Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the ride. The bike starts nice. No choke lever, just hit the button. The bike has the typical 4 cyl sport bike sound (the legal EPA sound). I reset the trip, MPG, etc. Clutch pull is a bit harder than I expected. Manageable, but a bit stiff for my tastes. The Clutch and transmission are wonderful. Clutch engages nicely. Transmission is dead solid perfect. Best shifting transmission I have ever experienced. Power down low is smooth – and yes it has tons of torque. One of the things I hate about 4 cylinder bikes is that there is not much of a roll on in high gears. I find my self fighting the vibration by staying in high gears, but then I don’t have much power with out down shifting one or two gears. I don’t think that will be a problem.

Slow speed maneuvering is no problem. Bike does not feel top heavy like the original Concours.

We get out on a 4 lane highway accelerating down the on ramp was a piece of cake. Ok, lets list the things I like:

- Power everywhere
- Quiet running bike – I’ve been driving chain drive bikes for way too long
- Very neutral handling.
- First bike with an adjustable windshield. In the tallest position, you can still see over the screen. A bit of wind noise, but no buffeting. I think a lot of people will opt for a larger screen. Me – I think I am very happy. I should know more after my first long trip.
- Mileage on the computer varied from 10 – 99.9 MPG (99.9 was when I pulled in the clutch and coasted down some hills).
- Average MPG for the 27 miles was ~43.
- Seating position is great.
- Seat is good too. Needless to say 27 miles is tough to get a good feel for the long term riding.
- In over drive (6 th gear), the bike is turning very low RPMs at highway speeds.

Now for the not so great:
- There is vibration. Leaks into the pegs and handle bars. It gets worse when you accelerate. I think this a bit abnormal. The ZX14 did not vibrate like this. Other reports are claiming smooth sailing. I hope it is something simple – poorly synced injection or something. If not, I believe for long trips I can use bicycle gloves to help insolate me from the vibration. Also hope it will smooth out after my first 10K or so.
- I was riding on a 90+ degree day. There is heat from the engine. Feel the tank get warm and transmit it to the inner thigh. It’s not oppressive, but it is there. Hey a 160 HP bike produces heat. I can live with it.
- At a stop light the fans kicked in. No increase in heat for the rider was noticed. The fans are a bit loud. You will notice the.
- On the highway, the mirrors vibrate a bit. The mirrors are also low and seem to be blocked a bit by the luggage. In general I don’t see this as a problem. The bag will only be attached for trips or when I have tons of stuff to take places (like fishing)
- When I got home the fans were running again for the slow pull into the long driveway. When I turned off the bike, the fans went off too. I’m not sure this is a good thing – I think the fans need to continue to run and cool down the bike.

Well, folks that’s my story so far. There are a few warts to work out, but so far I love the bike. Do I regret my $15K decision after 27 miles? Oh hell no. Love the styling of the bike. Power will be unreal once I get it broken in. I have several trips to the mountains planned over the next week and will get a better feel over all. My wife will be taking it on a 100 mile trip and will get her thoughts on the bike.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the great bit of info Scooter! We look forward to hearing more while we wait for ours. Ride On! :mfclap

·
Registered
261 Posts
Scooter,

Can ya get that puppy out in the dark? I'm dyin for a headlight report, and how well it lights up the road, etc

Thanks for everything so far, glad you like the bike.

I thought the fans would continue running that one cycle after you turned off the key if still too hot?

Anyone else?

Looking forward to hearing more.....

Jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scooter what was the outside temp your were riding in?

I rode a 1400 yesterday in 85F and humid temps but don't recall the fans kicking in. Most of it was service road and freeway.

I also don't recall any vibes in the bars or pegs. Maybe an FI synch issue?

L

·
Registered
14 Posts
Scooter,

Can ya get that puppy out in the dark? I'm dyin for a headlight report, and how well it lights up the road, etc

Jerry
Not bad but not great - I am anal on night illumination - Stock lights are just ok in deer country at night. I've ordered a combo headlight relay and modulator so I can power 100W bulbs without frying switches/connectors/j-box. My old C10 with this setup had better illumination than the stock C14.
http://www.comagination.com/relay-kit-headlight-modulator.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Jerry

I haven't rode my Concours at night yet, because it doesn't get dark untill 11:00 or so and I am an early riser. I take it that you didn't have any problems with that kit, install, longevity And price. Are you still able to run 55watt with the 100watt? It didn't really make that clear weatherit did or not. How long did you use the systym for.

Daka

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I rode a 1400 yesterday in 85F and humid temps but don't recall the fans kicking in. Most of it was service road and freeway.

L
This is kinda what I was thinking.... Still love the bike!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

L
Out side temps here in colorado have been 92-98. It's been quite warm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scooter,

Thanks for everything so far, glad you like the bike.

I thought the fans would continue running that one cycle after you turned off the key if still too hot?

Anyone else?

Looking forward to hearing more.....

Jerry
I had a chance to ride at night. The two beams put out a narrow rectangle of light. It extends from one side of the road to the center line. Frankly the factory setting is just too low. I hit the high beams and it improved, but they felt like they were too low as well. The light it puts out is OK. I had expected better from a dual beam system. I started to crank on the dash adjustments for headlamps. Hope it might be fixed for the next trip at night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Jerry

...I take it that you didn't have any problems with that kit, install, longevity And price. Are you still able to run 55watt with the 100watt? It didn't really make that clear weatherit did or not. How long did you use the systym for.

Daka
I have been using the comagination combo relay/modulator for one year (20 000 Km) with a 100/80W bulb on my C10 with no problem whatsoever, didn't even burn a bulb. The installation is a no brainer - just disconnect the plug at the bulb and connect the modulator and connect the other end directly to the battery. It comes with it's own in-line fuse and a good size wire that bring full voltage to your bulb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts