Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Another question if you will. A radiator hose busted on me today that leads from the T-stat housing down along the right side of the engine to the back of the cylinder head. Bummer that hose goes for $30 bucks plus shipping. So, I get a piece of universal heater hose with one 90 degree bend in it. It works fine at this moment. OK, off the right side of the air box it's a small tit with a small line on it. It's pretty much the same on the other side but a little different. In the service manual they call them dirt collectors. The one on the left side has a plug at the end of the line. The one on the right side fell off something and burned on the exhaust. I'm not sure if I should repair it to look like the other side or not. The reason being the line was leading to the front of the bike. The bottom of the ram air has a nipple on it the same size of the air box tit. You would think a piece of the hose would be left on the tit. Does anyone know which way this line should be hooked up on my 2000 zx-11? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
These are drain lines from the airbox to let out water that may enter through ram air also any oil that comes off the air filter. They are normally both plugged just to stop oil/ oily water dripping out maybe onto tyre. I lost the plugs from mine and have never re plugged them. If you have lost the hose might be a good idea to replace just to conduct any oil/oily water out of the airbox and away from engine etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guys, These lines are there to catch and gather liquid contaminants that have entered the airbox but if they are not plugged it provides an entrance for contaminants (dust/water) into the airbox, generally after the filter even. They must be plugged during operation. Some bikes also have a see threw (filter looking) container in this line. The idea is to catch and hold these contaminants until the next oil and/or air filter change at which time you should remove the plug and drain any contents. Remember, if there not plugged, vacuum will be present there sucking in anything it can.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool deal guys, I pretty much made it just like the other side. I thought it was odd that the line was leading to the front of the bike. THe line was actually burned into by the header....Thanks for the 411

1 - 4 of 4 Posts