Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody:
Im new to the site. I own a ZX-12r and Im planning on getting a ZX-10r.I have read almost every review on the 2006 model and almost everybody agrees that the 2005 was a better motorcycle. Some say that the 2006 feels "nervous " on the curves and that the 2005 model was just a steering damper away from perfection. ALso that the 2006 model weights a few pounds more. I have available locally both a 2005 and a 2006 models from the dealer, so your opinion will be greatly apreciated. I understand that no bike is perfect and that both bikes are great bikes, that with some tweaking here and there on their respective "low spots" will make a wonderful machine, but I would like to know which year overall is better and would be more easily tweaked toward the "perfect" bike goal with the lowest aftermaket investment.Again thanks everybody for your time and your opinions.:D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Well although I only had 5 hours in the cockpit of my new 06 (don't get me started again) and never rode the 05, I am biased towards the 06. I ride with a few guys who have ridden both, and they all agree that the 06 is the better bike.

more centered weight, nicer lines with the pipes, inverted forks (did the 05 have em?).

You really don't need to worry about the weight on the 06, at 390lbs you still have way way way more than enough hp to pull it. And the changes make it more powerful through the rev range than just at top end.

That's my take on it, but I'm sure that the guys with more time in the saddle, or that work at the dealerships will offer their advice. Good luck

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Easy decision, go with the 2006. The only way I would say take a 2005, is if the money you save is very substantial. Both are great bikes, but there are hundreds of overall improvements in the design, engine, asthetics, etc. with the newer 2006, not to mention its a newer bike which is better for valuation.

There are some damn good deals out there for 2005's, which can make the choice harder. The extra money to get the 2006 is well worth it IMHO.

I could go on forever about the differences between the two generations, but all you need to know is the 2006 is more absolute, refined, smoother, better power delivery, and a solid finished bike while the 2005 is more raw.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
And keep us posted on what you decide and post up pics when you get it!

I think the tough decision for you is going to be deciding what color to get!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dunno man, I never rode the 06 but from my impression of seeing it in person is this: As badass as the 06 is It's bigger, heavier, wider, and in my opinion not as attractive looking. I personally prefer the 05 looks, performance, and feel. I had more than one person thinking I was riding a 600 until they couldn't stay with me with their cbr's or R1's. My only beef was the breaking feel. Otherwise the 05 was awesome. I'd have to say get the 05 and put a steering damper on it... you won't be dissappointed. I had my 05 stolen from me about a week ago and miss it so much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I almost bought a 06 about a month ago. The salesman( a local racer from smokey point cycle barn) I talked to almost talked me into a 05 without trying.
The left over 05 was going for $8,899 on sale. Not that much difference in performance and I was led to belive the 05 is faster. But one thing to consider is the first thing you always do is aftermarket exhaust. That 06 is gonna cost a ton of money over the 05 maybe $1,500 and its still ugly why didn't they either go undertail all the way or moto gp type short. I will bet the short type will be on everybike next year.. So I sold my beloved 04 ZX10 and bought a Ducati now I have 2 :nana

1 - 8 of 8 Posts