Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been riding bikes since around that age of 6 years old. I continued into my mid 20's but then had a long lay off after being kind of forced off motorbikes by the other half for some 16 years where I turned to tuned Japanese cars for a while but the bug never left. I managed to finally get back on bikes with consent back in 2013. The only compromise was no race replicas.

The architect of my return then was the fabulous under the radar Tuono in stealth black. I had always had Aprilia's and have been a fan since the age of 13 when I started working and saving for an AF1 50cc so I could ride it at 16. Aside from the fact that this Limited launch edition with all carbon bodywork, kevlar, ergal and titanium components and the full power Mille engine was even more bonkers and hooliganistic than it's faired RSV sibling was thankfully somewhat lost on her as this swooped subtly into my life.

Not the safest way to make a return as a born again biker...

When I was younger I had a mess about trail bike also, so to complete the return came an adventure tourer later that year. I've been on numerous long distance camping trips with this and it's a superb bike, sporting the same V twin 1000cc engine as the Tuono above but in a detuned state.

Then, this year two of my old favourites came up. The first one, was the first bike I really fell in love with and was in awe of it's design. I was introduced to it through the Tamiya year handbook and it was around the same time that Streethawk had been airing. It was the coolest bike I had ever seen, the Katana GSX750SE Pop Up.

When I began riding on the road in 1992, the next bike I fell in love with was the ZXR 750. A chap in town had one and I promised myself one day. I've been close to buying one many times over the last couple of decades but it never happened and I didn't want to buy without consent. Well the above bikes paved their way finally to that race rep. As a born again biker I'm no longer the nutcase I once was so I think she trusts me with one now.

So along came the beautiful ZXR750R M1

So that's my story and my stable for now.

Cheers
Nito

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Nice machines especially that Katana! Wow!... do I remember that one. Some of us know what's that like to have taken a hiatus then returning back to these machines, at least for me, it's even more rewarding. Welcome back Nito!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Will,

Yes the Katana, a few more pics...

The Tamiya box art that sucked me in as a kid...

and the real deal...

The all important flip up laser, I mean headlight ;)

You have to recalibrate your brain back to 1984 when you ride it, but it's a real pleasure to ride and it really is a trip back in time. The smell, the ergos (even the bars trap your thumbs between the tank at full lock!) and it's an air cooled lump with an oil cooler. Steers really quickly too with it's skinnier tyres. Mine still has the original supplying dealer metal badge on the front mudguard!

Cheers
Nito

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Impressive on all levels. The condition is insane...looks like you took it right out of the box. How many miles on the Katana? Back in 1984 although I wanted a Katana, I couldn't even afford :laugh2: one so had to settle for a I think was a 1977 Honda CB 550 with spoke rims and kerker exhaust..but it was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Will,

It’s in remarkable condition for 24 years old but only covered 5k miles, it needs a deep clean with the fairings off and full inspection so I haven’t ridden it out on the road yet but it’s something I’m really looking forward to once our weather improves :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts