Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
1st post and my 1st bike,
Just picked up an old 92 ZX7R....I loved this bike when I was younger and I am glad to have found one. The bike is going to be a bit of a project as it has sat for the better part of 10 years but for $700 I couldn't resist. The fuel had been drained from the tank. Cosmetically the bike looks pretty good for its age. It has a mint custom Corbin Seat, new tires and new looking Hindle slip-on. I have just purchased a new battery and going to change out the oil and try to start her and see where we are. I pulled the gas tank off and it has small rust holes :banghead, it is being repaired. Can I put the 2 fuel lines into a jug of fuel to try and get her started???? As I am without a gas tank for over a week and really want to know if this bike will run. What oil do you guys recommend? Posting pics in now...

·
Registered
272 Posts
sounds like a great pick up. change the plugs off rip for sitting so long imo. i temporarily bypassed my reserve and ran a seperate tank. just make sure its the type of container that can actually hold the gas and not melt the jug. i used a clean tank off my snowblower. might wanna open the carbs up and clean those as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I forgot to mention plugs, I will replace those as well. The more I inspect the more I am finding problems.....and I have yet to even try to start it...lol. Just noticed the throttle cable is broke at the engine by the pully...pics coming...

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice bike. Lmk if you need any parts.
Thanks, I will indeed. Not sure what I will discover when I try and start her. I am looking for a rear fender for the tail underside (as underneath the passenger seat is open), also need somewhere I can mount the plate eventually.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have any ideas where I can find an undertail kit? 1992 ZX750J I have looked without success

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Anyone have any ideas where I can find an undertail kit? 1992 ZX750J I have looked without success
There isn't a dedicated kit for your bike. You'll have to adapt a universal one to fit if you want one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There isn't a dedicated kit for your bike. You'll have to adapt a universal one to fit if you want one.
OK I figured as much, :headscratch I will look into customizing one to fit, not my specialty, but always up for a project.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Are you wanting to replace or chop your stock rear fender? If so I would interested in buying the stock one from you. Let me know. As for oil I run the Kawasaki 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey gcarats, nice to see another local zx :smile I have a '91 and my son has a
'92 that he is working on. it would be nice to get together for a rip when you get her dialed in, i am just outside of chilliwack, but in the mission area quite often. your bike looks like a smokin deal for what you paid!!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Nice bike... welcome to the forum

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey gcarats, nice to see another local zx :smile I have a '91 and my son has a
'92 that he is working on. it would be nice to get together for a rip when you get her dialed in, i am just outside of chilliwack, but in the mission area quite often. your bike looks like a smokin deal for what you paid!!
Hi edgyzx, pretty happy with the purchase, bike needs work but for the price it is to be expected. I fired it up for the first time and was happy to hear it come to life! Only ran it for a minute as the carbs were gummed up. The carbs are now being cleaned, I am in the process of cleaning and resealing the gas tank with the por-15 repair kit...Hope to have it on the road in a month....assuming the clutch and trans. don't need work....then we should definitely go for a rip :
George

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ebay member moto_tuning_parts, thats where I got mine in 2011 they are in Portugal, Great Piece easy fitting with a pair of snips. Contact them and see if they will make an auction for you . I paid EUR 27.00 +EUR 19.00 shipping to Canada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ebay member moto_tuning_parts, thats where I got mine in 2011 they are in Portugal, Great Piece easy fitting with a pair of snips. Contact them and see if they will make an auction for you . I paid EUR 27.00 +EUR 19.00 shipping to Canada.
Excellent, thanks for the info, I will give them a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you wanting to replace or chop your stock rear fender? If so I would interested in buying the stock one from you. Let me know. As for oil I run the Kawasaki 10w-40 motorcycle oil.
Actually it doesn't have a rear fender....just looking for an original or aftermarket one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts