Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
while in 4th gear and just under 4k, my bike chugs. Didn't think anything of it at first. Then it started doing it more often under the same conditions. so after looking around and not finding an answer, I decided to remove the tank and air filter. by the way, filter smells like gas. Start the bike. rev it up to somewhere around 3k and when it makes the same noise that it does when it "chugs" gas spits out of #2 & #3. WTF!
I'm not sure where to even start looking. I was thinking. Is it possible that it loses spark when it "chugs" and the compression stroke pushs the fuel back up thru the carbs?? not sure that is even possible. Just a thought.
Oh, I should also point out that i'm pretty sure the timing is off. chain is loud. I need a valve job and depending on the load during up-shifts, I get a "pop". seems they are all related. I love this bike but i'm starting to thing she is going to nickle and dime me too death and that mabe it's time to take her out back and put her down. I knew I was going to need a valve job soon but the chain (I assume the cam chain) has gotten super loud in the last month. Sounds like a really old tractor. I used seafoam around that time. Only in the oil and the fuel tank. Rode the bike hard for about 50 miles then changed the oil w/ filter. added a little more to the new oil (2 or 3 cap full) and did another oil change w/ filter a week later. Motor has just under 40k. Any ideas??

By any chance does anyone have a motor for 96-03 in good condition?? Not looking for anything that needs work or opened up.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'm opening a shop in Sarasota in a couple of weeks. Bring me your bike and I'll make her purrrr like a kitten and run like a scalded dog. I'm sure the motor is fine that you have. It sounds like you need a valve adjustment, timing chain tensioner or guides, carb cleaning and setup and then a good sync. Just bring it down and I'll get you going for less than the stealership.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Right now just a shop but I can get parts if needed from a friends shop. I haven't really thought of a name yet but as of right now it's either something generic like "Sarasota Cycles" or Kitty's Bikewerks" Haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i dono about kittys bikewerks you cant go wrong with Sarasota Cycles, KITTY'S sounds pretty dope tho!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed! Kitty's Bikewerks sounds just plain awesome..if there was a Kittysbikewerks here in Louisville I would definitely go there!

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Thanks guys. So Kitty's Bikewerkz it be LOL. Kitty's sounds like a saloon or whore house though LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts