Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
That just confirmed what I thought. When you feel a new set of tires they feel really sticky, before they have any miles on them. The older they get the more slippery they feel.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Good info ,thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Same thing the guys in the shop have been telling me, cool.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Just confirmed what I already seen with my own eyes. I know a few guys who have no chicken strips on new tyres after a few miles.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Good to know, but I still dknt trust the shinny shit lol I wash them after install, scrubbin on the road only attracts the popo crowd...
I know what you mean, it's hard for me to trust it too.

I normally end up takin my DA sander and a 320 pad to new tires to rough them up and remove the shine... Apparently, unnecessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
been told to take it easy for the first 50 miles or so, not because of the tyre finish but the soap/grease/lube that is used to get it on the rim may cause slippage under hard acceleration... your thoughts on that possibilty

·
11,782 Posts
I wipe mine down after install...that's it. Clean all the soap and greasy handprints off from the install and go riding.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Thread jackers , lol I liked shifty's old avitar we should petition to get it changed back :nana

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Sorry, I dont buy it, and 100 miles is a short price to pay to keep my babies shiney side up..

0-100 Miles: Motorcycle tires must be broken in very carefully, and the first 100 miles is critical (see this note in the Comments section below). There are many scary stories about slippery mold release residue causing loss of traction and a resulting crash when the tires are new. I have a friend who, after getting a new set of tires fitted, dumped the bike while pulling out of the driveway of the repair shop, so I'm pretty wary about this problem.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/michelin-pilot-road-2/

Comments at the end of this article are from THIS year, so unless mold release issues have magically disappeared in the last few months, Im taking it easy for the first 100 miles or so.

You can do what you want, with YOUR bike...

Editor's Reply: Most motorcycle manufacturers recommend a (minimum) 100 mile break-in period, see:
•Maxxis (recommends 100 miles)
•Michelin (recommends 50 km)
•Dunlop (recommends 100 miles)
•Metzeler (recommends 100-200 km)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ill have to call bs on that article. We all know manufactures wouldn't do no such evil as spraying silicone to aid with mold release. Instead, they would immediately shut the press down, and remove the mold and ship it off to have the teflon coating reapplied. Ill take it easy for a hundred miles just as I take it easy after I roll through the oil slick at the atm drive thru

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
...You can do what you want, with YOUR bike...
I wasn't going to disagree opening on this thread. Heck, I'm about as beginner tire user as there is, but I'm with Blaine, to each his own. I work my way along when scrubbing in my tires, from 0* to 20* to 30* and so on until, as fate would have it, I'm down the road about 50 miles, tires are warm and there is little remaining of any tire surface shine.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
I wasn't going to disagree opening on this thread. Heck, I'm about as beginner tire user as there is, but I'm with Blaine, to each his own. I work my way along when scrubbing in my tires, from 0* to 20* to 30* and so on until, as fate would have it, I'm down the road about 50 miles, tires are warm and there is little remaining of any tire surface shine.
+1

I know too many ppl who have had problems with fresh slippery tires to spoon on a new set and go balls to the wall. I believe a couple crash threads have even popped up recently because of it. My brother-in-law is waiting on me to do some body work for him because of a mishap he had right outside of his driveway with a fresh set of Pirelli Diablo's, same issue...

Perhaps I'm wrong and being too cautious, but I'd rather be too cautious and not have body work to do.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My shop always preached miles. Only the warm up technique and pressure philosophy (rear lower than front) differed from "they-say".

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am getting ready to put new tires on my bike...read this article and the posts that followed and I will say I am more confused now than before I read the article and posts! lol :eek:hno So, what the hell is the general rule to new tires on your bike? This is my first set of new tires on a STREET bike and guess the noob in me came out cuz I figured once the tire is on...it's ready to ride...:headscratch I don't run my bike on a track at all, no wheelies or the such...although I like some speed, some corners...but do have my own "chicken strips" lol I'm not cornering that hard but working on it. Have had this bike to about 120 and will say that was enough for me...although I have been tempted but can't get the stones to push much past that on the street (interstate hwy). :scared :rotflmao guess that's part of the being new thing...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts