Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a simple question but im new to bikes so i need advise from people who know.... what oil and filter do you guys recomend? when i first got my 99 zx6r i bought a oem filter but my brother had a k&n but ive seen oil filter studys and k&n filters bad but flows well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
stock oil filters w/ a quality synthetic is my choice.

No matter what you choose DO NOT USE PARAFIN based oils ie: Valvoline.

I've used Spectro Golden, Royal Purple, Mobile 1 in my race bikes with no ill effects to report. Good luck finding anything other than opinions when it comes to motor oils. I've searched everywhere to find a non-biased report(s) with no avail. Pick your color and stick with it. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Read this:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

My first oil change, which I did myself, I used a Mobil-1 filter and Maxima dino oil. The second change, which was done at my 600 mi service, used a Kawi stock filter and Kawichem oil. My next change, which will probably be around 1500 (I did my "600" kind of late) will be probably a Purolator filter and Maxima full synthetic.

Make sure if you use "car" oil that it is NOT "energy conserving" as those kinds of oils cause clutch slippage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Depending on the mileage on your bike (assume you have more than 5K) please use synthetic. Filters?? Any good name brand is good. As long as you are relegiously change both at 3K you wont have any problems

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
dont your mean advice?
yoo now wat eye ment :tard and from what i was told by my friend that had it at his house was that the bike had a complete overhaul at 9k miles (engine,brakes,suspension,new polised frame with no title :angry but i finally took care of that,not sure what else) and it only has around 100 miles on the rebuild as of now.he also told me it had a semi syn oil.ill ask him what was replaced in the engine/transmission. now i need to figure out what weight and viscosity to use, i hate being a newbie! thanks guys

·
Registered
462 Posts
dont your mean advice?

He also forgot that you capitalize the first word of the sentence and to use an apostrophe in conjunctions. Must be a "noob" to the English language. He's trying guys, just give him a little time and he'll catch on.

As to the question about the filter and oil, I would recommend always using the O.E.M. filter for street use, I've heard bad things about after market filters missing certain parts. Not sure about the oil, I always ran whatever motorcycle synthetic I could get my hands on. I would strongly recommend not using any car oil whatsoever, regardless of whether or not it's "energy-saving" or not. The oil in a sport bike has to lubricate both the motor and transmission, where as car's have motor and trans specific oils. Also, the oil in a bike has to be able to handle some serious revolutions. What the "average sports car" redline at? 7-8,000 RPM maybe? The "average sport bike" today easily revs 13-14,000 RPM. I could be wrong, I could be an idiot, but to me it just makes sense. Can you run a car oil? Yes. Could you run used motor oil from a tractor? Yes. Should you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts