Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slow day here. Thought I’d see who else has similar experiences.

What pleasure receptacle is responsible for making motorcyclists say things that brag themselves up? I don’t understand. People will accept you no matter what, whether you’re a good or bad rider, yet I’m constantly running into riders with this affliction. And let me preface by saying that I think my skills are fairly good, probably B Group, good enough that I’ll be replacing a set of knee pucks, but that doesn’t mean I’m fast, that just means I’m not slow in corners.

One of my long time riding buddies is one of these big talkers. I finally had enough of his BS stories and called him on the carpet. Don’t know if he’s ashamed or now hates me, but we don’t talk casually like when I just accepted the story telling.

Went for a ride the other day where we had a new guy tag along. Before meeting up with him, I was told he was a former AFM racer who liked old-school crotch rockets. I felt compelled to ask where I should place myself in our ride group, so as not to interfere with Mr. AFM. And personally, if I’m out front I’d rather not have an unknown T-bone me, in case he gets the impression that we’re all racing, when in fact we’re not racing. But anyways...

First impression was seeing him pull in between me and another riding buddy of mine. Okay, so he’s establishing himself as a leader or up there with the leaders. He’s wearing blue jeans and a sweatshirt over his leathers. Odd, but okay. We stop miles ahead to chat a little and the story telling begins.

“Oh yeah, I rode on this route ten years ago and I’ve probably ridden it 400 times. We were tearing it up this one time, doing like 125 MPH!” I’m thinking, okay maybe on the straights I could see that, but you’d have to be really pushing pace. Doing that on this route, would be, one mistake and you're dead. And look, his tires are almost bald! Really? You’re going to push 125 MPH on cords. Damn, you must really be good or you’re not and you’re really full of shit!

Then we take off to start on this route, my buddy is up front again with Mr. AFM in between us. I follow AFM into the first corner and I can tell already he’s about a solid C Group rider. He dogs the second corner entry so I pass him going up the hill. Two turns later he’s falling back and a mile farther and he’s nowhere in sight. Damn, and I’m conservatively topping out at 75 MPH on the straights between corners. I mean, we’re not trying to attract unwanted attention, but if you say you did this route at 125 MPH and I’m owning you doing 75 MPH, then you really are full of shit.

Later in that same ride we had stopped to wait for AFM. We take off in front of him as he approaches and we’re coming up on a series of 25 MPH corners and SERIOUSLY, he passes me on the straight going into the first corner. Asshole! You've been dragging this train all day and you pass a faster rider before a series of corners??? After ruining my fun for several miles and my other buddy now about ½ mile ahead of us, I blow past him in a safe section. Same story again. A couple turns and he’s not even behind as far as the eye can see. He’s gone.

125 MPH! My ass!

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
Maybe he was riding slow cuz his tires were bald? :dunno

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
That's a funny story , i haven't hung around any braggerts for quite a while (I'm too old for that crap any way). When i was younger my friends would brag about other people or if i was faster than them , they would brag about me (lol) . The bad thing is if someone brags about you , you feel obligated to prove a point and this is where the trouble begins . Pretty soon you have people gunning for you when you don't really have the skill to do the things you are trying to do. I ride for myself now , there is definitely a point that i will not go beyond on the street and if i ride with people who i don't think have any skill i will purposely ride slow to keep them out of trouble and to not have any bragging going on. I have really enjoyed the rides I've been on lately because of the maturity level of the other riders (no squids).

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Usually I pull back when riding. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. When I go on rides it's for fun.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had a guy tell me he hit a deer at 120 mph and split it clean in half. Kept it up and walked away unscathed. Whatcha think bs or truth?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Slow day here. Thought I’d see who else has similar experiences.

What pleasure receptacle is responsible for making motorcyclists say things that brag themselves up? I don’t understand. People will accept you no matter what, whether you’re a good or bad rider, yet I’m constantly running into riders with this affliction. And let me preface by saying that I think my skills are fairly good, probably B Group, good enough that I’ll be replacing a set of knee pucks, but that doesn’t mean I’m fast, that just means I’m not slow in corners.

One of my long time riding buddies is one of these big talkers. I finally had enough of his BS stories and called him on the carpet. Don’t know if he’s ashamed or now hates me, but we don’t talk casually like when I just accepted the story telling.

Went for a ride the other day where we had a new guy tag along. Before meeting up with him, I was told he was a former AFM racer who liked old-school crotch rockets. I felt compelled to ask where I should place myself in our ride group, so as not to interfere with Mr. AFM. And personally, if I’m out front I’d rather not have an unknown T-bone me, in case he gets the impression that we’re all racing, when in fact we’re not racing. But anyways...

First impression was seeing him pull in between me and another riding buddy of mine. Okay, so he’s establishing himself as a leader or up there with the leaders. He’s wearing blue jeans and a sweatshirt over his leathers. Odd, but okay. We stop miles ahead to chat a little and the story telling begins.

“Oh yeah, I rode on this route ten years ago and I’ve probably ridden it 400 times. We were tearing it up this one time, doing like 125 MPH!” I’m thinking, okay maybe on the straights I could see that, but you’d have to be really pushing pace. Doing that on this route, would be, one mistake and you're dead. And look, his tires are almost bald! Really? You’re going to push 125 MPH on cords. Damn, you must really be good or you’re not and you’re really full of shit!

Then we take off to start on this route, my buddy is up front again with Mr. AFM in between us. I follow AFM into the first corner and I can tell already he’s about a solid C Group rider. He dogs the second corner entry so I pass him going up the hill. Two turns later he’s falling back and a mile farther and he’s nowhere in sight. Damn, and I’m conservatively topping out at 75 MPH on the straights between corners. I mean, we’re not trying to attract unwanted attention, but if you say you did this route at 125 MPH and I’m owning you doing 75 MPH, then you really are full of shit.

Later in that same ride we had stopped to wait for AFM. We take off in front of him as he approaches and we’re coming up on a series of 25 MPH corners and SERIOUSLY, he passes me on the straight going into the first corner. Asshole! You've been dragging this train all day and you pass a faster rider before a series of corners??? After ruining my fun for several miles and my other buddy now about ½ mile ahead of us, I blow past him in a safe section. Same story again. A couple turns and he’s not even behind as far as the eye can see. He’s gone.

125 MPH! My ass!
This is exactly why I don't ride with anyone except close friends. At least not in a spirited way. I'll ride the interstate with anyone, but I don't care to have someone else wreck me trying to show off their "abilities".

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I always give extra distance when riding with someone unknown. I watch how they brake and corner. after a few turns I'll either close up the distance a little or pass. Course I have been dropped before too. Familiarity with the road is the only way to go fast without riding over one's head.

If I don't know the road you'll find me towards the back of the group. If I know the road I usually pick the 3rd spot. If I know the leader well, I might take 2nd spot. I encourage faster riders to pass. If I can hear them right behind me or i happen to catch a glimpse in the mirrors, I'lll slow down on the next straight section.

I hate it when I see brake lights mid-corner for no particular reason. Exaggerated hanging off just to try and drag knee is kind of funny to watch. I've come across only a couple riders who like to brag. It's a red flag for me. I tend to stay away from these guys.

We always meet at a gas station or convenience store at the ride start point. There's plenty of time to mingle and look at the other rider's bikes. You can tell a lot about a rider by the cleanliness of the bike and the tire wear. Go fast parts really don't mean much as far as rider skill. Some of the top riders in the groups I ride with have very few mods. Strange how these riders run OEM exhausts. These hot shoes are usually clad in one-piece leathers too.

I've found many of the best riders don't say anything about skills. They tend to talk more about other stuff.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
That's a funny story , i haven't hung around any braggerts for quite a while (I'm too old for that crap any way). When i was younger my friends would brag about other people or if i was faster than them , they would brag about me (lol) . The bad thing is if someone brags about you , you feel obligated to prove a point and this is where the trouble begins . Pretty soon you have people gunning for you when you don't really have the skill to do the things you are trying to do. I ride for myself now , there is definitely a point that i will not go beyond on the street and if i ride with people who i don't think have any skill i will purposely ride slow to keep them out of trouble and to not have any bragging going on. I have really enjoyed the rides I've been on lately because of the maturity level of the other riders (no squids).
and my wife appreciates that :lol

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
This happens to me every Thursday. My buddies want to all race down the freeway and brag about how much faster their six is (when they barely pull away) opposed to starting from a stop or racing the corners. Basically they like to perform any race that doesn't involve skill
:angry

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of racing is on bikes and public roads, mainly because I fail to see what it proves. Not without exception mind you, but it just seems like 90% of the time people are "street racing" on bikes, it's because they're all dumb shits who are all equally incompetent and the "winner" is whoever gets luckiest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is an amusing story for sure man, but I should point out that you open your passage explaining how it's all good & none of it matters, & then go on to talk about yourself for 300 words.

The medium is the message bro, less is more ;-)

Keep the shiny side up!
Pipes

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of racing is on bikes and public roads, mainly because I fail to see what it proves. Not without exception mind you, but it just seems like 90% of the time people are "street racing" on bikes, it's because they're all dumb shits who are all equally incompetent and the "winner" is whoever gets luckiest.
Not all of us have the luxury of tracks in our area. Ya it's not the smartest thing to do, but neither is riding a bike. We take a lot of caution when out riding a little harder than usual. Like today, my usual place to goof off was empty. That's why I try to ride during church hours early on Sundays.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My riding buddy rides a Harley, so I feel like a frigging expert! Really though, I have a lot more seat time on a Goldwing than I do on a Ninja. I smile a lot more on this bike. I won't ever ride to the point I'm pushing the bikes abilities, but that's okay. I may try to keep up with some of you guys but I know when to let you go. I still have fun!

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
There is always someone faster than you and there is no prize for first or second place. Just ride so you are having fun and can get your bike home with you riding it, in the same condition it left the house.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts