Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just setting off to the dealers to pick up my UK 1400GTR, it's been in stock for 6 days but a minor paperwork problem held up delivery. All sorted now so can pick up today:rofl

John

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just setting off to the dealers to pick up my UK 1400GTR, it's been in stock for 6 days but a minor paperwork problem held up delivery. All sorted now so can pick up today:rofl

John
Hi John,

Looking forward to hearing about your first impressions on the bike.:smile

What were you riding before the GTR?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well finally picked bike up and enjoyed a 67 mile ride back home.
Previous bikes Honda Blackbird, ST1300 BMW K1200LT BMW R1200RT
Initial views..............

Gearbox superb very smooth.
Engine fantastic!!
Build finish excellent.
67 miles of mixed riding returned 42 mpg according to onboard computer.
Handling is excellent.
Ride height just about ok for me (6' tall) not able to stand flat footed but almost there.
Brakes are excellent.
KIPASS system seems pretty good and straightforward to use.

A cople of things that could be improved.
Electric windscreen, waste of time for me as it just creates to much turbulance around my helmet when raised, rode mostly with screen down which put the airflow on my chest. Fine in summer but will be very chilly in winter.

HEAT around legs, air temp 25 degress C today and my legs were getting VERY warm especially the left one. Mechanic who did PDI and test ride also commented on the heat being generated around the leg area.

Glove box a little bit small and does not lock.
Handlebars could do with just being slightly more back as I found slight pressure on my hands as leaning slightly forward. Grips are very hard may have to get some Gel ones.

These are just a few observations from my first run.
John

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi John,

I have mixed feelings about your mixed review!

The screen issue is not a surprise as every bike I have owned has needed either a taller screen or an aftermarket addition such as the Laminar Lip.

At 5 feet 8 inches the seat height could be a problem for me but when I sat on the bike it didn't seem to be. I suppose that being used to riding the Hesketh at 838mm height and only getting my toes down, the 815mm of the GTR seems a luxury.

The heat issue on the legs has been raised a number of times and this is the one I would worry about most when travelling long distances. I can only assume that if the guys in California find it a problem Kawasaki will come up with a solution fairly quickly!

I don't pick mine up until mid August but I will have a 500 mile journey back to home - a good test if ever there was one!:runaway

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

I have mixed feelings about your mixed review!

The screen issue is not a surprise as every bike I have owned has needed either a taller screen or an aftermarket addition such as the Laminar Lip.

At 5 feet 8 inches the seat height could be a problem for me but when I sat on the bike it didn't seem to be. I suppose that being used to riding the Hesketh at 838mm height and only getting my toes down, the 815mm of the GTR seems a luxury.

The heat issue on the legs has been raised a number of times and this is the one I would worry about most when travelling long distances. I can only assume that if the guys in California find it a problem Kawasaki will come up with a solution fairly quickly!

I don't pick mine up until mid August but I will have a 500 mile journey back to home - a good test if ever there was one!:runaway
Hi Ken,
My review was just my own persoanal feelings on the first run. I agree with all your comments, I have had the same with all bikes had to do something with the screen (it would just have been nice to have one that works for me from new). Heat issue as you say I am sure will be resolved but surely they knew about it with all the road testing the bike must have done.

All in all I am very pleased, it's a superb bike which I love riding!!!
Hope you enjoy yours and have a good first 500 mile run.
John

·
Registered
85 Posts
The screen and heat issues were ones I noticed as well. The screen will just have to be replaced when it's available. The heat on mine was bad when I first got it last Saturday, but after 200 miles it seems to be running much cooler. It's still warm, but not hot like at first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did they say what the paperwork problem was. I should have picked up mine today but the dealer told me that there was a problem with the paperwork, and that was it. Hopefully will pick up early neaxt week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Did they say what the paperwork problem was. I should have picked up mine today but the dealer told me that there was a problem with the paperwork, and that was it. Hopefully will pick up early neaxt week.

All they said was the bike had arrived and the paperwork had not. It took a whole 6 days to get the paperwork.
Sill well worth the wait

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The screen and heat issues were ones I noticed as well. The screen will just have to be replaced when it's available. The heat on mine was bad when I first got it last Saturday, but after 200 miles it seems to be running much cooler. It's still warm, but not hot like at first.
Have noticed my bike is now running with less heat on my leg than when first ridden. Still warm but much much better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Picked up my gtr yesterday after owning a zzr1400 for only 6 weeks. Played havock with my back after owning a st1300. What a relief this bike is. Alot better than the st1300. Main grumbles so far is the mirrors are good to check the pannier lids are closed on the move. Can't really see anything else. Seat hieght is a bit high for putting your feet down and keep kicking the panniers when mounting and dismounting. They appear to be a bit high up. Otherwisw the bike is great,best I've owned yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hold up. I was going to wait for an ABS bike but after a few days it was killing me so I picked up the dealer test bike.

It's well designed bike with little room for improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts