Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer picked up from my house today to diagnose a engine knocking.
After a few revs the engine siezed up.. .:banghead
This is the second time i had an engine issue the first being a 200 mi. for a stalling / low rpm issue.
I was wondering if anyone else had an issue where there new bike died on them and what was the result?
Does the lemon law cover me after a dead engine on a brand new bike?.. it only has 1200 mi. on it..
Kawi owes me something for this.. they should comp me a months pay for the lost days of riding (now 3weeks with these occurences)

Thoughts/ Helpful info appreciated

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats sucks man. Are you following the break-in procedures?? Waiting 3-4 minutes for the bike to warm up before driving?? No revving above 4k from 0 to 500 miles and no revving above 6K from 500 to 1000?? Normal oil changes?? No revving while in neutral?? Did you take it to the dealer at 600 miles?? Just curious... I am in the process of breaking in my zx-10r as we speak and I am really being easy on her till I get at least 1000 miles on the clock. It mentioned in my manual that it is possible to seize the engine if you are not allowing proper warm up time for the oil to circulate before driving the bike which is just a common practice no matter what you drive, bike or automobile. I am not saying your doing any of these, I am just as concerned as you are considering I have a new bike as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
wow, kinda of glad i got my 06 636 instead of waitin for the 07 6r now after hearin all these troubles with the 07
yeah its really sad on so my different levels. It seems (from everything I read so far) breaking it in hard or by the book doesn't make much difference. If your kawi top end was assembled w/weak top end parts your in trouble. The trick is knowing if yours is a dud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how can you tell when your engine is knocking...explain in more details please.
I pretty much baby this thing.. I'm a first time rider and my routine is to warm it up, it always has had pleanty of time.. I also had my 600 mi. service done on time and feed it the good gas. I am maybe too gentle with it at times.. Haha.
The bike was s#!t from day 1.. i obviously bought a defective product and both incidents could have resulted in a serious or fatal injury.
Now i need Kawi to help me out.. Give me something for all the hard ship i have had in result of choosing this brand over some of the others i considered.

·
Registered
157 Posts
this is really sad i hope you all find some resolution to this what seems like a growing problem

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been reading all these threads with "ticking" issues and it seem to me that all the lemons or at least most of them are from the states.
I wonder if a series of bikes with the faulty top ends have been shipped there!!

It would be a good idea to consult a lawyer as a group regarding these issues!
No??

Maybe if someone would press the issue a little harder with the warranty department it wouldn't take weeks to get a replacement or fix!

Just trowing it out there!

Ps: my 07 6r had a bit of a ticking but I think it was just walves. I got 4k on it now and I've twisted the throttle a couple of times on the green sucker.
Runs like a dream

·
Registered
234 Posts
When did you get your bike and what are the last 6 or so numbers of your VIN? (We can tell where in the production you were based on that).

·
Registered
494 Posts
When he got the bike is irrelevant, but the serial number can give us an idea of what s/n# range was affected by the problem. Kawi hasn't released anything internally saying that certain units have this problem. But it's possible that Kawi Canada, and Kawi USA are independant of each other in that regard.

·
Registered
234 Posts
When he got the bike is irrelevant, but the serial number can give us an idea of what s/n# range was affected by the problem. Kawi hasn't released anything internally saying that certain units have this problem. But it's possible that Kawi Canada, and Kawi USA are independant of each other in that regard.
I just wanted to know when to know...

It would be nice if everyone who's having the issue with ticking or whatever could post their last 6, be interesting to see if there's any correlation.

Is everyone's engine number 200 higher than their VIN (last 6 of each)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:
Dealer contacted me today... the engine is well... Blown to bits..
apparently a valve fell out and got caught up in the piston and ripped that up and damaged everything inside the crank case; the valves, the cams all of it trashed..
As if that weren't bad enough.. Over 70% of the parts are on back order... AHHHHH!!... i cannot win here.:angry
so my next step is to call Kawie and figure out what they can do for me.

The only good thing about the whole situation is that the John (Brockton Cycle Service manager) has been phenomenal in dealing w/ my issue and very quick to offer me up info when it becomes available to him.

I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome here.
Wish me luck...:eek:hno

·
Registered
275 Posts
UPDATE:
apparently a valve fell out and got caught up in the piston and ripped that up and damaged everything inside the crank case; the valves, the cams all of it trashed..
As if that weren't bad enough.. Over 70% of the parts are on back order... AHHHHH!!... i cannot win here.:angry

The only good thing about the whole situation is that the John (Brockton Cycle Service manager) has been phenomenal in dealing w/ my issue and very quick to offer me up info when it becomes available to him.

that sounds like the ticking problem alright. It is related to the valve tapits wearing down and creating excessive valve clearance, thus engine explodes. Mine has been at the dealer for 2 weeks, mine never seized but im hoping they see the tapits are worn down and replace them before they cause the engine to explode

·
Registered
494 Posts
UPDATE:

Go to Kawasaki's American site, and start calling the numbers on there. If yuo complain loud (but don't be rude or agressive), and often then you'll likely end up with someone who can find parts around the back orders.

Your dealer is basically stuck as to how he can get parts, but Kawi America can probably get parts a lot faster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly what i plan on doing.. Hope that they can fix it up fast. the season is ending soon.... well, i still have the Fall rides left.... WOOT!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Exactly what i plan on doing.. Hope that they can fix it up fast. the season is ending soon.... well, i still have the Fall rides left.... WOOT!!
We had a similar problem last week. Headgasket for VN900 is on backorder everywhere. And there is no aftermarket for them yet. Couldn't get any until end of Sept. We tried calling around to all the Kawi dealers in the area, checked with all our suppliers... but couldn't get a damn thing.

Customer called Kawi Canada and Kawi Canada called us to let us know that we'd be getting the back ordered parts right away. They should have showed up today.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ive had enough dealing with recalls if my cams go bad im gonna set it on fire.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts