Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that are redlining your bikes, what oil are you using?

Motul
Last season I ran Motul 7100 Ester. I can't say that I really like this oil. After putting in fresh oil the gear box lacked that silky smoothness that normally comes with fresh oil. The bike felt like it had a sore throat. Recommended Mileage: Track = 300 Street = 1,000

Mobil 1
I personally like Mobil 1. If you run the Mobil 1 make sure you get the motorcycle version and don't cheap out and buy the car version. I know guys that did that and went through about 4 motors in 1 season. The motorcycle version has heat dissapating chemicals that protect the motor. I ran Mobil 1 for years in my Ducs and never had any issues. I may go back to that for this coming season.
Recommended Mileage: Track = 500 Street = 2,500

Honda Oil Synthetic
This is actually pretty good. Silky Smooth shifting. I tend to change this oil more frequently.
Recommended Mileage: Track = 300 Street 3,000

AGIP
I use this in my MV F4 1000S. Fantastic stuff. Good on bearings. This motor oil can sit for a while and not adversely affect it's quality.
Recommended Mileage: Track = 500 Street = 3,000

Chime in if you've used Maxima or any other brands

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use maxima in mine and have never had any problems with it. Might try that Mobil 1 but then again. If it ain't broke dot fix it so I'll prob stick with maxima. I don't stay up 14+ for long but I do run the motor decently I'll hit 14k rpms in first second maybe third if I'm on an open stretch from a stop. Drag on the weekends and I change the oil around 2000 miles less miles during the weekend drags season lol

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use maxima in mine and have never had any problems with it. Might try that Mobil 1 but then again. If it ain't broke dot fix it so I'll prob stick with maxima. I don't stay up 14+ for long but I do run the motor decently I'll hit 14k rpms in first second maybe third if I'm on an open stretch from a stop. Drag on the weekends and I change the oil around 2000 miles less miles during the weekend drags season lol
From what I've heard the Maxima is good stuff and I remember reading one test where it netted the most horsepower on the dyno of all the oils tested. If my memory serves me correct I think it was good for another 2hp or so to the wheel.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dang that's nice to know lol that's what I've been raised on and been using even in my dirt bikes since around 12 yrs old and we have never had engine failures. Of course prop matainance along with it. I can't speak for other brands caz as soon as I got my 636 and my 2012 zx10 I put maxima oil in it so I can't really give ya experience using other brands. Street riding on 636 and I norm stay around 8-10k rpms stock gearing if it's not too hot out. I do keep an eye on motor temp also to make sure I'm not runnin 200+ on the temp guage also.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Rotella 5W40... Silky smooth

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Nice. That's around 65k miles... Not bad, and a plus one for Motul.
Mine bike has 55,000+ miles, got it with 6500 on it and the first 35000 was Mobil 1 15w50 and the rest has been a combo of Rotella 15w40 or 5w40

Josh

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Ran Kawi semi-Syn for a while

I ran Motul 7100... felt that it broke down really quick

Then swapped to Ipone 4T... worked well... bike liked it a lot more...

Now I am on Repsol Moto 4T Racing.... I love it... paired with a synthetic filter i bought from the dealer it works really nice... 2,000km and I dont want to do an oil change because its still nice and clean!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Both of my bikes are running Amsoil 10w40 full synthetic. The chrome bike gets the shit rode out of it and I keep it up , the black one may get an oil change twice a year with the Amsoil. ( It doesnt get rode very much , and its now my girls bike. )
I went from Repsol to Royal Purple. Repsol was good , but I found out after a month or so of riding in the summer it tended to make my shifting less silky. The Royal Purple on the other hand was absolutly fantastic, However at 15.99 a quart it just wasnt to feasable for me anymore. Im friends with the Amsoil rep here and Im able to get it at 6.99 a quart ( $4 less than most shops shelf price. ) and it runs equally as good as the Royal Purple.
Dont do any track riding or strip , but the crew I ride with is usually running wide open anywhere we go.

Paul

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Both of my bikes are running Amsoil 10w40 full synthetic. The chrome bike gets the shit rode out of it and I keep it up , the black one may get an oil change twice a year with the Amsoil. ( It doesnt get rode very much , and its now my girls bike. )
I went from Repsol to Royal Purple. Repsol was good , but I found out after a month or so of riding in the summer it tended to make my shifting less silky. The Royal Purple on the other hand was absolutly fantastic, However at 15.99 a quart it just wasnt to feasable for me anymore. Im friends with the Amsoil rep here and Im able to get it at 6.99 a quart ( $4 less than most shops shelf price. ) and it runs equally as good as the Royal Purple.
Dont do any track riding or strip , but the crew I ride with is usually running wide open anywhere we go.

Paul
So how are things in Z-Hills?
Do you guys do the northruns to the B-Ville Hess? And then continue on the Shamrocks at Floral City? i'm up north now. I really miss those rides.

Personally, I feel as long as the oil & filter are changed regurlarly, doesn't really matter which full syn. bike oil a rider picks. i've used many of the top brands. The shift quality degrades with all of them eventually. I do want to try the Klotz MX4 Techniplate. This oil company makes all kinds of exotitic fuels and petroleum products. They make nitromethane too. The Klotz full syn. oil is supposed to smell like "cherries." Prob better the the 300v Motul.

Have you ever tried the Sunoco 100 fuel you can buy at some of the bay area stations? I just never got around to trying it. Last time I stopped at exit 314 in I-75, there was a pump that had it available. It's available at a few stations in Tampa. I would think it might be available in your town or maybe Dade City. The redneck muddin' crowd might want to try it for those huge tired pickups or maybe the Saturday night dirt racers on the short tracks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I run Maxima 10w40 in my street ZX7R and Maxima 20w50 in the track ZX7R.
No problems yet.
The previous owner of my street 7R told me that he tried synthetic in it and the clutch slipped like crazy.....

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
O'Reilly's has Mobil 1 10W-40 4T on sale for $8.99/qt. until April !0th. I'm gonna get a case as you may never see this price again. Cycle Gear sells it for $13.99/qt. Their latest sale was buy 3 or 4 (can't remember which) and get one free. Still not as cheap as $8.99.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Hey Paul, See if you can get an oil change for me with the stuff you use. I need to change my oil soon.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
amsoil 10w-40. bike loves it, oil still new looking after 2k mi on it. so far so good. put it in when it had 20k mi on it. when it starts burning oil however, im switching to a less costly synthetic. dont feel like flushing money down the exhaust pipe. At that point, oil is oil imo.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Belray full synth. bike likes it, i like it. looks new after i believe about 2000 on it, maybe a little more

·
Registered
84 Posts
So how are things in Z-Hills?
Do you guys do the northruns to the B-Ville Hess? And then continue on the Shamrocks at Floral City? i'm up north now. I really miss those rides.

Personally, I feel as long as the oil & filter are changed regurlarly, doesn't really matter which full syn. bike oil a rider picks. i've used many of the top brands. The shift quality degrades with all of them eventually. I do want to try the Klotz MX4 Techniplate. This oil company makes all kinds of exotitic fuels and petroleum products. They make nitromethane too. The Klotz full syn. oil is supposed to smell like "cherries." Prob better the the 300v Motul.

Have you ever tried the Sunoco 100 fuel you can buy at some of the bay area stations? I just never got around to trying it. Last time I stopped at exit 314 in I-75, there was a pump that had it available. It's available at a few stations in Tampa. I would think it might be available in your town or maybe Dade City. The redneck muddin' crowd might want to try it for those huge tired pickups or maybe the Saturday night dirt racers on the short tracks.
Im not much for anything on the North end. Dont get to much time. Most of my time is usually running south. I run with Rad's crew from time to time, and spend a lot of time with my buddies out of Lakeland.
As far as the 100.... Havent seen any around here. However in Dade City there is a station that sells ehtenol free from what I have heard, however its a dollar more per gallon. And right now 93 is $4:15 a gallon. So 93 it is untill prices slip a bit.

Where are you at up North ??? Hit me up if you ever get this way.

Paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts