Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what are the popular mods for a zx9? not including paint jobs.
Love to hear what you do in the US, I used to live in a state where there are no speed limits:nana so everything was big bore kits etc going for top speed.
I'm about to start on my bike ........... er..... I've started already, BUT, I'm open to suggestions before I go to far/spend to much :grin just incase I like a idea and run with it.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust is done, PC3 ?.... I have the dyna 2000 allows alteration of ignition curve and red line, ahhhh frame sliders should be here next week.

Suspension ......... haven't touched it so far, what's the go over there??

·
Registered
1 Posts
mods

Hey, I was also wondering about suspension upgrades [not crazy expensive] and sliders for the 9r. [2001] Any suggestions?

·
registered member
523 Posts
My 00 9r was bone stock other than a loud ass D&D slip on!!

Damn i loved that bike... but it got stolen at Myrtle beach!!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VOZ said:
My 00 9r was bone stock other than a loud ass D&D slip on!!

Damn i loved that bike... but it got stolen at Myrtle beach!!
Ouch thats gota hurt:rant pissed off I bet

·
Registered
23 Posts
PC3's are for fuel injection only. His is carb'd...sorry, just wanted to clarify that

Get an Akrapovic full exhaust, jet kit to match and 4 degree advance for the ignition. That will net you 145ish to the tire. Next up is the Muzzy big bore kit and they told me that would get me close to 155-158 at the tire with the aforementioned mods. If you want anything above that then figure that out before you do the previous mods because they will be a waste at approximately $3500 (US). You need to buy a MR Turbo kit with fuel injection for $5800 (US). That will get you a minimum of 180whp-230whp depending on much you want to turn up the wick. Then you will be able to keep up with the ever ensuing HP wars for a few years to come. Considering my buddies brand new ZX10 just put down 170.5whp with a full exhaust and remap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Peregrine, I would like to ask you something. Where do the 145whp come from? I recently read in a site about bike dynos and I think that we are 'dreaming' a bit... They were stating that the stock ZX-14 (no mods), makes 164 rwhp. And you know? I believe them because a guy here doing bike tests for over 20 years told us of an 165rwhp on the ZX-14. How can a ZX-9 or a ZX-10 make more ?(we are not talking about Mr. Turbo kits)
The site link is below and I think that these people are telling the truth. I hear friends saying '165 whp, 180 whp'...Wow! Wait! Most of us have our bikes tested on Dynojet dynos, but as it seems Dynojet are 'blowing up' all of us with fake(larger) hp numbers. And I remember reading somewhere else that Dynojet tune their machines to read closer to 'crank' hp of manufacturers marketing numbers and not the Rear Wheel Horse Power...that explains the big numbers...We are being told hp 'fairytales' and I certainly don't like to be treated like a 'jack a**'.
Factory Pro dynos seem to be FAR MORE 'honest' about a bike's hp...please take a look at the site. These people are DEFINITELY not telling 'bull'. It is all in the rules of physics.

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/dyno_compare.html
http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

Best Regards,
falcon030gr

Stay Kawasaki.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here we go.....HP dyno's are really only good for telling you what the difference is between baseline and what you did afterwards. According to the SAE (standard of automotive mechanics) all dyno's read the same with the corrected factor. So...I have seen most ZX-9's dyno in the range of 122-130 at the rear wheel on all different kinds of dyno's. That was when I used to work for Kawi. Eric Woods of Penguin road racing had a big bore ZX-9 with 175hp at the tire. (for future reference, all HP numbers I publish will be rear wheel) The stock ZX-10 is coming in around 150-155HP stock. My buddies just put down 170.5HP with an exhaust and map. Muzzy told me I could be right below the 160 mark with their 998cc kit. These bikes weren't slow in their day and still aren't that bad. My non corrected HP on Ivan's Performance dyno was 139.8 on a very humid rainy day.

I don't think we are dreaming. These bikes haven't come as far as you think. Ricky Gadson clicked off a 9.98ET on my bike with only a strapped nose in 1999 SR article. He is only running 1/2 second quicker on todays bikes and we are talking 10-15 more HP and 20lbs less in comparison. Granted these bikes have better brakes and suspension, but so what, upgrade!

As I reread your post. I could care less about Dynojet vs. FactoryPro. Not to sound callous, but I just want more power. The final #'s are for bench racers and I don't bench race, I road race. The number output of one machine vs another doesn't affect me.

To play devil's advocate... if a dyno reads 164 for a stock ZX14 and 129 for a stock ZX9 both on a Dynojet dyno than there is your difference. Right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts