Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter I purchased a 1992 zx7 off craigslist. I telst drove before I bought and it rode a little rough but my inexperiance and outside suggestions that it probably just need carb and valve adjustment for under $1000 made me confident in my purchase. Bike has lots of extras including ohlins, corbin seats and muzzy pipe. I took to get tuned and the guy (who is very reputable) said it needs cams, lifters and other engine stuff at an out the door price of $4300. I love the look of the bike but dont have the up front cash to continue on this path. Bike is very clean for age and looks great. I wanted something to ride this summer so I just financed an 09 aprilia so think I want to try and part bike out. How hard will it be to recover the $2500 I have into it?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I think that guy is full of shit.

Adjust the valves and clean and sync the carbs.

And you will need more information about the bike in order for us to tell you anything about what it is worth. My bet however is that if the bike runs and rides... you don't need cams and lifters or 4300 dollars worth of engine work... You can buy a whole nother motor for less than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only things I can think of to tell you are that the tank has a very small dent and the right tail fairing is cracked where it screws in under back seat, tires are 80% and fram is polished. What other info can I look for to get an idea?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think I saw this bike on craigslist. Post pics if you can. Who is your mechanic? I would get a second opinion before you part out the bike. There is a guy in Antioch IL who worked on my bike twice and did good work. This guy has decades of experience. If you want his name and number let me know and I'll PM you. Even if you do need major engine work just look for a good used motor, you can find them for $500 bucks tops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know your Antioc contact. I'm not up to speed with PM so youll have to explain how I do that. Ive tried to attach a pic but its saying I had to make it pretty small so its not very detailed

·
Registered
919 Posts
Let me know your Antioc contact. I'm not up to speed with PM so youll have to explain how I do that. Ive tried to attach a pic but its saying I had to make it pretty small so its not very detailed
Upload your pic to imageshack.com then post the forum code here. I am sending you a private message with the mechanic's info.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
if you do part it out, im very interested in the swingarm

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Waaaaaay too nice to part out, but each their own.

Josh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts