Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
That vinyl carbon looks like real thing. The ignition switch was also replaced. Found it new on eBay for $25. which also 2 keys, the rear seat lock and the tumbler for the tank cap. That's right 1 key for everything. Changing the tumbler in the gas cap was very easy and straight forward.

I removed the screen in the air box, I used a uni filter and I love it.

All the gaskets in the carbs were replaced along with all the screws top and bottom. I changed the mains from 180 across to 160's outters and 170's inners. May be alil larger then some, but with knowing I was gonna advance the timming I figured alil extra fuel would not be such a bad thing. All four slides were in good condition. Did some VERY light sanding to the backsides to ease my mind. After all they should slide smoothly. I set the floats at 14mm. Probably could of gone to 15mm, but 14 is working quite well for me. Left the factory pilot jets as they were. Did a mean clean on the carbs before reassembling (A can of carb cleaner and my compressor for a strong blast of air.) YEAH!

I took off all the emission stuff and sealed off the airbox. Ran the vent hose to the carbs and attached the reed vales with a hose.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As you can see, I prepped and primed all the body panels to get them ready for paint. The tank was actually the easiest to do. For those who have done this before can cosign that it's ALOT of sanding! But that's the only way to be right.
I didn't want to be like everyone else with the black and green color scheme. Since the rims were green, I was going in that direction. But blue is my color. And since the originals colors of the bike was the green, blue and white. I decided to eliminate the white. Mirrors, seat covers and wheels green. Body and tank Kawi 636 blue. Yes an OEM color.

My first paint job I did with a sparkle in the clear coat. I really didn't like it, but I wanted to ride.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Forgot to note that I went with flush mount LED turn signals, originals had to go. I received alot of compliments on the bike and colors, but was not feeling it. So I decided to strip it back down and repaint. Same color, but I wanted a flat finish. I don't know if yall know, but Sherwin-Williams sells automotive paint alot cheaper than you can find on line. I'm not gonna name that ripoff site, you already know. And they actually have motorcycle factory colors. And I likes lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I allow the sun to do its thing for 5 days to make sure the paint and clear was dry before mounting. FINALLY the paint is right. Reassembled the bike and this is the almost final product.

·
Premium Member
6,569 Posts
It looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Next up was trying to find the factory stickers, :LOL:
I can't remember which member said to me do you want stickers that the glue on them is 20 yrs old? So I started searching for some reproductions. No one would do them. I think it's called copyright infringement. But then I found A guy in Belgium who never heard that phrase. And made me some dope ass stickers. He is on eBay. There is another company that does make factory spec sticker sets, but dude's prices are ridiculous! Sorry,
I'm not gonna be able to do it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As you can see the quality of the stickers are great! They hare a good thickness to them, not cheap crap. Very nice stuff. I had to do alil doctoring, if you can tell. No R on the L3 model. Finally the look I was looking. And haven't seen anyone do there bike like this. I know that's about to change lol

As you can see I also took those shity ass Continentals off and replaced them with some Pirelli supercorsas. Get'em they are the truth! and Of course the tinted Zero Gravity screen. Now I am pleased with the way the bike is looking, now for the upgrades for you guys to do thanks to Andy's Tribute Site. If you have never visited the site, please do. You will find alot of good stuff on there. I did a few of the upgrades I found on there and WOW is all I can say.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The first upgrade I did was the rear shock. The usual choice is 97-03 shock. But you have to modify the battery box, cut move blah blah blah. This is what I did. I used a shock from a ZX12r. It is a little shorter than the original zx7 shock. So I raised the shock up as high as I could and used a smaller cotter pin. The rear is slightly lower but not by alot. The bottom mount needs to be drilled out. The stock bolt on the zx7 is larger then the ZX-12r's stock bolt. Unless you want change you suspension pivot, dog bones and all the rest. The trade off is an incredibly better shock that has completely transformed this bike. As well as full adjustability. I think it is the best unit for the bike. One thing you must remember, you have to set your compression before you install the shock because the adjuster ring will be down inside the swingarm and you will not be able to reach it to adjust after installed. I set mine to the same settings as the shock on my 12r.

·
Premium Member
6,569 Posts
What 12R do you have?

·
Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Nice 12. I have a 2000 A1.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I remember, turbo. I was thinking of rebuilding at 40k and doing a stage 1. Need to fine someone good though. Do you know anyone who rebuilds 12r fuel pumps?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Alright back to ZX-7 business. Next up is the brake caliper swap. The 4 pot calipers that come on the L3 are very good. They have to be to stop all that weight. But the 6 pots give you more feel and alil more stopping power, in theory I guess. Because it looks like the same brake pads to me, I could be wrong. (can someone confirm?)
Most people do the fork swap with 97-03, which comes with the 6 pots calipers and you get rebound dampening. Which is the win win. But I took a different route.

For those of you who don't know, Tokico calipers off of a 01-02 Suzuki 1000 (K1/K2) have the same mounting position as the L3 4 pots. No, its not a direct swap, not that easy. The 4 pots use a 10m bolts, the 6 pots uses 8m bolts. So in order to make these work you have to have reducers made. And with the reducers you have to have longer 8m bolts. On Andy's webpage he explains the necessary steps to complete the process. He even has the sleeve dimensions to have them made. I had mine made at a local machine shop to me here in Philadelphia. They were expensive to me, but it was a small job for them. Not like I was getting a hundred of them made, only 4 pieces so I understood the cost. I started thinking saving alil weight so I decided to go grade 5 titanium. Worth every penny! And it was still cheaper than a full fork swap. and the brakes are everything I expected.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Looks like the only thing left is a walk around video and a fly by so you can see and hear her for yourself. I have to make them so next week I will post.

I hope you enjoyed my build and can inspire more ZX7 builds to go on forever! Thanks for riding with me. Peace

·
Premium Member
6,569 Posts
I remember, turbo. I was thinking of rebuilding at 40k and doing a stage 1. Need to fine someone good though. Do you know anyone who rebuilds 12r fuel pumps?
I don’t know anybody that does the fuel pumps. I went with a Walbro pump for cars. I adapted it to my requirements.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post your build!
I usually use these KEMSO pumps and rebuild my own, they tend to work well for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey guys, have come to the decision to let this bike go. I really enjoy this bike, but it's time for another enthusiast to enjoy the many years left on this great bike. PM for details. asking $3,300.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts