Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled across this forum. Looks good, great topics.

I just purchased my 3rd bike, the 2007 ZX6r (previously i had an '04 500 ninja, and an '05 z750S). It's amazing. We call it the Darth Vader of Motorcycles.

I live in Pennsylvania, and will be moving to Seattle for a month of trade school, then down to Southern California for work. Of course, I'll be doing this all on my bike! I got a great baggage set up, and this is my version of "walk the earth" like Samuel L. Jackson says in Pulp Fiction. I'll have 14 days from when I leave to get to Seattle for school, and see the sites on the way.

The trip is I-80 to I-90 (Penn, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington), landing me in Seattle.

Any advise? This is my first big trip. I don't really know anyone along the way, and I'll be sleeping in parks and benches most likely. Thinking about tent and sleeping bag of course.

The tires only get 4,000 miles right? so, i'm probably going to have to get new tires somewhere near Wisconsin? How about the breaks? What kind of life expectancy should I prepare for on those?

I'll be stopping at random martial art school along the way, see if they'll let me interview them for a web-series i've been planning. Hit the Badlands and Yellowstone. If anyone else has ideas, that'd be awesome.

I guess this introduction to the forum is long winded enough as it is. Thanks admins for running such a solid forum! I'll have a month to learn about my bike through you guys!

Peace Gods!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man you are crazy if you are going to do that on a zx-6r, your wrists will fall off, lol. hope you have fun though, gl.
i bought it specifically because i wanted to take this trip!
i haven't noticed tired wrists yet while riding. i'm hoping to do 2 hours stretches to reduce fatigue.

·
Registered
683 Posts
When do you plan on making this trip? I'm in Chicago and you'll be coming right through here. I think your tires will make it all the way. You're starting on new ones, I doubt you'll need to replace them. I'm sure the brakes will make it. You'll probably ride for hours at a time without even touching them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow, and i thought i was nuts for wanting to take the 1400mile trip to FL this summer. I'll tell you what, me personally, my wrists can't stand to ride for more then about an hour straight on the highway. You could buy one of those throttle helpers, not sure what they are called, but they make it easier on your wrist. or shoot, convert it to a thumb throttle like on a quad, lol.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
today i took an hour and a half straight ride, half highway, rest country roads (averaging 75mph). wrists are a bit numb compared to when i had the z750S, but overall alright.

i tested out using the tank bag as a pillow. it felt really awkward. the guy at the shop recommended that for the long trip, but it makes me feel like i have less control over the bike's controls when i'm resting my upper body on it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
mind taking pics along the way please? it'd be cool if riders from each state can meet you up somewhere and then ride with you for a certain distance then you're on to the next state with their riders and so forth.

too bad you're not coming to sac, cali.

and what about oil change? have you done that already?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Great Experience

IncludingTheStars

How far is the route you're planning to take from Pennsylvania to Seattle?

Have a look at this thread by Beans,
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157&highlight=trip+chicago
he did a long trip on his 10R last Summer, so probably useful info on preparation. I'm sure he'll help answer any questions you might have if you PM him.

Pix of Beans starting the trip
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221

If your wrists are going numb it may be because you are gripping the bars too tight, if so try to relax your grip, also try to support your upper body with your abs to take some weight of the bars or lean your left elbow on the tank/bag to take some weight off if you have a long straight.

As far as doing the trip on a 6R is concerned, I can't see a problem. I did long trips on old Brit bikes when I was a lot younger with very few major problems, mostly bits falling off :smile so you shouldn't have any worries with a modern bike. Just make sure everything is adjusted right & lubed & serviced before you start.

Have you thought about stopping at Youth Hostels on the way, not sure how they would fit in with your trip?

Anyway, good luck with it & keep us posted on preparations.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would suggest taking I-80 to I-76 to I-70, then Utah 6 north to I-15, then Utah 89 which will take you thru Jackson WY and enter Yellowstone from the south entrance. I would exit Yellowstone at the West entrance and then continue on 287 west to I-15. head north and take I-90 west to Montana 1, then north on 1 to 38. North on 38 to 12. West on 12 to 730 continue west to I-82,turn north and cross the river, then turn west onto 14 on the Washington side of the river. Continue west to Carson WA and then head north on Wind River Road. Keep going toward Mt. St Helens. At Randle turn west back onto hi-way 12 and follow it to I-5. Turn north and soon you will be in the Rainy city.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. tons of information since I last check. thanks everyone for the support.

SilverSurfer, I'm not very good at busting out the camera when i'm enjoying a moment, but i will be video blogging alot of the trip, for use in my little documentary series i'm doing on my training through the trip. I'll definitely post the picts/vids links here though when i get computer access on the west coast (either seattle or cali).
-- you mentioned Sac, CA..? one of the people i'll be bumming housing off of is in Sacramento actually. it would be cool to meet up with riders along the way, but i'll be the first to admit i'm not very good at it still, even after these past few years of riding. i've been working on "raising the bar" on my riding agression, but when it comes to country roads, and blind bends, i'm still a nube. haha. always willing to take lessons though to those who enjoy that kinda thing.
--i'm at 620 miles on the bike, getting an oil change wednesday (along with a new windshield), going to syracuse and back (4.5 horus each way in a car) on the bike, then a quick check up before i go (26 days and counting).

Shortcircuit, right now, my route is pretty simple, i-80 to i-90 with a handful of kung fu schools along the way. it's mapquested at 46 hours with 25 minutes; 2,962.83 miles. of course, there will probably be small driving additions here or there.

i'm giving myself 14 days, and at this amount of hours, i can make the trip in about 7 days at 6.5 hours a day. so, lots of time to stop and see the sites and schools, and i'll be driving/sleeping in shifts instead of long single stretches.

syracuse will be my test at wrists issues. my 4 hour trips to dc and baltimore have never given me wrist issues though. if i start losing parts, i'll freak out. haha. i'm gathering the list of kawi dealers along the way for service about midway, or so, just as a check up and see where my tires(etc) are at.

as for hostels, i'm poor. haha. soooo, side of the road, camp sites, hostels, park benches, trucker lodgings, friends, whatever works. i'm winging that stuff. i'll probably grab up one of those super-micro-rollup sleeping bags.

Wow... that whole Beans thing is really energizing. I never thought about jamming and radar... hrm... i'll hit the shop tomorrow and see what they say on that one. sending ahead for tires is great. at this point, they say i can make it on these, but i'm cutting it close. especially with my trip to syracuse beforehand. but that's awesome. thanks for the link.

Ozzy, that's awesome. you figured that all out? haha. i gotta go mapquest that and see how it looks. anything beats my basic I-80 --> I-90 route. the real question is getting to Seattle by the 4th of June. I'll definitely check out your route set up and see. I hear it's still cold up north (at night atleast), so this may keep me a bit more into safe outdoor sleeping weather. Most appreciated.

Should I start slapping up pictures then? I already have my bag set up figured out, it's pretty hardcore-touringesque. One of the guys who rides out of my local shop just took a trip south across to cali, but in the winter, and i've been catching him randomly to talk trip tactics. he had a much nicer financial situation though-- hotels every night, partying, etc..

Thanks everyone for the support. I'll definitely do my best to keep posting my updates and questions, if nobody minds!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dont plan on warm weaather on the route I suggested, it stays in the mountains as much as possible. If you have never been out west you will really enjoy this route once you get to Denver area. The rest of the way is Rockie Mtns , Snake and Columbia rivers, and an active volcano thrown in.. It is an easy 10 day ride.

·
Registered
102 Posts
enjoy your trip and ride safe...by the way dont know if anyone has mentioned this and maybe i just missed it but thats a lot of miles, did you have your first service yet? Probably want to see if you can have that done before you set out. anyway good luck to you!

·
Registered
449 Posts
thats sweet, you two can hold each others hand , and make out!:gay
Roll~ I'm in MN just 5 miles south from 94 East, depending on your route. If you head northern MN I know people in the Duluth,Superior area. You should stop at public libraries along the way and keep us posted to helpset up your next crashout/meal/shower stop. kinda point to point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
enjoy your trip and ride safe...by the way dont know if anyone has mentioned this and maybe i just missed it but thats a lot of miles, did you have your first service yet? Probably want to see if you can have that done before you set out. anyway good luck to you!
i'm getting my first check up Wednesday morning. also putting on my new windscreen. oh yeah, black chrome!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's my luggage set up!

Tank bag, sport saddlebags, and a trunk bag. in the picts, i also attached my sleeping bag to the one side, and my backpack over top, incase i decide not to wear it.

it's tough strapping it down w/ my fender eliminator kit (not in the pictures, installed since then), but i really can't figure out any way to reduce my load really.

one saddle bag has my bike maintenance supplies, the other my bath supplies, the backpack is my training gear, the trunk bag my clothes, video camera, single book, single dvd, and that's about it. the tank bag has my maps, water pack, gloves, general riding a accessories.

it's a sloppy set up in the picture, but i'm sure after a few mounts and dismounts, i'lll establish a much cleaner setup.

thoughts?!! go for it. i need all the help i can get! haha.

Leaving in 5 days!

·
Registered
317 Posts
with the bags hiding some of the curves of the bike..mainly the back, it's kinda looking like a ZX14. and i guess it's a good thing that your bike is black, blends with the bags...but i know the first thing i see if i were to be someone i would see the bags first...haha.

wonder how dirty the bike will look at the end of the journey...

anyway...are you nervous dude?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
not nervous. i'm crazy excitied.

i am kinda stressed about how big the load of stuff is though... i wish i could reduce it some how.... it's a mountain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts