Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Just finished with my homemade E52 topcase mount. Took JamminJere's idea, and used what I had onhand to make it. All I had was a plate of 1/4" aluminum, a saber saw, and a drill. I'll try to list the steps for you, like Jerry did for me.

1) Remove stock plastic rack, and simply trace onto your plate, clamp them together and center punch your mounting hole.
2) I took mine to a local machine shop and had the holes countersunk so that the stock bushings would be a little lower.
3) I then put the plate on the bike and found that the stock rack is cut out underneath to allow it to sit level when resting on the front end of the rack mount. I marked the locations with a pencil, and cut the are out of the aluminum plate.
4) Found the center of the plate using the bolt holes, then centered the Givi E250 universal mount on the plate.
5) I then marked my bolt hole locations for the mount, and added two extra holes on the front of the aluminum plate.
6) Did the wiring per instructions (black w/yellow stripe and small bule wires)
7) Notched (Thanks Jerry!) the plastic Givi plate to fit over the bolts mounting the aluminum plate to the bike.
8) Bolted the aluminum plate to the bike, then the Givi E250. A piece of duct tape will hold the nuts onto the wrench allowing you to reach the inner bolts easily. Front and rear pairs of bolts are readily accessible.
9) You're done. (If you believe it was THAT easy, I have an FJR1300 thats better than a C14 to sell you...) It took about three hours to assemble the Givi light kit, backrest, and to do the additional cutting on the aluminum plate.

I have pics, but like so many others have no idea how to post them. Will work on that now...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Final fitup looks clean. Well done.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great job Reese! Thanks for the pics. Looks very stable. Are you going to put some sort of finish on it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not as of yet klb. I might go ahead and make one that is slightly longer in the back. Although almost all of the Givi pics I see show at least a couple of inches hanging over the rear of what it is mounted to, I worry a little. I might make another one that is about to inches longer in the back.. Should make it a bunch more stable. I am working with a buddy right now on making a new "stock" rack out of heavy aluminum. Phone calls to and from the west coast are hard to keep up with though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great Job, Buddy!

Now... Did you take the kids or wife out yet with the new backrest in place???

And how did kids like the ride/their thoughts of the bike. I love how kids describe the bike...

Anybody else have any cute stories what their kids say about the bike?

Buddy if you get hooked up with that guy that can machine ship screws and propellers that oughta be one fancy luggage rack for sure.

Jerry

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went out to ride the Jamestown Ferry loop early this morning while everyone else was asleep. Came back with 1,002 miles (WOOO WHOOOO NO MORE BREAK-IN!!) Then it rained the rest of the day......

·
Registered
160 Posts
That topcase is just what I have been looking for. You say it came off an ST100? Is it a Honda part or aftermarket?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow...I really, really like that low profile one.....as a working photographer, I like to ride but also carry much of my pro gear while I ride....so, that box I would fit a couple of bodies and an extra lens and then put the big glass in the side cases. :mfclap :mfclap :mfclap

I am gonna surf ebay for the helluva it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts