Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Aloha guys. Sorry I haven't had any recent post. As I was recovering from Workmen's Comp and working on my other bike, I'm not able to work on our beloved 7 too much. Most of my time and money goes towards this restoration. So just to show you guys what I'm working on, decided to upload few pictures because it looks like motorcycle now. Anyway, I know you guys like pictures, although not too sure how many guys here like old bike, enough talk and here we go.

Started with this. I had this bike since early 80's. Came apart when I got my 7, or shortly after. can't remember since it was looooooooooooong time ago.

See that beat up tank? Well, it looks like this now. Took off the "Kawasaki" emblems off because that are common place to accumulate water and rust start from there. Inside the tank, I treated the tank with Evapo-Rust and coated with POR-15. Had some pinholes (Yes, with S) at the bottom of the tank so for now, it's been patched up with JB Weld. Since the tank is coated, see how long it'll last.

As you can see in the first picture, wheels were too far gone for just cleaning. Thought about painting it, but decided to powdercoat it since it will see lots of action like pebble missiles and brake dust fog, among other few things. When I dropped off the wheels and other stuff, only owner and his wife was there but when I went to pick up the stuff about week later, there were couple FNG and owner was training the staff, so I had a bad feeling which came true. But it was small enough for me to ignore it and take care of it myself.
Didn't wanted to wait another week or so.

Now, as of yesterday, this is how she sit. Still missing engine, which is sitting in my living room, ready to go back in . Just need to work on few small stuff. And the tank, which is in my living room as well. I don't want that to rust again. Ever.

Some of you may noticed the rear shock, so I'll upload this as well. Got myself a pretty decent ZRX shocks. So I put it on just to see how it looks on the bike. BTW, front fork already have aftermarket springs in it, and weight of the oil has been changed to heavier one.

So! As soon as this project is finish or close to it. I will continue my work on 7. I just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't gave up on the project. Everytime I see something on evilbay, I'm on it! ( I need to look for parts for this KZ anyway).

Reactions: slim1100

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Aloha guys. Had some down time at work today and I had this sitting in my trunk of my car, so decided to clean it. This hugger was changed by Kawasaki under warranty. The initial location of rear reflector was design mistake that chewed up the original fender that came with the bike. I think they replaced the hugger and reflector mount as I do not have any damage on this hugger. Anyway, Nothing to see, but I know you guys like pictures, so I'll load it up.

The Holy Grail. Well, almost. Before cleaning. Just dirty.

After cleaning. Just soap and water.

I'll look for more parts and start cleaning. Not too often, but I do have down time at work so it should speed things up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Aloha guys.

As I mentioned before, I usually have some down time at work so I decided to blast few parts yesterday and take them to my workplace. I won't finish them in one day, but I'll keep them at my work and whenever I have time, I'll work on whatever I need. Disassemble, paint, reassemble just to name a few. I'm still focusing on my other bike, so 7 rebuild will be whenever and whatever I can, so update will be far in between. Anyway, I know you guys are picture freaks, so here we go. I forgot to take picture of before the blasting, so I only have one part for now.

Patient of the day. Meter bracket. I had other part like tail light bracket, but forgot to take picture of before so only this for now.

After 15 minutes in the blaster. Just to see how it'll come out, I used 60-grit Alum. Oxide this time instead of usual 120. I think 60 will work better to remove paint and such but it's too big for this kind of parts. I'll try 80 next time to see how it goes.

Working on handlebar controls. As I moved some switches, some of them was rather difficult to move, so decided to take them apart and do whatever necessary to make them smoother. Clean, grease and wire and terminal repair coming next.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Continued from above.

I think this is High/Low beam switch. Look nasty................

Springs and balls that came out from the switches.

That's it for today. Next will be cleaning and repair of the switches. Also, foam pad that was on the meter bracket is long gone. The plastic outside cover is still intact, so looking for replacement foam at this time. I probably gonna get something little denser than what Kawasaki put on the original. Anybody have any idea what or where should I look for?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,580 Posts
Don't know where to look for it. maybe search for automotive weather resistant foam? I have no idea what its proper name is

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Don't know where to look for it. maybe search for automotive weather resistant foam? I have no idea what its proper name is
Thanks! I didn't even know where to begin with. Now, I have something to look for. At least it's a start.

Reactions: 92Ninjas
241 - 246 of 246 Posts