Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did an oil change on the 03 zx636 that I bought at the beginning of the month. The oil was very very thin and smelt like it had an addative or engine cleaning agent of some sort in it. I don't know how long the guy who had it before me was riding it like this but I know that it wasn't protecting the engine the same way that proper oil would.

Anyways when I was draining the old oil out of the catch pan and into the container I noticed some metal shavings in the bottom of the catch pan. They weren't there before, I know that for sure. There weren't tons and tons of shavings or any large pieces in there but more that I would have liked to see.

How bad do you think this is? I know it's hard to say with out actually seeing the bike or oil. The bike still runs fine, and sounds like it has plenty of power (reving it after it was warmed up and with new oil of course). There is still some smoke coming out of the tailpipe (which I thought origionally was from the thin oil) But it was too dark to see the colour of the smoke, It could just be because it's running rich, or maybe even just condensation from the hot exhaust hitting the cool air. This happens around 10-12k rpm and above. Is it at all normal for sport bikes to spit out a bit of smoke at this range? Could it be because the gas in the tank is some what old and the bike has sat for a few months? I know I should probably investigate it better in the day light tomorrow and probably with some fresh gas in it.

Sorry for all the questions and concearns but I just got this bike and I really don't want these minor problems to turn into major ones down the line.

Thank you in advance for any input you can give me regarding this problem. -Bill.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bill,
What does the exhaust smell like. Gas or burning oil? I know when I bought my bike new the exhaust had a heavy oil smell to it until the piston rings seated then it went away. If you are really concerned about this take a sample of your oil at your next oil change and send it off for a spectro-analisis. This will tell you what type of metal it is and should help determine what is comming apart on the inside, if anything. How big where the shavings?
Also, did you throw out the oil filter? If not cut it open and see if they are in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shavings are not big as far as shavings from an engine go. I didn't change the filter because I am just storing the bike for the winter, I won't be riding it at all untill next season when I'm going to do a proper oil change with a new filter.

The exhaust has a slight smell of oil, only when you rev it up though. It's no where near as bad as before. I think that I'm going to change the gas as well and check the plugs and all that.

Also, when I checked the air filter it seemed fairly oilly (k&n) I don't know if it was over oiled and some is still dripping into the throttle bodies? There was a fair amount of oil residue on the throttle body valves. Maybe after I clean and properly re oil the filter it won't be as bad.

Are there oil treatment products for bikes like there are for cars? Something like Lucas or whatever, you know to thicken the oil and prevent shavings? Would switching to full synthetic next season help protect better?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are there oil treatment products for bikes like there are for cars? Something like Lucas or whatever, you know to thicken the oil and prevent shavings? Would switching to full synthetic next season help protect better?
How many miles are on the bike? Dont know if you would want to start adding additives to your oil unless you are loosing power or you have heavy blue smoke comming from your exhaust. As far as synthetic goes you might want to think about going to a synthetic blend first before going fully synthetic. The problem with synthetic is that it is extremely thin and if it has not been run in an engine that has a lot of miles it will not seal around the rings properly and you will have a lot of blow-by and eventually glaze your piston rings. Start with a synthetic blend first for 2 oil changes then go to a fully synthetic oil. I recommend amsoil if you can afford it. Bout $10/quart. Synthetic oil is definately the way to go if you plan on keeping the motor in "like new" condition. When using synthetic try to stay with the same oil weight that you have been using.

Hope this helps! just my $.02

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike has 13000km. A little over 8000 miles.

·
Banned
528 Posts
sound like you have internal problems to me man, if u got metal shavings in your oil it could stop up your oil pump and lock up your motor in the long run, also i would flush your engine and drain that oil out and put some new oil in it and change that oil filter, also clean the inside of your oil pan bc thats where it's all layin at and once u start the bike up it starts to circulate all inside your motor

·
Registered
234 Posts
How many miles are on the bike? Dont know if you would want to start adding additives to your oil unless you are loosing power or you have heavy blue smoke comming from your exhaust. As far as synthetic goes you might want to think about going to a synthetic blend first before going fully synthetic. The problem with synthetic is that it is extremely thin and if it has not been run in an engine that has a lot of miles it will not seal around the rings properly and you will have a lot of blow-by and eventually glaze your piston rings. Start with a synthetic blend first for 2 oil changes then go to a fully synthetic oil. I recommend amsoil if you can afford it. Bout $10/quart. Synthetic oil is definately the way to go if you plan on keeping the motor in "like new" condition. When using synthetic try to stay with the same oil weight that you have been using.

Hope this helps! just my $.02
Gah, I hate reading these myths about synthetic that people purport to be facts. Sythetic oil is not "thin" as compared to dino oil, and it is not "more slippery". It has whatever viscosity it says on the label, same as dino oil. The reason why switching to synthetic after a reasonably long time running dino is that dino oil builds up more crap (for lack of a better term) and the synthetics tend to have more detergents and other additives, so the crap that was holding the engine together gets washed away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts