Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there haven't been one of these post in a while. So since I am so close to finishing my bike, I have decided to take the jump and put together a thread of my build. This is my 1st attempt at anything like this so don't hit me to hard on my mistakes...lol

But thanks to all you guys who have previous build threads, that I have learned alot of info from, that gives me the courage to do this post.

Here she is done. Still have one more upgrade to do (brakes) 6 pods calipers

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Congrats on getting the build finished!! If I were you I would be riding the heck out of it right now. Take it out and enjoy it. You deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what she looked like when I bought her from a guy who left her at a shop because they had no idea how to work on this beautiful piece of art. There were so many butchered, rigged and not meant to be parts that I am ashamed to even post them. Shit this pic is embarrassing enough. So let the journey begin.

My goal was to bring it back to a custom OEM bike. With the exceptions of the after market performance parts. As you all know getting original factory parts is very hard to do. So I made my list and started my journey. No turning back.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disassembly went incredibly smooth. Who ever had the bike prior to the shop took pretty good care of bike. They mismatched many parts and left a lot of stuff off. It had an autozone fuel pump zip tied to the frame where the relays are supposed to be mounted. I decided to go piece by piece, bolt by bolt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Prior to disassembly I got the bike so it was ride-able and not looking so hideous. Needed to make sure the basics of the bike was operable. No need to go on if the core is shit

All that black and red was plasti dip. So it made my life easier. This was what was underneath.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you can see I put the Vance & Hines system on. So the carbs were re-jetted (Factory Pro Kit Ti needles 180's across) All new fuel lines, new fuel pump and filter. Mounts and screws also. She actually ran very strong, was very surprised. Still was not perfect, but ride-able.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Tearing them down to nothing and rebuilding them is the only way to do it right.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
While all this painting is going on I am looking for the body panels (oem) 2Fat helped me with the front fairing...thanks Bra!
You’re welcome

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found all my oem fairings, only took almost 2yrs and thousands of hours on eBay to get them, but I got them...lol I also replaced the wheel bearings with KOYO Kawi's oem supplier. Not balls that are made in China. I like that Japanese stuff! Also did the head bearings. The bearings that were installed looked in very good shape, but for my piece of mind I replaced them. I kept the removed one just in case for back up. If you have ever done a rebuild before you understand.

One important thing you all must never over look is your cush drive! I don't know the technicals when it comes to it, but I tell you what you will feel the difference when you replace your old one with a new one! I didn't replace the rear sprocket because it looked almost new and it was factory toothed. (If that's a word) I did replace the counter sprocket (sunstar) factory oem from Japan. Not the lightest, but from Japan. (-1 on the counter)(y) No I didn't do the 520 conversion not so much of a performance gain for the hassle to me. D.I.D chain of course, you already no my reason. Also replaced the clutch rood & seal. Rod had what looked like scratches on it which I'm sure would ruin the seal eventually. Did the transmission seal also know to be an oil leak point.

At this point I decided to start reassembly. Other things that need attention is easier done with the bike together. My opinion again

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry left out the front fork seals and fork oil change. As you can see I totally screwed up my caps using an impact socket on them. (Lesson that taught me some things are better done while the bike is together) Learn from my mistakes!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts