Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blue on Black...All my mods from my 2007 transfered fine to the 2012 except for the power commander which I left on the old bike. I feel the flys need to come out of this one too. In the process of having my 2007 ZX10R front fender painted to match this bike...I'll post pics when complete!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking Good!!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
looks nice man.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Please tell can you really feel the extra 30 or so extra lbs. the '12 model has? Do you think it transitions better because of the lighter rims? Does the suspension feel stiffer?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please tell can you really feel the extra 30 or so extra lbs. the '12 model has? Do you think it transitions better because of the lighter rims? Does the suspension feel stiffer?
Even before I took the 40 lb stock exhaust off the bike it felt very nimble. The curb weight of the 2012 is only up 18 lbs over the 2011 (584 lbs vs. 566 lbs). Part of the difference in feel for me was the change in wheel weight for sure. Not only are the new wheels lighter but my old 14 wheels I had chromed (something I will never do again) adding even more weight. I also don't know if KHI is using better bearings or if my old bearings were just crap but the bike is way easier to push around.

As far as the suspension it felt better but still a little soft for me. I replaced the rear shock almost right away and stiffened the front adjusting preload, and both rebound and compression damping (still tweaking). Likely going to upgrade the front forks through Traxxion Dynamics next summer.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Even before I took the 40 lb stock exhaust off the bike it felt very nimble. The curb weight of the 2012 is only up 18 lbs over the 2011 (584 lbs vs. 566 lbs). Part of the difference in feel for me was the change in wheel weight for sure. Not only are the new wheels lighter but my old 14 wheels I had chromed (something I will never do again) adding even more weight. I also don't know if KHI is using better bearings or if my old bearings were just crap but the bike is way easier to push around.

As far as the suspension it felt better but still a little soft for me. I replaced the rear shock almost right away and stiffened the front adjusting preload, and both rebound and compression damping (still tweaking). Likely going to upgrade the front forks through Traxxion Dynamics next summer.
What do you think of the Traxxion AK-gas fork system? I like it, but there doesn't seem to be many riders using it. Sure it's expensive. It's a little cheaper than a set of the FGRT forks, though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you think of the Traxxion AK-gas fork system? I like it, but there doesn't seem to be many riders using it. Sure it's expensive. It's a little cheaper than a set of the FGRT forks, though.
Im sure it kicks ass but ya too expensive. If I was to drop that much money I would just get Ohlins forks. Traxxion has an upgrade option which the name escapes me. Basically a shock rebuild with custom springs matched to weight and riding style and their version of the "gold valve", new seals, oil, etc, for around $700 including shipping.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Looks great . It must have felt good to know all the $$$ you put into the last 14 was money well spent because you used it on the new one . Plus the old one is usually worth more bone stock than modified .

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Nice! Christmas all over again.

Enjoy your new toy. :smile

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also don't know if KHI is using better bearings or if my old bearings were just crap but the bike is way easier to push around.

More likely due to a degree of brake binding on the old model. If the bearings were that crap that it made the bike harder to push around they wouldn't last 5 minutes on the road. JMO

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd hang fire with this move if I were you. I'm thinking it could mess up the traction control if the system uses the 'flies' as part of the power control.
I have the traction control turned off 99% of the time anyway...:crazyloco

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome bike!The blue color is outstanding!I have a blue ZX9R but the more I look at the new 14 the more I like it. I'm sure the blue looks even nicer on the street.
Is the new seat more comfortable?
They claim the new model does not heat so much as the older models, is it true?
Did you ride in the past any ZX9R, can you tell me how good is a 14 on the twisties compared to the 9?

I would like to switch to a 14 for longer trips, but I do ocasional track days and twisty roads with my 9.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts