Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forecast is wet, FP1 was wet, the Kawasaki Team went well with Randy de Puniet & Anthony West at the top of the timings for a lot of the session.

Finished with Randy 3rd & Ant 8th. Good start for West for 1st time out on the ZX-RR in practice :clap

Weather sites:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/castle_donington_forecast_weather.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1632
http://uk.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/UKXX0040
Derby is near to Dinington

Looks like lots of rain for the next two days, with light rain for race day.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Kawasaki Racing Team Report - Day 1

http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com/press/index.asp?saction=Article&sSection=press&id=721

Text from link:

22 Jun 2007
KAWASAKI BUOYANT AT DRENCHED DONINGTON

The Nickel and Dime British Grand Prix got off to a particularly soggy start today as continuous rain poured down on the Midlands circuit. However, the day went well for the Kawasaki team with both Randy de Puniet and new teammate, Anthony West, finishing the timed sessions well within the top ten.

Randy claimed fourth place on the leaderboard on combined times with a fastest lap of 1’44.302 in the first session of the day. This put him just 0.553 seconds behind current championship leader and today’s pacesetter, Casey Stoner. The 26-year-old Frenchman sat out half of the second session as the morning’s activities had taken their toll on his injured knee but, once back out on track, he put in another 16 productive laps. A brief foray through the gravel at Redgate failed to topple him over, in conditions that saw the likes of Valentino Rossi and Dani Pedrosa either crashing or veering off onto the grass.

Hoping to build on his positive performance at the last race in Catalunya, where he gained fifth place, de Puniet’s looking strong and confident: a fact reflected in his notable lap times despite the conditions.

New team rider, Anthony West, put in a similarly robust performance in his first MotoGP practice session on the 800cc Ninja ZX-RR. Despite having never ridden in the company of these riders at this level, he more than held his own, finishing seventh fastest on combined times and spending much of the second practice dicing with Hopkins and Stoner for first place.

Fast and consistent, the 25-year-old Australian put in his fastest lap of the day,1’44.498, right at the end of the last session and the team were impressed, not only with his riding but with the expertise with which he managed to communicate his needs to his technicians. It’s early days but things are gelling nicely.

Both riders appeared happy with the day’s work, the bikes and the Bridgestone tyres they were running, resulting in a positive mood in the Kawasaki camp.

A smattering of fans braved the horrendous conditions as, in legendary English style, the clouds opened over Donington and then refused to close again. However, with more bad weather forecast for the weekend, a wet practice could well prove particularly fruitful for the team, enabling them to fine tune a good wet set up.

Randy de Puniet: #14 - 4th - Best Lap 1'44.302
“The conditions were bad and vision wasn’t great but I’m happy about the bike: I had a good feeling and I’m confident. We’ve been working on the tyres and the mapping, which are the most important things here. My knee’s been painful but after this weekend there’s a break, so I hope it will be completely better for the Sachsenring. Tomorrow, we will work on more of the same, especially tyre choice, depending on the weather.”

Anthony West: #13 - 7th - Best Lap 1'44.498
“We had a few problems with the rear this morning but now it’s a lot better. And it’s really odd but the bike’s becoming more comfortable even though the back tyre’s done both sessions, so with a new tyre I’m sure we could go even quicker and get more traction. At the moment, I’m really happy. I’m excited to be here and today was a good day. I was worried about the rain this morning but it’s turned out well and I like working with this team: they seem to understand what I want. We’ve been trying things out and playing around, seeing what I like and what I don’t like. A lot of testing in a short time.”

Naoya Kaneko: Kawasaki Technical Manager
“Both riders did a good job to set up the machine today for a wet race but we must wait and see what happens tomorrow as we haven’t got a dry set up. We’ve adjusted the throttle to be more precise and gentle and sorted out the engine mapping and tyres. We’ve been very impressed with Anthony on his first time out. He was fast and really consistent and when he came in, he made good progress improving the set up. As for Randy, we know he mustn’t stress his knee too much but we’ll see how he’ll cope. It’s all good. We’re really happy.”

Practice Times:
1. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 1'43.749; 2. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +0.032; 3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +0.121; 4. Randy De Puniet (FRA) Kawasaki Racing Team +0.553; 5. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +0.622; 6. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha Factory Racing +0.696; 7. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +0.749; 8. John Hopkins (USA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +0.967; 9. Marco Melandri (ITA) Honda Gresini + 1.935; 10. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Yamaha Factory Racing + 1.969

·
Registered
649 Posts
Where was Rossi???
My $$$ is on Stoner for the win.... hopefully the KAWI team can get on the podium!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FP3 - dry session

Randy 6th ahead of the works Yams (Rossi & Edwards)
Ant 18th - I guess he'll be hoping for rain tomorrow

Stoner looks strong wet or dry but the works Hondas went well in the dry.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Qualifying

Randy 8th (the Yams topped the timings with Edwards on pole)
Ant West 17th - better but probably still hoping for rain

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kawasaki MotoGP - FP3 & qualifying

Kawasaki Racing Team Day 2 report - FP3 & qualifying
http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com/press/index.asp?saction=Article&sSection=press&id=728

Text from link:

23 Jun 2007
PROGRESS CONTINUES AS KAWASAKI PREPARE FOR THE BRITISH GP

Randy de Puniet and Anthony West will start tomorrow’s MotoGP race from eighth and 17th on the grid respectively after today’s qualifying practice at Donington Park.

After two wet sessions yesterday, the final practice was held this morning in the dry and saw de Puniet finish sixth on combined times, just ahead of the afternoon’s eventual pole position man, Colin Edwards.

Meanwhile, Anthony, adapting to a dry track on the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR after Friday’s spectacular, rain-hit debut where he came seventh on combined times, finished in 18th place in practice, nearly two seconds ahead of Team Roberts rider, Kurtis Roberts.

The qualifying session brought with it some unexpected sunshine and lap times continued to rise. De Puniet, with a best time of 1’29.415 and a top speed of 266.485kmh, finished the session just 0.884 seconds behind Edwards, earning himself a position on the third row of the grid.

Still limping slightly due to a knee injury sustained at Mugello, the Frenchman put in a sterling performance. Happy with his bike’s set up and Bridgestone tyre choices, he feels confident he can do well in tomorrow’s race and certainly aims to beat the 12th place finish he achieved at the Leicestershire circuit last year.

Newcomer to the team, West, managed to find a good dry set up for what will be his first ever MotoGP race. The 25-year-old Australian put in a 1’30.718 lap, putting him 17th on the grid, ahead of Tamada and Roberts.

Having never before ridden on a qualifying tyre, the former 250cc and World Supersport rider managed to put in consistent lap times and continues to give useful feedback to his mechanics, enabling them to be prepared for tomorrow’s race, regardless of what the weather decides to do.

Anthony has done well at Donington in the past, taking a third in 2003 and a second (behind a victorious Randy!) in 2005, both in the 250cc championship.

The British GP is always a sell out with the fans and tomorrow’s 30-lap race is unlikely to disappoint as the riders face the challenges prompted by the sweeping undulations of Craner Curves and the notoriously tricky Melbourne Loop.

The Kawasaki Racing Team are very pleased with the progress of both bikes and riders and feel confident their new line up and ever-improving Ninja ZX-RRs will bring home some valuable championship points on Sunday.

Randy de Puniet: #14 - 8th - Best Lap 1'29.415
“Today, I got some good lap times in race conditions and I’m happy about that. I hoped for a bit more in qualifying, and I’m a bit disappointed about being on the third row, but another rider was on my line in the last corner and I lost a little time. Still, I’m happy with the race tyres and we’ve achieved a good set up. I’m just hoping for a good race, like the one in Barcelona, and aim to be in the top eight: it’s a hard track, though, and there are a lot of laps.”

Anthony West: #13 - 17th - Best Lap 1'30.718
“It’s hard getting only two hours in the dry and there’s a lot to learn. I’ve never used a qualifying tyre before and didn’t know what to expect. It felt… different! I didn’t know how hard I could push it and now I know I wasn’t pushing hard enough. I’ve had a bit of trouble with the front: the bike wants to wheelie all the time and I’ve got to change some aspects of my riding style to suit the ZX-RR. Tomorrow, I hope to finish and maybe try to get further up than I am now. It’s not so bad, though. I normally go faster in the race itself and I’m sure, once I get to follow some of these guys, I’ll learn a few things.”

Fiorenzo Fanali: West Crew Chief
“Yesterday we found a good wet set up but today we had to start again in the dry and it’s very difficult to jump on a bike for the first time and then experience such differing conditions. Anthony did very well indeed: it’s the first time he’s used a qualifying tyre and that isn’t easy. Our target is for him to finish the race and he was very consistent on race tyres. We will keep taking it step by step and I think he’s going to improve quickly. We just need a little time.”

Qualifying Times:
1. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha Factory Racing 1'28.531; 2. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Yamaha Factory Racing +0.146; 3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +0.332; 4. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +0.494; 5. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +0.530; 6. John Hopkins (USA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +0.542; 7. Carlos Checa (SPA) Honda LCR +0.750; 8. Randy De Puniet (FRA) Kawasaki Racing Team +0.884; 9. Marco Melandri (ITA) Honda Gresini +0.967; 10. Toni Elias (SPA) Honda Gresini + 1.180; 17. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +2.187

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Race day - morning warm up

Wet Track

Anthony West - 1st :clap
Only Stoner & Edwards are close to him on times

Randy de Puniet - 8th

I guess the Kawasaki team (& fans) will be praying for rain

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had plans to make Donington this year...family, cheap board....will have to try next year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts