Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i FINALLY worked all the bugs out, and im sure there is another 5hp in it with an ignition advance.
Here is what i did
Built a fresh zx9b motor
Hand ported the head myself (took around 20hrs of Intense work)
I used dial calipers and an electronic snake caliper i made myself.
Used stock cams but had a +2 advance built in
Stock crank that was shaved to reduce weight, these cranks are pleanty strong.
Emissions removed
Stock zx7 carbs with stage one dynojet jet kit
I hand Ported the titanium D&D exhaust
BMC filter
2010 kx450f plug caps for hotter spark
Orielly's performance in-line fuel pump. (i did this because of the lack of top end power from the zx7 carbs on stock fuel pump pressure and it REALLY lets those huge jets flow with a ported head and emissions deleted)
Also tuned it on 93 octane. With my 4 line electronic manometer at warmed up condition (rode it around for 30 minutes pretty hardish)
I also eliminated the bug catcher on the ram air duct so its a straight un disturbed flow to the airbox.
Went with a 520 chain and 16/42 (3rd gear power wheelies) im a solid 6'8" 250lbs.
Dynojet dyno after 4 hrs of tuning by me made 155.7hp/96ft lbs.
BOOM!! ..|., yall who dont believe me. And btw it has the deepest nastiest idle ive heard

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Why use the small 7 carbs on the 9 motor?

Josh

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
So i FINALLY worked all the bugs out, and im sure there is another 5hp in it with an ignition advance.
Here is what i did
Built a fresh zx9b motor
Hand ported the head myself (took around 20hrs of Intense work)
I used dial calipers and an electronic snake caliper i made myself.
Used stock cams but had a +2 advance built in
Stock crank that was shaved to reduce weight, these cranks are pleanty strong.
Emissions removed
Stock zx7 carbs with stage one dynojet jet kit
I hand Ported the titanium D&D exhaust
BMC filter
2010 kx450f plug caps for hotter spark
Orielly's performance in-line fuel pump. (i did this because of the lack of top end power from the zx7 carbs on stock fuel pump pressure and it REALLY lets those huge jets flow with a ported head and emissions deleted)
Also tuned it on 93 octane. With my 4 line electronic manometer at warmed up condition (rode it around for 30 minutes pretty hardish)
I also eliminated the bug catcher on the ram air duct so its a straight un disturbed flow to the airbox.
Went with a 520 chain and 16/42 (3rd gear power wheelies) im a solid 6'8" 250lbs.
Dynojet dyno after 4 hrs of tuning by me made 155.7hp/96ft lbs.
BOOM!! ..|., yall who dont believe me. And btw it has the deepest nastiest idle ive heard
Btw i put a thinner head gasket on and head milled 5 thousandths for more comprssion

How DARE you post this without pictures or a video! That's just mean.

:lol

... Seriously though, pics please.

·
6,850 Posts
I would definitely put it on a dyno if you do try more ignition advance. The Kit ignition box actually took away advance at the top end. From what I have been told is the head is very efficient at high RPM and any added advance actually takes away from the power. The Kit box added advance which improved the throttle response at mid RPM (like adding a +4 advancer) but took it back at RPM. WOW on the 155rwhp. The race teams only made a little more than that and had tons of toys. You have a VERY efficient motor at 155 and would not imagine that ignition changes can add more power.

My target on my big bore 9 motor I am building with kit harness, kit CDI, kit cams, kit pistons, kit rods, kit clutch, lightened crank, balanced, porting, flat top valves, adjustable ignition advancer, milled head (hoping for 14.5:1 compression), Muzzy race team headers using race fuel is the 155 rwhp that you already have without my toys and fuel. I will be really jealous if we make the same power with all the crap I have bought for this motor. I do expect a really flat power curve though.

Sounds like a great ride!!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You have a VERY efficient motor at 155 and would not imagine that ignition changes can add more power.

+1 It will only change where in the powerband the meat of the power is accessible.

155hp on that motor is pretty much at the limit.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Why use the small 7 carbs on the 9 motor?

Josh
+1
All that work midaswell go atleast stock 9 carbs or fcr 9 carbs

Other then that,that is a good amount of work done and props to ya for that,but its no longer a 7,its a 9

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
**now pics please**

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
+1
All that work midaswell go atleast stock 9 carbs or fcr 9 carbs

Other then that,that is a good amount of work done and props to ya for that,but its no longer a 7,its a 9
Obviously it works pretty well considering. Maybe he found that the 7 carbs work better, or that the 9 carbs are overkill.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Obviously it works pretty well considering. Maybe he found that the 7 carbs work better, or that the 9 carbs are overkill.
Well if that was the case then i would have prob skimp out on something else in the build and used the stock 9 carbs or fcr 9's.

Kinda like moddin a Cobra or Z06 to 1000hp only to use the stock TB
None the less,155whp is great.
My 2cents

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Depending on the correction factor you can get a dyno to "say" anything too... Just sayin'

JOsh

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Depending on the correction factor you can get a dyno to "say" anything too... Just sayin'

JOsh
A valid point. Something people don't seem to realize. You would think that HP is HP though, and accuracy is the name of the game here.

I hate hearing when people have a favorite dyno and think other dynos are junk because they give them a lower number. I guess it gives those shops more customers though.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
A valid point. Something people don't seem to realize. You would think that HP is HP though, and accuracy is the name of the game here.

I hate hearing when people have a favorite dyno and think other dynos are junk because they give them a lower number. I guess it gives those shops more customers though.
Yup,basically.

Tho most shops dont play with the numbers,as most guys who bring their cars/bike etc in,know what ball park of power inscrease to expect with what mods they had done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys, pics will come as soon as i get near a computer, im out of town on my iphone, and to answer a couple ?'s here.
I work on LS engines and design intake and exhaust port matching. I noticed the zx9 (stock) exhaust has a different curvature in the primaries. So i used my titanium zx7 D&d full setup and ported the head and port matched the primaries using calipers on the zx7 headers. They seem to flow MUCH better at high revs.
Carbs: the zx9 carbs didnt work well on the high end due to mixture problems that i couldnt work out. SSSOOOo. I ported the zx7 carbs on the backside and made sure the rubber boots that hold the carbs in place we refer to "intake manifolds" on here (lmfao!!) were undisturbed and even flow and port matched to the heads intake runners i ported also.
The zx7 carbs lacked top end power so i figured out it was due to not enough vaccume and lack of fuel pressure (i was right) so i solved both problems by deleting that bullshit Kawi made for an evap/emissions system creating more synchronization between the $40 orielly fuel pump (for added pressure) and a more even Vaccume. I also forgot to mention i ended up using ALL 190 jets on all 4 carbs to equalize everything and tuned em all precisely with a $80 manometer from ebay. (spent 2hours fiddling with this)
And as far as timing i have a zx7 cdi cuz increased flow on the heads created equal pressure on all cylinders allowing another 500rpm on the redline before power fell.
Also REMEMER i had a +2 timing adance built in to the cams compensate for lack of low end torque and high flowing heads.
A tip for anyone porting heads DO NOT do it unless u have a 900+cc motor. In fact the heads are perfect flow rate for a 830ishcc build on a zx7 motor.
I HaD to port mine due to flow restriction. I have a TON of air/fuel moving through it now due to porting, vaccume, and unrestricted exhaust with hardly any backpressure.
Shoot me a message with any ?'s

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
155hp zx7 thread explanations

Ok guys, pics will come as soon as i get near a computer, im out of town on my iphone, and to answer a couple ?'s here.
I work on LS engines and design intake and exhaust port matching. I noticed the zx9 (stock) exhaust has a different curvature in the primaries. So i used my titanium zx7 D&d full setup and ported the head and port matched the primaries using calipers on the zx7 headers. They seem to flow MUCH better at high revs.
Carbs: the zx9 carbs didnt work well on the high end due to mixture problems that i couldnt work out. SSSOOOo. I ported the zx7 carbs on the backside and made sure the rubber boots that hold the carbs in place we refer to "intake manifolds" on here (lmfao!!) were undisturbed and even flow and port matched to the heads intake runners i ported also.
The zx7 carbs lacked top end power so i figured out it was due to not enough vaccume and lack of fuel pressure (i was right) so i solved both problems by deleting that bullshit Kawi made for an evap/emissions system creating more synchronization between the $40 orielly fuel pump (for added pressure) and a more even Vaccume. I also forgot to mention i ended up using ALL 190 jets on all 4 carbs to equalize everything and tuned em all precisely with a $80 manometer from ebay. (spent 2hours fiddling with this)
And as far as timing i have a zx7 cdi cuz increased flow on the heads created equal pressure on all cylinders allowing another 500rpm on the redline before power fell.
Also REMEMER i had a +2 timing adance built in to the cams compensate for lack of low end torque and high flowing heads.
A tip for anyone porting heads DO NOT do it unless u have a 900+cc motor. In fact the heads are perfect flow rate for a 830ishcc build on a zx7 motor.
I HaD to port mine due to flow restriction. I have a TON of air/fuel moving through it now due to porting, vaccume, and unrestricted exhaust with hardly any backpressure.
Shoot me a message with any ?'s

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And BTW the FLatside carbs was a thought BUT remember i built this motor and all for 1k bucks. AND from what i researched the flatsides work great for all you knee draggers, but i drag race, and fuel seemed vaporize great when it was straight up. So figured piss on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another tip for anyone shaving a crank, put a nickle or so on the motor before you hammer on it. Or it will tick and not seat with the bearing quite as smoothly and will prolly tick for about 500 miles..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Carbs:
The zx7 carbs lacked top end power so i figured out it was due to not enough vaccume and lack of fuel pressure (i was right) so i solved both problems by deleting that bullshit Kawi made for an evap/emissions system creating more synchronization between the $40 orielly fuel pump (for added pressure) and a more even Vaccume.

155 rwhp? I'm afraid to say that you're not going to get away with that kind of BS. Your statement about fuel pump pressure being increased has nothing to do with how a motor runs on a carb'd bike. The stock fuel pump is more than up to the job of filling the carb bowls at redline for as long as you hold the throttle WO.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Another point of BS... Every engine builder knows an engine produces almost NO vacuum at WOT.

Josh

1 - 20 of 107 Posts