Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 zx9r mostly stock with Yosh. slip on exaust bike runs great and doesnt smell rich or leak gas, has an unbelievable 2800 mi. and I got this bike about a month ago. The first time I rode it I easily got over 100 mi. and was curious to see how many I would be averaging so I set the trip after filling the tank each time. I ran about 80mi. the first time, and filled all the way up again and hit 70mi. before having to kick the reserve on. Does anyone no why I am not reaching 120-130 miles per tank? I dont run the bike hard a whole lot and dont get on the highway much either, mostly back roads to school. Also is the reserve 1 gallon?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
As new as your bike seems, it either has been heavily modified or is running very poorly. Whomever told it was stock probably had their fingers crossed behind their back.

ZX-11s & 2000+ model year ZX-9Rs are head and shoulders above all the other big-bore models in efficiency; ~50 MPG stock. Which if you translate that to the 1998-2003 ZX-9R's 5.019g capacity, equals 250 miles per tank on the interstate. That's without changing anything to a bike that rolls off the showroom floor.

Lots of threads here on how to tune them, what others get MPT/MPG, and what modifications are necessary to lower MPG. Logically, if you want to unruin MPG, just reverse the mods made and get a little more meticulous with tuning. Here's one thread that holds some of the clues <click here>.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Damn! You guys must be haulin!!!!

Perhaps an instructional video on throttle management will help you guys get your MPG numbers up to something a little more respectable. Take the following video and stats taken from that specific ride last year. See!? If you ride really steady, the bike can return over 50 MPG. Best examples of throttle management begin at 2:45.

Miles recorded: 385.3
U.S. gallons used: 7.46
Avg MPG: 51.6
Bike: 2000 ZX-9R e1 w/53,000 miles, rejetted too :evil

At 110 miles to reserve, instead of 7.46 gallons used, yours would have used 14.01g and instead of spending $30.59 that day, you would have spent $57.44.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The best I have got on my '94 ZX11 is 51.1 MPG. My average runs between 42 & 45 MPG, with some dips into the high 30's due to to some heavy throttle use while riding in the hills. Mileage aside, can't help loving the ride on a ZX!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is about the same every time, it cuts out and I switch to reserve at 160 miles (2000 E1) and its jetted. :crazyloco

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Wow I was getting 55-+5 and it was every fill, I always put in about 3 gal, give or take some every 165-180, it was a habit from owning a bike with a 3.9 gal tank and it dying on me 2 times lol, never got less than 50 thats for sure

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow I was getting 55-+5 and it was every fill, I always put in about 3 gal, give or take some every 165-180, it was a habit from owning a bike with a 3.9 gal tank and it dying on me 2 times lol, never got less than 50 thats for sure
Like the avatar, I am going to PR for vacay. around the last week of June, cant wait.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont understand how my trip is at 80 mi. when the bike needs swithched over to reserve, I dont ride hard much at all. Prob. no more than anyone else. The bike runs perfect and not running rich from the smell.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Dont stay in san juan, that place sucks if you stay there you might as well go to florida too many tourists lol, go to the west side of the island if you want good beaches without the tourists, oh and dont stare lol, and for food almost anywhere is good as long as its not a chain restaurant, just ask for "comida criolla" and someone will send you to their favorite spot, usually small places are the best just like over here with the hole in the wall places, as for the bike I dknt know what to tell you other than after you take off put it in the highest gear and baby the throttle thats how I got my mpgs

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Nal, if you were getting 55 +/- 5, you can afford not to baby it. :thefinger

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I don't understand how my trip is at 80 mi. when the bike needs switched over to reserve, I don't ride hard much at all. Prob. no more than anyone else. The bike runs perfect and not running rich from the smell.
If you don't enjoy getting 80-100 miles on 4 gallons of gas, there is plenty you can do about it. The most obvious causes of bad MPG go in this order: gearing, fueling (jetting/tune), engine soundness, brake drag & tire pressure.

If you're serious about saving yourself 50% on your 9's fuel bill, get to reading and working at that chit.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Oh I didnt really baby it but my 45 minute commute is full of coppers so I never really got to push it either lol, only in certain areas and for a couple seconds only lol, I do the same in my car, I get 30 avg and my neighbor has a coupe version and gets 27 best, my best has been 35 avg, my truck gets 18-20 avg but ive seen 24 avg before I put on the exhaust lol now I just like hearing the rumbling v8 so my mpgs on it are down 18 pretty constant lol, coasting it shuts to 4 cylinders it shounds like a helicopter lol, you just gotta know your vehicle and when it needs some foot/wrist action... I never give it more than needed learned that from previous encounters with the black surface lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dont stay in san juan, that place sucks if you stay there you might as well go to florida too many tourists lol, go to the west side of the island if you want good beaches without the tourists, oh and dont stare lol, and for food almost anywhere is good as long as its not a chain restaurant, just ask for "comida criolla" and someone will send you to their favorite spot, usually small places are the best just like over here with the hole in the wall places, as for the bike I dknt know what to tell you other than after you take off put it in the highest gear and baby the throttle thats how I got my mpgs
My wife is from Puerto Rico and has alot of family there as well, I have been there twice and loved it each time, thanks man.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just filled up; my trip meter was at 62 mi. when I got to the pump, I put 2.8 gal. in the tank which means I had 1.2 gal left before reserve. The 62mi/2.8gal= 22 miles per gal. Not to good, I def didnt run it hard and stayed under 7-8k rpm. I ride in 5/6 gear alot even when cruising at 40mph but shouldnt have this effect on the gas.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Just filled up...The 62mi/2.8gal= 22 miles per gal. Not too good, I def didn't run it hard...
Now that you've confirmed how awful you bike's MPG is, are you going to do something to change that?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
cool then you know aready how shit is over there, and since you live with one you already know how to act lol j/k, and that is pretty horrible mileage, how is the idle on your bike? how is the clutch feel? do you feel any lag/slippage, if a bike is that low mileage and that old it means it spent long periods of time just sitting and more than likely without being maintained properly, something is deff not right, and you are over looking it, you should take it to a respectable shop and have them take a look at it, at least take it for a spin and tell you what they think, that way you can decide if you can do the work yourself or pay them for it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine says its getting around 46 but its geared different and I haven't added a speedo healer yet, also done know what gearing exactly (previous owner did it not me) I know I'm +1 in the rear idk on the front yet but guessing -1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, im just throwing this out there.. Is your speedo accurate? If the sprockets were changed before you owned it maybe your odo is just saying you have ridden 62 miles.. Just a shot in the dark..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, im just throwing this out there.. Is your speedo accurate? If the sprockets were changed before you owned it maybe your odo is just saying you have ridden 62 miles.. Just a shot in the dark..
Mine seems pretty accurate, when I pass the speed traps they are nearly right on, my milage is close to, based on the places I travel to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts