Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys, after a (almost) great solo trip of more than 1400 km on last weekend, when missing only 200 km to my home, the bike has stopped, entering to a gas station while idling. No lights, no starter motor, no nothing. Today I decided to remove the tank to see what could have been the cause of the first road fail on 12 years of my beloved ZX11, and I found this:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

I think I was lucky that the poor Motobatt doesn't explode under me, or that the failure doesn't happened in the middle of nowhere (it was a real possibility), this failure could be the result of a faulty voltage regulator that cooked the battery ??

Ps.: I forgot to say that all fuses are fine, it's all I've checked last Sunday.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, batteries can do this. Regulator overcharging or failure within the battery itself. You can measure voltage across after you buy a new 1 & get the bike running again to check charging numbers. Dont tear apart that alternator just yet.:cautious: My money is on battery failure/defect, considering point of manufacturer :oops::rolleyes::D
Hi Blaine, what do you mean with "considering point of manufacturer" :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, batteries can do this. Regulator overcharging or failure within the battery itself. You can measure voltage across after you buy a new 1 & get the bike running again to check charging numbers. Dont tear apart that alternator just yet.:cautious: My money is on battery failure/defect, considering point of manufacturer :oops::rolleyes::D
Ok, I suspect that it has to do with Jacksonville...
I've just talk with a motorcycle electrician and he proposed me to put an external car voltage regulator, the original here is totally unavailable and maybe it's a fine solution to have an easy part replacement. We should find a proper place to install it.
Anyway next week I'll take him the bike and he will check what really is the problem. Tomorrow should arrive the new battery, I will connect it and see if at least the lights turns on...

ps.: all newer bikes have the voltage regulator EXTERNALLY, why this had to have it internally ??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be surprised if it was the battery
@92Ninjas you were right...
And you Blaine, you owe an apology to Florida and Jacksonville !! :LOL:, because IT WAS the voltage regulator that killed my almost new Motobatt. With a smooth acceleration to little more than 3000 rpm, the electrical tester jumped instantly to 16 A, and for a safe return to my home (little more than 2 km) the electrician disconnected the alternator.
The next week I will take the bike to his shop, for a conversion to car voltage regulator, and I will install a little digital ammeter that I've purchased, somewhere on the instrumental panel, and also maybe a more accessible plug to disconnect the alternator. I really don't want to be in the same situation again...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm not sure about that being a fusible link. It kinda looks like they have a transistor bolted to that brass plate. If someone could figure out what kind of transistor it requires, you could get it from AMAZON for less than $5.00 US, -vs- the $118 CDN they are charging.
Anyone care to venture a guess?
I'm a donkey on electrics, but this tiny device sounds way expensive to me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts