Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone, I'm looking to do a major modification to my 03 636, I'm looking to install a zx10 motor onto that frame and hoping if anyone has ever heard of this being done. If so, please reply and let me know the results of what year model of the motor that will fit with the least amount of modifications..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sell it and buy a zx10? It would be a lot less headaches and more than likely a better bike seeing as it was engineered to take that engine.

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
Chwebby i9s correct. Your 636 chassis was not designed to cope with the ZX-10's power. Even if you do succeed in shoehorning a 10 motor into a 6 frame, it'll likely wind up like a spring and spit you off the first time you try anything cute.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Can't be any more power than all those people with nitrous on their 6's, I never hear anything about them having problems from the frame not being able to take it.

·
16,062 Posts
if anyone has ever heard of this being done.
I've never heard of anyone doing it.
My guess as to why: The ZX10 is roughly the same size, weight and ergos.
It's makes more sense to just get a ZX10.
The 6 won't be any lighter or handle any better or brake any better or be any faster,.....or anything better.
By the time you get done upgrading everything to handle the extra power and do all the mods necessary to make it fit, you will basically have a ZX10 anyway and coulda just went out and bought one with all the money you just wasted and saved yourself a ton of work (which may or may not have been a waste of time also, depending on your skill as a fabricator, mechanic and engineer).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never heard of anyone doing it.
My guess as to why: The ZX10 is roughly the same size, weight and ergos.
It's makes more sense to just get a ZX10.
The 6 won't be any lighter or handle any better or brake any better or be any faster,.....or anything better.
By the time you get done upgrading everything to handle the extra power and do all the mods necessary to make it fit, you will basically have a ZX10 anyway and coulda just went out and bought one with all the money you just wasted and saved yourself a ton of work (which may or may not have been a waste of time also, depending on your skill as a fabricator, mechanic and engineer).
Exactly. Way to many headaches and time involved for something that could be done in a day with a trade in. Plus, the engineers at Kawasaki aren't dumb people. Everything is built to coincide with each other. If the frame, suspension ect for the zx6r was made to also handle the engine of the 10, they would be identical to save them millions of dollars. But they are not and I'd assume its for good reason. The whole dynamics of the bike would be changed, and more then likely, not for the better.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
What a helpful place this has turned into since I've been gone. Don't answer the question, instead tell him why he's a moron for wanting to do what he's asking about in the first place. What a boring bunch of close minded mother fuckers you guys are.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
If only it were so easy. Well, in my case. I was looking into it for awhile, turned out as similar as they were it was still more trouble than it's worth. Who knows why this guy wants to do it.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Exactly. I already had a 10R when I started thinking about it, so it sure wasn't literbike envy or any kind of budget build dreaming.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I dont thin it would be as much trouble as modifyin a frame, to fit the bigger/wider motor then you have to worry about the intake issue you will loose the ram air effect from the airbox more than likely, and lining up the sprockets will be kind of a pain too, imo not worth the trouble and it still be easier to figure out the the fairing swap :dunno

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
I was planning to put the '05 10R drivetrain in an '05 ZX6R. I found a 6 with a trashed head and broke tranny to spec out, and it actually would have been pretty easy. The engine is only about an inch wider. The fairing cutouts didn't line up right where they'd need to, but there was plenty of flex to push them out with longer perches in the middle. I would have had to machine up some adaptor plates to mount the engine, fab up a new intake tube, and transfer over the whole 10R harness and instrument cluster. Really no big deal. The bike was the wrong color though, and it sold before I could find a totaled 10R with everything I needed intact. I just love the looks of that year ZX6R, I think it's the sexiest bike Kawi made, but not so much that I'm willing to give up the 1L to ride one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts