Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought a Muzzys cooling fan for my 14 last year and finally got around to installing it last night. All I can say is that the insructions suck. They were pretty detailed but completely wrong. They say you have to drain the radiator and remove it to install the fan.

All you have to do is remove the left side fairings and take the 3 bolts that hold the fan assembly in and unplug it. You do need a fairly long extention to get to the inner most bolt but it is do-able. Then you tilt it slightly and it comes out.

I waited til I had other stuff to put on because I thought it would be a huge deal. Not the case at all. So far, so good on the temps.

Also installed a swingarm mount lisc plate bracket, lighted plate frame and a k&n. Gonna be doing a power commander soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats the metal blade that Muzzys offers. The temps in the Summertime reach 100ish here and the stop and go traffic get the bike really hot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I was in Monument Oregon last year, it was 107 degrees for most of the riding. I never had overheating issues. The engine went to 1 bar below max when slowly moving but never any overheating. I have the stock fan blade.

My lower legs felt like they were in a crock pot and slowly cooking, from the upper ankle down.

Thanks goodness I can move my feet out of that heat wave coming off the engine at times.

I have thought of making some deflectors that bolt up to the lower fairings and direct the heat off my feet. Maybe I need to do that.

PS: Its 96 degrees in Angles Camp CA where I am heading in 2 weeks....

·
Registered
937 Posts
I was in Monument Oregon last year, it was 107 degrees for most of the riding. I never had overheating issues. The engine went to 1 bar below max when slowly moving but never any overheating. I have the stock fan blade.. . .snip>
Same thing, slow traffic, never over heated but 1 bar below the top.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you notice any big difference in the cooling temps with the muzzy. i have though about picking the muzzy fan blade up but was not sure if it was even worth it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Muzzy fan blade helped but didn't make an appreciable difference in the furnace at the lower legs. Didn't notice a REAL difference until the Brocks full system and the 2nd fan install, but both were done too close together to tell which one really made the difference. But my legs no longer cook in ANY temps, whether in high traffic or moving.

·
27,825 Posts
Well now, we used to have a member here known as IXLR8, and he had 4 cooling fans on his 14. When the fans came on he could leave the bike in neutral and still go 35 miles per hour:scared

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
I rode to Little Rock recently when it was 110F. The bike was fully loaded and as long as traffic kept moving, the temp gauge didn't go to the top. Even when traffic slowed to a crawl, there was still no boil-over and the temp came down as soon as I got moving.

Wearing mesh pants and jacket, my shins got so hot, it felt like a sunburn. My breath inside a closed helmet was cooler than leaving the shield up and letting the outside air flow in.

If your stock fan blade warps from the heat, a Muzzy metal blade is worth the $ as a replacement. Other than that, it's just a feel-good mod. I thought about adding a second fan, but it hasn't proved necessary. Replacing the regular coolant with Engine Ice seems to have dropped running temps slightly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just ordered the Muzzy fan blades for my 2012 ZX14R. My bike has two fans (stock) My bike doesn't run too hot, but since it somewhat worked with my 2011 ZX14, I figured it has to work a lot better for a bike which has two fans. I'm also going to convert to engine ice. I'm going to do the work all together. I remember the amount of air flow the muzzy fan produced compared to the stock plastic fan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade, or start a anti muzzy band.

But what I have found through the ZRX and other communities is that the muzzy fans are crap and can be quite dangerous with putting a blade though your radiator, or just bending and rubbing.

So it's just a thought to keep in mind, it's what changed my mind on ordering one for the zrx.

There are photos floating around of blades in radiators too.

If you're that worried about over heating you may be better off looking at a twin fan setup.

Anyway Muzzy aint all that GREEN anymore now are they.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just removed both fans on my 2012 ZX14R. Im installing the muzzy aluminum dual fan blades, but...................stupid thing doesn't fit!!. No matter which way I try to install the fan blades, the rivets on the muzzy fan blades hit against a plate on the cooling fan motor. If I tighten it, the muzzy fan rivets press against a plate on the stock fan motor. I'm pissed! :banghead

I had a 2011 ZX14 and the muzzy fan blade fit perfectly.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
203 Posts
False alarm. I feel like an idiot. There was a peice of scotch tape over the fan blade center hole for the fan motor stud. Well, sticking to the tape was an aluminum washer that acts like a spacer for the fan.

Im also switching over to engine ice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
203 Posts
let us know if it really works ? is your engine running cooler?
I havent ridden my bike since the upgrade. I assume the aluminum fan blades will move more hot air faster. I guess the idea is so the engine will cool faster and the fan wont stay on too long. I will know by sunday.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
16,062 Posts
I'd like to hear everyone's logic,
as to why they think their engine's operating temp needs to be lower than what the factory cooling system design, allows it to reach.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
as to why they think their engine's operating temp needs to be lower than what the factory cooling system design, allows it to reach.
They actually figured out some time in the 60's that 180 degrees was optimum for performance , any colder and it sludged up the oil . The problem was, for emissions 190 to 210 degrees was better. The real problem with this is the ecm is calibrated for the higher temp so even if you found a 180 degree thermostat that fit the bike probably wouldn't run right :angry

·
Registered
203 Posts
I installed a muzzy fan on my 2011 ZX14. That bike needed every degree of cooling. As for my 2012 ZX14R. Piece of mind for my 2012 14R. I was able to get my 2011 to run a little cooler by using engine ice and the muzzy aluminum fan, thought I would do the same with my 2012 14R.

I have already noticed while idling my bike in my garage with absolutely no air flow, I could feel the cooling fans would flow more air than before. Plus, the cooling fans didn't stay on as long. The temp gauge dropped a little quicker than normal.

I spent $70 on the fan blades and $44 on two 1/2 gallons of engine ice coolant. So for about $115, it's a cheap upgrade.

HRCH

·
16,062 Posts
Your recommended engine oil is also designed to run at a specific viscosity at operating temp. (Yes, it is a machine and all individual functions work in harmony and at specified parameters. Changing one, affects all others).
It needs to be at that viscosity, to flow/lubricate effectively.
It's a machine, not a person. It doesn't "feel" better when you cool it off,......YOU "feel" better.
When your engine is cold (cold start-up), the oil is like honey. Oil pressure is high, flow sucks. Bad for lubricating, great for wearing parts out.
Why you would want to keep your engine as cold as possible and not let the oil get to operating temp/desired viscosity,.......well I guess it just means you didn't know any better and just had some idea in your head that you were helping your engine with cooling overkill.
Well, now ya know. Leave it alone and let get hot. The factory coolant system will not allow it to over heat, unless it malfunctions.
If using engine ice and 8 metal fans makes you "feel" better.....
whatever, have at it.
Just know that it's not too hot out for your bike, it's too hot out for you.
A vehicle will always reach it's operating temp, whether you are in Alaska in winter, or Florida in summer. And your cooling system will always kick on and prevent it from getting passed a certain temp, no matter where you are.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts