Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I averted disaster today. This morning I was scheduled to go on a ride with a bunch of other riders. I pulled the big ZX out of the garage, fired it up and almost instantly it started smoking little a SOB. Smoke came billowing up through the fairing. I turned it off, put it up on the center stand and got down there to take a look. The bottom of the motor was fairly oily. I know this isn't good, but it smoked so fast that I know that wasn't it. I looked at the front and my fairing was melting to my header! I have an aftermarket pipe and its a really tight fit under there. The fairing has heat resistant tape on it near the pipe and a special bracket had to be fabbed to space the fairing off the pipe a little bit. But now I look and the heat tape has a section that gone and my bracket is bent. Thankfully I caught it really fast and the fairing isn't visibly damaged. The bike is scheduled for maintanence anyway, so I guess I'm off the road for a little while. My plan is to take the fairings off. Clean the shit out of it. Clutch, oil filter/oil, plugs, air filter, brakes, brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant. Rear tire soon. I want a new wind screen too, maybe I'll order one. Geez. A little Sunday morning ride with friends out to get some breakfast has now turned into a fairly major amount of work. Oh well right? Thats what I get for riding a 16 year old bike.
T

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey Tom, just make sure you get something to eat, I get real angry when things like that happen to me on an empty tummy, btw: what kind of pipe do you run? I'm lookin to get a C/F(black left exit) Muzzy for only $819~

·
Registered
94 Posts
What I did was modify my fairing by cutting it back some, so the pipe I have doesn't rub up against it, that way I didn't have to keep messing with the heat tape and the melting fairing. I run a Muzzy exhaust including the headers and Carbon fiber can looks and sounds very nice. I fixed the fairing twice before I got tired of it, and cut it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I averted disaster today. This morning I was scheduled to go on a ride with a bunch of other riders. I pulled the big ZX out of the garage, fired it up and almost instantly it started smoking little a SOB. Smoke came billowing up through the fairing. I turned it off, put it up on the center stand and got down there to take a look. The bottom of the motor was fairly oily. I know this isn't good, but it smoked so fast that I know that wasn't it. I looked at the front and my fairing was melting to my header! I have an aftermarket pipe and its a really tight fit under there. The fairing has heat resistant tape on it near the pipe and a special bracket had to be fabbed to space the fairing off the pipe a little bit. But now I look and the heat tape has a section that gone and my bracket is bent. Thankfully I caught it really fast and the fairing isn't visibly damaged. The bike is scheduled for maintanence anyway, so I guess I'm off the road for a little while. My plan is to take the fairings off. Clean the shit out of it. Clutch, oil filter/oil, plugs, air filter, brakes, brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant. Rear tire soon. I want a new wind screen too, maybe I'll order one. Geez. A little Sunday morning ride with friends out to get some breakfast has now turned into a fairly major amount of work. Oh well right? Thats what I get for riding a 16 year old bike.
T

cheaper than a new bike payment.:crazyloco

1 - 4 of 4 Posts