Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so if youve read my other threads i just did a oil change on my 2001 zx9r and switched from synthetic to conventional motorcycle oil 10w-40 weight.now 2nd gear 4th and 6th and even first has slipped at about 8000 rpms it dosnt slip unless youre giving her throttle and rapping the rpms out.im wondering if its my gears slipping or the clutch???! how do you tell the difference at those speeds? when i down shifted at 1 point and got on it it felt like it was slipping and you could hear the gear finally slowing engaging as the rpms went down and the speed went up if that makes sense?like it over revd then the gear started catching and took the rpms down where they should have been.but being that after the oil change its way worse im thinking i should go back to synthetic and maybe a heavier weight?i mean i can put a clutch in it no problem but it dosnt slip like taking off like a car does so i dont know if it needs 1 or not or just the oil is screwing it up.please help guys!o and in 6th gear it slipped out of gear at 140 and wouldnt go any faster just revd up like it kicked out of gear.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Just have to ask, why did you switch off the synthetic?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just have to ask, why did you switch off the synthetic?
heard lots of people complaining of slipping with it and it slipped before so i thought maybe conventional would fix the problem.im going back to synthetic now lol im just curious if thats the problem or if the clutch or tranny is going out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
figure about 60-100 bucks for friction plates, if your steel plates are warped or really blued, you'll have to get those too. or you can get them both as a kit.

I always use oem gaskets (about 10 bucks) for peace of mind and consistent fitment. Plus the new oil of course

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clutch is on it's way out...still. :eek:hno
still dosnt make sense when before conventional oil 4th gear was the only gear that slipped.i still think my shift fork is worn or bent.ive never had a clutch only slip in 1 gear but ive never owned a ninja either.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
The clutch will slip in whatever gear has the most torque applied to it. Doesn't matter which it is. My Dodge Neon with an SRT-4 engine slipped in any gear past 3rd. Why? Too much power.

·
Registered
288 Posts
still dosnt make sense when before conventional oil 4th gear was the only gear that slipped.i still think my shift fork is worn or bent.ive never had a clutch only slip in 1 gear but ive never owned a ninja either.
I have had a wrench in my hand since I was 10 years old, that's 46 years.

Gears don't "slip", clutches do. Your motorcycle clutch is a wet clutch, meaning it runs in oil. Different oils affect clutches in different ways. change the clutch discs, change the steels if they're warped or blued. New springs are recommended, why half-ass the job. Make sure to run whatever the manf recommends for oil. Don't split the cases and get into the transmission, you'll be wasting time and money. Shift forks WILL NOT cause a slip, they make the bike jump out of gear, or not go all the way into gear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Switching from synthetic to conventional oil will cause havoc on the drivetrain.. its ok to switch up to synthetic but I don't ever reccommend downgrading afterwards..

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
cheap whore
5,610 Posts
I have a b3 which the be series are notorious for bending shift forks and the dogs wearing. Mine pops out of gear in second on acceleration only. On deceleration it holds fine. If its accelerating a little then not and making a grinding sound then accelerating then not and grinding then the shift forks would be suspect. If its just slipping its the clutch. Does not kawi recommend synthetic oil anyway?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Switching from synthetic to conventional oil will cause havoc on the drivetrain.. its ok to switch up to synthetic but I don't ever reccommend downgrading afterwards..

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had a wrench in my hand since I was 10 years old, that's 46 years.

Gears don't "slip", clutches do. Your motorcycle clutch is a wet clutch, meaning it runs in oil. Different oils affect clutches in different ways. change the clutch discs, change the steels if they're warped or blued. New springs are recommended, why half-ass the job. Make sure to run whatever the manf recommends for oil. Don't split the cases and get into the transmission, you'll be wasting time and money. Shift forks WILL NOT cause a slip, they make the bike jump out of gear, or not go all the way into gear.
it does jumpout of gear at around 8000 rpms.i guess it is more of a complete kick out of gear than a slip.i mean the rpms just go straight to redline after it kicks out of gear.but seeing that its now doing it in more gears and it being a wet clutch im going to say i just need to replace the clutch.i dont just replace friction disc i replace the entire clutch as you should never jusrt replace pieces of a clutch you need to completely replace all parts as it will fail fast as hell if you dont.had a wrench in my hands for 30 years myself just new to these crotch rockets.also worked at a clutch rebuilding plant for 5 years.going tomorrow to get new filter and synthetic oil for her for after i get a clutch.what oil does kawasaki recommend on these bikes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts