Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Aloha guys.

Question. How is the rear Aluminum sprocket hold up to out beloved 7?

I was looking at Vortex racing and came across rear sprockets but they don't have stock 46 tooth sprocket in steel. Yes, they listed 46-tooth in the pull down menu, however, when you click to buy it, it will list as 48-tooth. So I went to send them message and they have confirmed that they don't have 46-tooth steel sprocket. They do have it in Aluminum, hence this question.

Any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I have used aluminum on both my street and track bikes and have no complaints. Keep the chain properly lubed and it will last. I usually end up replacing them due to the chain needing replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
As previously stated, the aluminum sprockets will last and have no issues if the bike is properly taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Agreed with the guys above, no bad aluminum experiences here street or track, however as 2fat stated, "if the bike is properly taken care of" is always a factor. As you know what you're doing you shouldn't have issues.

If you do have concerns about the long term, have a look at these guys:

https://www.supersproxusa.com/

Sweet design, steel outer chain wheel for better wear is affixed to an aluminum carrier for mass reduction, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Thanks guys for the input.

Aluminum it is.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Aloha guys.

Sorry for lack of progress. Been bit busy with work and personal life, namely car repair.

Anyway, if my request gets approve, I have day-off coming up on 9/14 and 15 and hopefully, I get to work on the bike which is long overdue.

Now, my question this time is, are there any DOT approved flush mount turn signal we can use? I can't find my original turn signals at the moment, and I have a bad feeling that I threw them away when I installed my non-DOT approve flush mount turn signals. I just thought it looked ugly having a regular turn signal and inspection wasn't that strict back then. Fast forward it to today and it's more strict because of the car guys keep using non-DOT approve lights. Yeah, that trickle down to bikes as well and the inspector WILL look for that DOT on any lights now. (In my state, we have what we call safety inspection annually. And yes, car or bike next to you can belch out some kind of smoke from the tail pipe but WILL pass the safety inspection if they have all the safety equipment working. On the other hand, you can have perfectly good working car/bike but if you have one safety equipment, such as non working horn or your left tail light is non-DOT piece, they can fail you. Don't ask me how I know this.)

If push come to shove and can't find any, I'll just have to look for OEM used turn signal which I found couple on evilbay so that should be no problem.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I lived on Oahu for 3 years. Hawaii is beautiful and I love it there, but the safety inspection/ reconstruction permit requirements are a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 · (Edited)
I lived on Oahu for 3 years. Hawaii is beautiful and I love it there, but the safety inspection/ reconstruction permit requirements are a pain in the ass.
How long ago was that? Lately, trade wind are rare event and getting really humid and hot here. Still, weather are nice. What I mean is that not too much rain and of course, no snow.

Also, cost of living are getting ridiculous. Try find a studio for less than 1k. Yes, it's available, but not in town area. Two bedroom apartment is available at almost 2k, if not more.

Hey, have I mentioned cost of living?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I moved in 2009. It was very expensive then, I hate to see it now.

I plan to go back soon for out next vacation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I moved in 2009. It was very expensive then, I hate to see it now.

I plan to go back soon for out next vacation.

2009 wasn't too bad for us. Try now. Whatever you remember, multiply that by two and you have pretty good idea of how much it cost now. I'm not kidding.

If I'm not mistaken, our state was #1 at cost of living (most expensive), but our pay scale was at somewhere around 27th.

Need to get out of here if I really want to finish my bike................ :serious::serious::serious:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Aloha guys.

Yet another question. This time it's fuel hose.

Now, my H model uses 7mm fuel line here and there. Just what you guys use? Smaller hose to fit over bigger fitting or bigger hose to fit smaller fitting? Reason for my question is that I want to try avoid, as much as possible, the regular hose clamp and want to stick with stock tension-type clamp.

Also, I see lots of silicone hoses when I do fuel hose search. I have no experience with these hoses. Are they tough enough for everyday gasoline use?

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just installed my fuel lines last night. I used 5/16” ID grey Motion Pro fuel hose.

I ran into an issue with the hose from the tank to the filter, because I’m using a quick disconnect. I ordered a pre-molded universal hose that I will cut the 90* and 180* portions to make it work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Thanks for the info.

Do you use the worm-gear type clamp or OEM ones?

Kinda worry about fuel leak as most of my bike brackets are just the spray can paint for now. Once I get it up and running, probably take the brackets off one by one and have it painted professionally or may go with powder coating.

Anyway, that is my reason why I want to avoid any fuel leak as it will wipe the paint right off...............

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 · (Edited)
Aloha guys.

As promised, I took this weekend off to work on my bike. Well, actually I needed to work on the front brake of my DD Lincoln, but hey, it was a good excuse to use to get the day-off I needed.

Anyway, as I mentioned, my goal here was to get the front brakes done on my DD Lincoln, so I couldn't do much on Saturday, and I had to do some errands today until about 3 pm, so work done are minimum. But still, I managed to snap few pictures to upload. I mainly worked on the wheel, namely the bearings so work here are pretty straight forward so I'm not even going to explain the details.

Anyway, here we go.

Saturday's work.

Rear shock back from Racetech. Shipping was little more than I wanted to pay for, but I'm very satisfied with their work.

They even return you the valve(s) they replaced to show you!

I asked them to clock the line so it won't interfere with upper shock mount. I was bit worried until I got it back as I had bad experience before (not from them but some other mail order work) but they did great work here too!

Shock installed in the bike.

Linkage side on the shock. Linkage used is P model linkage. I still not comfortable with the spacing, but we'll see. I'm hoping for the best.

Little by little, beginning to look like motorcycle. The other bike is my 82 KZ/GPz 750 I'm working on. Engine is in the house getting rebuild.

Finally took out wheel bearings.

Bearing seat - Rear wheel. Both side look good.

However, left side front bearing seat need some cleaning to do. Good side first.

The bad. Sorry for the bad picture. By this time, my whole body was aching.................

Had to call off my work little earlier than expected. Rain was fast approaching. My side was OK, but the other side of the mountain was raining heavy according to the news this morning.

Today................

Took out my electric pressure washer and without any detergent, cleaned out the wheel. Still kinda dirty, but way better than before.

Front wheel.

Rear wheel.

Time to reinstall the carb boots. Nothing special here. No. They are not hard at all.

Took out my Dremel with brass wire brush and cleaned the bearing seat. They cleaned pretty well. It was just dirty. No corrosion here.

Front wheel done! Bearing are already installed, but nothing special so I'll skip the detail.

Installed the used disks I bought from evilbay.

Now with the front wheel and disks installed, it's biggining to look more motorcycle now. More so than yesterday.

That's it for today. I did not have time to do the rear wheel as I forgot to clean the hub side of the wheel. I enjoyed the work I did on the bike and this just reminded me just how much I miss working on this baby. I have some time coming up as I will change my job soon and I have one weekday off, so I should be able to work little more now.

Damn. I need more time off......................

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Sorry for back to back post. I forgot to ask this in my previous post.

Question. What is the cheapest motorcycle, or any oil I can use in our beloved SS?

Reason for this is that pretty soon, I will fire up my engine and I just need cheap oil for now. After I get everything sorted out, I will drain the oil, install new friction disk and put in REAL motorcycle oil in it.

I just hate to waste $50 just to get the engine fire up....................

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Aloha guys.

To make the long story short, I'm unemployed for next two weeks or so (well, week and a half now) so this was great time to work on my bike! No! I'm very tight on budget but what can I do? So I WAS gonna take this opportunity to work on my bike with all these parts that I collected. BUT! Did you see that big WAS? It's friggin' raining!! And all day too!

So frustrated, I decided to upload some pictures. Here we go.

New brake hoses I got from UK. Just arrived on Monday! I was gonna install these but oh well.

They had several colors to choose from, but decided to get the Black hoses with Black fittings.

Stock front sprocket. Weighted in at 240g.

Renthal lightweight front sprocket. Weighted in at 213g.

Now, I need to get the rear sprocket so I can install the drive chain. Probably go with Aluminum sprocket with stock teeth count. But even before that, I need some sunshine!

Anybody know how to do "stop-rain" dance?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Aloha guys.

Been a while since my last post. lately, I been so busy with both work and my daily life I didn't have any chance to work on the bike. Recently, my DD Lincoln took a dump while I was on freeway and had to change radiator. That's just one of the problem I had. So I was so happy to work on the bike today.

Now I was supposed to work on my KZ, but I hit a snag (missing parts) so decided to work on my 7. wasn't much as I mostly did sandblasting the brackets. But this time, parts I'm blasting was steel pieces, so decided to change blasting media and used Aluminum Oxide, 120 grit. Did a pretty good job. Since it was steel parts, had lotta rust so I couldn't paint the pieces today. Besides, it was humid day anyway.

Sorry! forgot to take picture while I was doing this! but nothing major, so I'm pretty sure you guys won't mind.

Hopefully, I will be able to start with actual work soon. I have all these parts sitting in the house, but I can't work on my bike!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Aloha Guys.

Sorry it's been a while since my last post. Really busy since I started my new job four month ago. Working as GSE mechanic and it's not funny. There's always something broken.

Anyway, to make the long story short, We will be moving in about year and a half or so, so I'm concentrating on my KZ for now as my son will be riding this and will be his primary bike. No, he's not moving with us, so I need to restore this before my 7. So collecting parts and working on my KZ for now. It will be another few more month before I can work on my 7. KZ will be just ground up restoration, so nothing to post, but just to keep you guys happy, I MAY BE posting some picture(s)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't give up, yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Aloha Guys. Long time no see!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still working on my beloved 7, and I haven't gave up on the project. As I mentioned before, I need to complete my KZ first, so my my 7 is sidelined for now. I need to finish my KZ first so both me and my son can go to motorcycle safety course to bypass the license test (my motorcycle license has expired long ago so I need to start fresh. No, I haven't forgot how to ride) so working on that thing as much as possible.

But! That doesn't mean I can't work on my 7 and today, I needed to blast couple parts, including clutch master for my 7, so here is the post! As always, I know you guys love pictures, so here we go.

Today's patient. Clutch master for my 7. First thing first, remove the rubber cover. This shouldn't be too hard. Just use small flat-blade screwdriver.

Next is the snap ring. Nothing hard if you have the right tool. If you don't have the snap ring pliers, should get one set if you plan to work on your bike.

This is the hardest part of the process. Removing this plastic piece without damaging it. According to sources like Partzilla, look like they still have the part, but I'm not taking any chances. What I did was shoot it with PB Blaster first, twist it carefully. Once it started to move, twist and pull it at the same time. Mine came out without any issue.

Last on the list is this o-ring. Mine was stick in the bore.

Inside the bore. Look nasty...................

After blasting but before air blow and cleaning. Bore looks clean now!

Now, I need to get some rebuild kit and start rebuilding. I will try to take pictures during the rebuild, but It should be pretty straight forward, so I'm not sure if it's necessary.

Reactions: ninjanut

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Dude!!! nice posting .. keep up the good work (y)

221 - 240 of 246 Posts