Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently picked up a 1989 ZX10 and was hoping to find some people with either past or current knowledge of these old bikes!

The bike is totally stock mechanically with 25,000 miles on it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good modifications to do to this bike that may help the ride, or just better the bike in some way. I'm going to be doing a total overhaul of it (as it currently looks like s**t but I got it for dirt!) and would like to know what I should change and modify as I go along!

Currently, It seems pretty good mechanically. starts every time and idles good (once I found the idle speed adjuster.... All my other bikes are way to new for things like that).

Biggest issue I have right now is the fact that it wobbles and weaves about.

At low speeds (15-30mph ish) it weaves about like a fish in water. Tire PSI is good and the tires seem good. At higher speeds it seems fine, however I have yet to push it over 70 since I want to tackle that issue and ensure everything is proper first. So, That said, Does anyone know of a good place to start looking on these bikes for what could cause it to run like that? With no hands on the bars it feels like it wants to do a tank slap. (All my bikes run straight as an arrow with no hands at pretty much all speeds)

I am pulling all of the fairing tomorrow so I'll take some more images of her too, thinking I'm going to put together a blog and post it when its all done.

Any input or direct on mods/upgrades/areas to check/fixes for my stated issue would be WONDERFUL!

Thanks a ton!

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
Sounds like a tire balance issue, but check the steering head bearings also. How old are the tires? They may be due for replacement on a basis of age alone. Try posting future questions in the ZX-11 Forum. Your bike is the predecessor to the 11 and the only similarity to a modern ZX-10R is the displacement and the name.

I suggested quite some time ago that the older ZX-10s ZX-11 and ZZR 1200s be placed in the same forum due to their similarities. 12Rs and 14s are likewise similar, but nothing like the ZZRs other than some swingarm commonality in early years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a tire balance issue, but check the steering head bearings also. How old are the tires? They may be due for replacement on a basis of age alone. Try posting future questions in the ZX-11 Forum. Your bike is the predecessor to the 11 and the only similarity to a modern ZX-10R is the displacement and the name.

I suggested quite some time ago that the older ZX-10s ZX-11 and ZZR 1200s be placed in the same forum due to their similarities. 12Rs and 14s are likewise similar, but nothing like the ZZRs other than some swingarm commonality in early years.

I will go ahead and check out the bearings. thanks for the info.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'm doing a triple tree conversion on my 7 which I think uses the same bearing numbers as mine. I'll let you know how it works out and the part numbers if you ever want to run inverted forks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts