Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this project of mine has been going on for about a year now but just recently things have started to take off, parts are still on order and should be here next week and other parts are being made but the goal is to get a rolling chassis together for my motor guy, then we can start with the tuning. Here's some pics of project so far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
those carbon ram air tubes are friggin sweet... might need to know where to get those at some point... you should list what parts you've put on and or what you're cobbling together for those that don't see aftermarket or nonfactory stuff as easily... ie. me... :p it's a 7r frame right? did u just hack down the subframe for the weight or what? where does the 10rr come in? details man, details....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
those carbon ram air tubes are friggin sweet... might need to know where to get those at some point... you should list what parts you've put on and or what you're cobbling together for those that don't see aftermarket or nonfactory stuff as easily... ie. me... :p it's a 7r frame right? did u just hack down the subframe for the weight or what? where does the 10rr come in? details man, details....
OK, here's a small list:

1996 ZX7R Frame / Sub Frame and Swing Arm
2005 ZX10R Triple Tree
2005 ZX10R USD Forks
2005 ZX10R Radial Brake Calipers / Front and Rear
2004 ZX10R Front and Rear Wheels
1994 ZX9R Motor w/ Zlock Racing 950 OverBore (Heads flowed, port & polished). The motor was completly rebuilt with brand new internals as well as the tranny.

BRG Racing ZX7R / 9R conversion kit
WoodCraft Clip Ons - bars
WoodCraft Rear Sets
2007 CBR 1000RR Hydraulic Clutch Perch
CRG Brake and Clutch levers
GPR Steering Stabilizer
Harris Fairibg Stay
Penske Triple Clicker Racing Shock
Galfer Front and Rear Wave Rotors
Renthal Rear Sprocket
Driven Front Sprocket
OPP Carbon Fiber Ram Air Ducts
OPP Carbon Fiber Front Fender
Galfer Front and Rear SS Brake LInes
Ferado Brake Pads
Hot Bodies Body Work
Puig Wind Screen
Micron Full Race Exhaust System

The Rear wheel seen in the pics is temporary as I am still waiting for my new front and rear axles to arrive, after they come I wiil be installing some custom captive spacers for the rear wheel (eases on/off tire changes).

I've left some stuff off the list for now but you get the idea, need more info just ask.
OH and yes the the idea behind chopping off the subframe is to save weight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
lookin really good man... what are you doing for gauges up in the stay? if I would've known of an aftermarket solution I possibly wouldn't have bought used ones off ebay, but whatever... keep the updates coming... I always thought a 7 to 9 swap would be awesome...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks JIM, originally I had just the tackometer and the lap timer but I've been lookin at some of the new digital dashes with everything in them, so I might go that route, haven't quite decided yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sweet project,I'm doing the same thing.I 'm doing a little more to the motor,getting the crank stroked,and going with JE pistons,I had Dymag carbon fiber wheels but putting the front forks on i hand to chang the wheels.I have the cabon fiber tail and gas tank.It's been put on the backburner for now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup me to, except I got the Wisco pistons. What performance figures are you looking at. (example: rear wheel horsepower, weight, etc.....????)
Well I had it Dyno'ed before i took it apart and with the stock 9 motor it did 127.5 with doing so much to it i don't know what to think.As for the weight I want to get it down to at least 390lbs.When i took it apart I weighed everything and I do meen eveything.I know the 10r forks are like 10lbs lighter then the 7r.Just wondering what did you do for the triple clamps cuz i was going to get a Attack one? I remember looking at a ad that a guy somewhere in the south did a 7r with the 9 motor and it made 187HP at the rear wheel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Supposedly the whole front end including the triple and wheel will decrease the weight by 30 lbs. As for the triple clamp, it's a ZX10R triple and I removed the ignition (relocated it). All you have to do is either remove the races from the 7R frame, pop the races in from the ZX10R ( the outside demension is the same size ), OR you can go the way I went and use the 7R races, but you'll have to remove the bearings from the 7R's steering stem and the ZX10's( 7R: 25mm / 10R: 28mm) for the swap but be WARNED, this method is much more difficult but if you decide to go the later than here's a little hint , before you reinstall the lower bearing you must either install the 7's oil seal or install a spacer to compensate for the width of the oil seal, if you do not do this then the top of the lower triple willrub on the bottom of the frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Magfed

Great Job.:clap Looks clean. Your going the same path I am only thing is you are many steps ahead of me. :headscratch I havent aquired the forks and thats because I heard there where issues with the stops. What did you do about the stops. Do you know if the forks hit the tank when its mounted? Someone once said they just be careful. I didnt like that answer.:tard

JJ

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks so nice.dam I have to start saving $$$$ What was the cost of the front end, Wheel,brakes,forks ect......
DoJo, the front end including (triple tree, forks, front & rear wheels) cost me $500.00 , the rotors (Galfer) cost me $285.00 brand new:rotflmao and the front calipers cost me $100.00 on egay. All in All the deal of the were the rotors.:rotflmao

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dude, the bike you are building is awesome. please keep us updated...I am thinking of doing the same thing, was thinking about a 7r with a newer 10r motor but i found a 94 7r with a 9r motor already in it, I may buy that bike and get started swapping out suspension and brakes. is there a cheaper way a guy can go with the shock? will a 10r shock work? i imagine it might be screwed up because of the weight difference between a 7r and the newer 10r. what do you think? how much can i get a performance shock for and where? how about hardracing.com?
Oh and what do you think about race cams? I have heard the guys over at gixxer forums talking about using stock intake cams from a smaller engine as an exhaust cam on a bigger one...for example 750 intake as an exhaust cam on a 1000cc engine. have you heard of that before? maybe i could use a 7r intake cam as an exhaust cam on a 9r motor.
thanks
Ian

p.s. here's an idea for a name for your bike....ZX-RR. you can even get the stickers for it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Kudos to you Magfeed!

Wow, this is awesome. But why stop at stock caliper and master cylinders for the brakes? Why not go Brembo?

Also, if you don't mind me (I know everyone else wants to know too) asking, could you put a price tag on the whole project?

And please, we've no updates for 6 months! What's the ZX-RR look like now?

·
Registered
118 Posts
wow! great info

I just found this forum, and glad I DID! I have recently started considering a ZX7/9 engine swap myself. All the info on here is very helpfull!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts