Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background:

I bought the bike new in 2003. In June of 2006 it was stolen from me with only about 7K miles on it. It was recovered in Miami in October of 2006 after the perp wrecked it. It was on a police hold until 2009. Sat in an impound lot in the Miami sun wasting away. :( I got it back in 09, but didn't have the time or money to work on it. At the end of last year I finally started to try and get it back on the road. It was mostly just front-end and plastic damage. After several hundred dollars in new parts and a little elbow grease she was ready to fire off. It had set up for nearly 5 years, but it started and ran like it never shut off. I couldn't believe how well it ran and how it sounded exactly like it did before it was stolen.

So... I'd been driving it back and forth to work and it was running like a watch. The only thing that was nagging me was that I never put on a new exhaust gasket. I could hear the mid-pipe rattling around on the header, so I decided to quick-fix it instead of waiting on a part I had to order. I took heat tape and wrapped it thickly around the header, then clamped the mid-pipe down over it. No more ratlling - problem solved. It continued to run fine, but after every ride I could smell the adhesive that had burned from the heat. Eventually, the adhesive burned completely away, the thickness had reduced, and the entire "gasket" slid up into the midpipe. Soon after that happened the bike began to have issues. It began as a starting issue. It wouldn't start right away and had to be turned over repeatedly to get it to crank. Then it got to where it was hard to start, but once it did you couldn't give it any gas or it would stall. It had to warm up for 15min before it would allow you to turn the throttle and run properly. I ordered the gasket, pulled the old tape out, and reinstalled everything hoping that maybe the tape had just blocked the exhaust a little bit. This did not solve the problem. Once I got it running and warmed up I took it out for a spin. Once it reached 9-10K RPM it began to run choppy. Under that threshhold it was fine. Finally, on the last time that I rode the bike (to move from old residence to new) I thought I might not make it. It ran choppy across the board. If you gave it any amount of throttle it began to lose power. It would not maintain power at any point in the RPM range. I just took it apart to see if I could find an issue, but I don't even know where to start. Does this sound like it is related to the heat tape? Or does anyone out there have another explanation? I can't even get it to start properly now.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts