Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so today i decided to change my spark plugs. right before I changed them i seafoamed a vacum line on the "kleen air" hose. I ran it and smoke started coming out of the side fairing. after that i changed the plugs and put everythiung back together, went to take it for a ride and it had no power. drove for a little while and didnt get any better. so i took everything apart and checked all the plugs and wires and they are all getting spark. after inspecting it the only difference i see is that cylinder 1 and 2 look very wet inside the carb housing. i have no idea why 3 and 4 are dry and 1 and 2 look wet even tho they are getting spark. if anyone has any idea please let me know

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
I'm not a fan of any additive. Not saying that's what caused the problem here but it doesn't help. Additives are just a bandaid for a temporary fix, if any. If there's something wrong, just fix it, don't add it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
vacuum leak, carb needs cleaned, or loss of compression most likely imo. make sure ur sync ports are tight and the carbs are in tight with no leaks. leaks can throw the carbs off.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The hose that goes from the top of the carbs to the kleen air valve is connected to the float bowls. The line is supposed to pressureize the float bowels. By pouring sea foam into it you may have:
1. flooded some of the cylinders
2. clogged the line when bits of rubber was washed away by the sea foam

If you did flood your cylinders (depending on how badly) you may have a bent rod (hopefully not)

Also smoke isn't supposed to come out from under the fairings... If it is you probably have an exhaust leak of some kind.

I'd start with a carb clean and leak down test.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well took everything apart and made sure all the vacum lines were right, finished the kleen air mod, running great now. thinking the kleen air valve was just full of seafoam making it run rough. thanks guys

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
another tale of seafoam... good grief.... lol

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Seafoam works fine, problem is operator error.

When there is a pile of black shit blowing out the exhaust you know it's removing something. At any rate, you have to administer the stuff directly to the vac ports in a fully warmed up engine, then shut it off for a few minutes to let it "soak" in order to get the intake valves. The problem with that though is that it does fuckall for the exhaust valves and those are the ones that really get dirty.

I use it in the gas as a just in case after cleaning carbs, and in the oil before the first change I do on a new-to-me bike. Thats about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts