the rain?
Any of the buttons loose or rusted on the rotors?

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike is a year old and is garage kept. All seems ok. Have ridden in some rain but nothing serious. Nothing has hit the rotor, to my knowledge.
The shop checked the runout with a dial indicator. Front right is perfect, left is warped, out .011. I'm replacing the rotor with a new OEM, and will replace both sets of front pads to start fresh. I will check the runout before I ride the bike to rule out the wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts