Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i came down from the zx7's and iam looking at getting a 1999 zx6, bikes looks great and all but i prefer the 2 headlight look of a 03, tried the search option with no results just wondering if any threads have covered this so i can find out what all is needed to do the swap and how difficult it will be, thanks for any leads

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
This is another one of the things that if you don't already know how, you wont be able to just dive in and do it. You will basically have to make custom bodywork.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iam very capable if you check out my zx7 threads, ive done alot of custom body work to my 7's, just seeing if anyone else has done this, my 99 should be arriving this weekend and already comes with the 03 front, i figured since PO never completed theswap that its far from basic, once i get bike i will be able to figure out whats envovled but was hoping to get some tips before then

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Well then the hardest part is going to be grafting the front into the rest of your upper.

If you wanna change the headlight, you will need the mounting bracket and everything. You will probably have to change the gauges over too, unless you can weld like a mofo and make a custom bracket for it all.

If you use the 03 upper, you will have to fill the ram air intake hole, and then make new ones below.

If you use the 99 upper, you will have to cut out the opening for the headlights and fill in between them. Problem with using the 99 upper, is that the headlights are shaped to match the 03 cowl... so that wont work.

You can try to graft them together... but nothing will line up.

I don't see it happening without a fully custom fairing, or at least as much work as is required to make one from scratch.

Everyone wants to make these swaps, and are always hoping it will just bolt on. But you are talking about two completely different bikes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much for the info Squidge, been checking on kawi forums as well and not looking to good, i might sell the 03 fron and look into maybe a 2000-2002 front from pics looks like it might work better but not sure until both are in fron of me, thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey i did the 99zx6r to 2001 zx6r front wasnt very hard i jus bought 01 headlight, upper fairing, gauges , headlight fairing stay, u have to repin the gauge cluster harness. Everything else is prety much bolt up. I heard u had change headlight wirring. I havent and ive gone 3kish miles so far with no headlight trouble. Only issue i have is gauges have no backlight maybe bulbs or wire not sure havent had time to trace issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts