Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As requested a few pics of the mods so far, please note this is work in progress and especially the TomTom will be having some major refitting as soon as i've completed the design and construction of a new fitting, will include an image of my initial pencil design.

First of the Givi box fitted to a E121 universal plate, bolted on with 4x M6x40mm bolts with repair washers and nylon nuts to prevent pull through.

Next up was the Oxford Heated grips, with these I had a little fun, left hand handlebar needed a fair bit of persuasion to get the grip in place but a bit of washing up liquid and some patience finally saw it seated. On the Throttle slider it was necessary for me to file down the lip provided for securing the standard rubber grips to get the grip in a position where it was not rubbing anywhere therebye allowing unrestricted movement of the throttle and most importantly its ability to spring shut instantly if released.

Left hand grip and controller

New controller, buttons instead of rotary knob

Right hand grip and showing standard TomTom mount

Side view showing problem with standard mount, its too close to the rider hence I will be building something more suitable

Heres one showing the TomTom in situ

Finally I have 2 different plans on the drawing board to improve the TomTom position, to place it between the yokes, the first plan I will show you below, consists of engineering a stud to accept a RAM mount ball thus utilising some of the kit that comes with the TomTom for mounting. Plan 2 will utilise the same stud but run into a tubular bar with the TomTom being mounted direct to a custom plate. I will build both and see which works best in the real world.

Below is a photo showing which stud I intend to utilise

Stud design (only a rough at the moment was not really ready to announce this to the world but what the heck).
basically it will be a stainless steel rod, upon which the left hand side will be threaded to act as the allen bolt shown removed in the picture above, it will be tightened using the flats ground into the bar and will be tapped to accept either a bolt or a standard 3/8" stud from a 1" RAM mount ball. The TomTom will then either be mounted via the ball and RAM arms or the plate and rod setup i'm still working on at paper level.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looks good.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a gps and can't decide where I want to mount it.
I don't own one, but I just used a buddy's BMW 1200 GS for a ride in the Lake Tahoe area. It was a Garmin "ZUMO". Worked great, easy interface, and was mounted on the left handle bar. If/when I get one, I will likely buy this model.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I used a RAM mount ball on short stud with 9mm hole.

Here are the part numbers I used:

RAM Round Base Mount Adapter ( 068-0003)
Part Number: GRAB
Price: $12.00 Quantity: 1 Total: $12.00

RAM Normal Arm
Part Number: GRANA
Price: $15.00 Quantity: 1 Total: $15.00

RAM Angle Mount Adapter with 9mm Hole ( 068-0236 )
Part Number: GRAB9
Price: $18.00 Quantity: 1 Total: $18.00

Sub Total: $45.00
Shipping: $4.97
Tax (WA): $4.00
Total: $53.97

·
Registered
93 Posts
Heated Grips

I have also added the new type Oxford heated grips with the new controller as the previous member has show in his photo but mine came with a handlebar attachement to use if I wanted too. This option was better for me as easier to use control when on the move. I agree also that the left handlebar was a bit of a struggle to get the heated grip on but my main fault was the wiring from the right handlebar (throttle) was too short to reach the main wiring plugs of I wanted to use the extra handlebar mount.I had no choice but to cut the connector off and solder and extended wire. That job done I fail to see how this wire would be long enough on any touring bike unless you mount the controller somewhere on the dashboard which is not everybodys choice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally agree about the length of the cables, not really a generous amount supplied and can cause mounting issues due to the design of the handlebars. Will probably use that bracket myself in the long run, time will tell, and if I do, likewise I will have to extend leads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts