Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting my new Dainese Air Pelle jacket Iv been looking at chest protectors & body armor.

Shit is expensive, from @49.00 up to damn near $300.00 bucks.
Looked at Knox, Bhonn, astars etc etc.
I just wanted a simple chest protector, with no straps or belts.
Dainese & astars both make such an item.
The Dainese Thorax looks to be the best of the two @ $70.00.(has hard & soft armor.
The astsars is only soft, This got me to thinking, hmmm (stand back this could be dangerous)

Iv got an old foamy back protector lying in the closet, (came with an old jacket)

So I get it out & take a pair of scissors to it. ....

before

After

About a 1/2" of foam & its perforated too, Not the best protection, But it was free.
Took me all of 5 minutes to make.

Gos in easy & fast

Fits snug enough to stay in place, But is not tight. I'm typing in it.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
you should get a layer of CF or fiberglass or kevlar and resin it to the outside to make it rigid and more skid resistant

·
16,062 Posts
"protection" my ass.

He did that so he can strut passed that cute cashier he spotted the other day.

*sigh*stretch* yep, just leavin the gym. Might go back later, only worked out 5 times today *smug look*.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
"protection" my ass.

*sigh*stretch* yep, just leavin the gym. Might go back later, only worked out 5 times today *smug look*.
:crackup

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Free protection...yeah, that's about what it's worth. At least the holes in the foam will allow him to easily bleed through.

DW

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh that hurt, you guys are hard core. hahahaha

Hey somethings gotta be better than nothing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"protection" my ass.

oops busted.

·
16,062 Posts
Did you ride with it yet?
Does it make it difficult to bend over the tank?
Have you considered cutting it down the middle and sewing or having someone sew mesh panels/pockets on either side of the front/inside of the jacket?
That way, you can insert/remove it like the rest of the armor and it will stay in the jacket when you take it off.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you ride with it yet?
Does it make it difficult to bend over the tank?
Have you considered cutting it down the middle and sewing or having someone sew mesh panels/pockets on either side of the front/inside of the jacket?
That way, you can insert/remove it like the rest of the armor and it will stay in the jacket when you take it off.
Thought about all that, It is surprisingly comfy in the setting position.
I wrote the original post with it on.
I cut it so it would not bother me in a tuck, Also the wast was cut for the same reason.

It stays in place as long as the jacket is zipped.

After looking at the astars slip in slip out protector & the Dainese Thorax,
I thought hell I could maybe make something like that.
granted the Dainese does have hard armor on the outside.
But the astarts is just a piece of covered foam, & attaches to nothing.
You just slip it under your jacket.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So you bought this nice dianese jacket and you don't want to spend a measly $70 for a chest protector? I just wanted to clear it. Dianese makes super nice stuff for sure. I mean nothing much is ganna stop you from gettn messed up if it goes thru that jacket. Isn't dianese stuff all kangaroo anyways? That's like the carbon fiber of jackets. But I mean I guess it's ganna do something more than a shirt for a few seconds! And it's deff cheaper lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will probably get the Thorax eventually, Just thought I have this stupid foam back protector, Why not see what I can do.
It only took 5 minutes & cost nothing. I did get a nice Dainese back protector for this jacket.

·
16,062 Posts
But I mean I guess it's ganna do something more than a shirt for a few seconds! And it's deff cheaper lol
Well, it will do more for impact than sliding.
If, by chance, he's tossed from the bike and suffers an impact of say, 1500 lbs of force to the chest, and that piece of foam absorbs/dissapates 10-20% of it,
it could easily be the difference between bad bruising and a broken sternum.
There's a billion variables in a wreck. Removing even just a few of them is a plus.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may never use it, would certainly never use it on the track, just wanted to see what I could do.
maybe I''l think twice before sharing more hairbrained ideas.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I may never use it, would certainly never use it on the track, just wanted to see what I could do.
If you read between the lines, RR and DW just wanna know if it worked to pick up the girl :crackup

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
If you read between the lines, RR and DW just wanna know if it worked to pick up the girl :crackup
+1 and if the pad doesn't work you could wrap some charmin around your torso for added protection:rotflmao.... Sorry I couldn't resist

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

No, really....please share those ideas. It gives us something to bust on!

DW

Oh, and by the way, Popeye.....did the goil like yer muskles?

D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1 and if the pad doesn't work you could wrap some charmin around your torso for added protection:rotflmao.... Sorry I couldn't resist
Oh Iv done that already, But for another part of my anatomy.:eek:hno

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries, Iv got thick skin. & apparently a thick head too.:smile

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:rotflmao still showing off to the ladies I see
Yeah but you should see the disappointed looks on there faces when the truth is finally revealed.:scared

1 - 20 of 29 Posts