Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys iam looking at a 2001 zx9, i have a 01 gsxr 600 track bike at the moment but i like drag racing more so i was told 600's and 750 are a waste of time for drag bikes, this bike has 40k on it , iam in canada so its kms, i also wanted to use for street use but have heard 900's are really bad over a 600 for inurance for new rider? any advice on this bike from your experience would be great like have any of you had regrets from moving up to a 9? also are kms too high? bike is listed at $3000 cdn i was going to swap my track bike thats worth 4000 and take a bit of a loss

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Price is high for that bike with the KMs. A 2001 E2 will require some mods to get it to work well for drag racing, since it's much better suited (glass smooth engine) for sportbike riding and touring. It's not in the same weight class as GSXRs for the most part, either. I'd recommend an 04 ZX-10R if that's your focus.

I have so many regrets after picking up my 2000 E1, that I bought a second 2002 F1. I cherish both bikes. One's at 54K and the newer one's at 9K miles.

KMs don't really affect the engine. Bike should go to 100K miles and beyond if maintained. The clutch will take a beating at the strip, but that's normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iam looking to trade my gsxr for a street bike so it all depends on what iam offered, so far the zx9 looks best offer going to wait a bit to see what else comes along since iam not hearing the best reviews about the 01 zx9 i just want something thats fast and has potential for a weeknd drag bike not all the time but want to at least have fun on it and not just keep away for long cruises or touring

·
Registered
9,979 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have no regrets with my 01 9r! i dont drag mine, but i run it hard on the weekends with the guys. to me there a great bang for your buck! i pay $148 a year for both my 01 9r and my wifes 00 7r. i will say i built ah 97 9r a while back from the weekend drags and as a daily driver...your gonna sacrifice one or the other. i swapped my clutch with a lock up, the airbox was removed and replaced with pod filters. i was running a stage 2 jet kit...full muzzy exhaust. the bike was dyno tuned at 143.2 hp. which i thought was great...since the base line i had was 118 hp. granted i didnt do most of the work so im not gonna take full credit of that..but...on the street the bike sucked! the lock up clutch made it hard to ride around town, or to pull out in traffic. the fuel mileage i had was terrible...so it just depends on how far into it you want to go. but as i said, i ave no regrets in my 9r! theres my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went from a cbr1000 ( ok bike ) to a R1 ( hated it ) to a gsxr 750 (one of my fav bikes ) to a 03 zx9. While I haven't gotten alot of street time im really diggin the zx9. The gsxr 750 was alittle more fun in the twistes but the zx9 seems slightly more well rounded over all

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
didnt like the r1? i was also looking at a 2000 r1 as well as the 2001 zx9 the 9 has 40 000 kms so iam wanting the guy to add cash to our trade so far he has offered 500 cash with his bike for mine, mines worth 4000 iam thinking his is about 2700-3000

1 - 8 of 8 Posts